Spiraller
Topic Author

Re: Can you write down chance-cast spells in your grimoire?

Sat 16 Mar 2019, 22:56

Wow, amazing! Thanks for the tip! Powergame like a boss! Ha ha.

hperantunes

Sat 16 Mar 2019, 23:00

Wow, amazing! Thanks for the tip! Powergame like a boss! Ha ha.
My players are pretty good at this. :)

Eldhierta

Sun 17 Mar 2019, 02:55

The way I read the rules this seems to be allowed, yes.

Though it allows for a fresh, newly-created druid or sorcerer to do this:
  1. Eschew your initial general talent for Rank 2 on your magical path.
  2. Chance-cast your favorite Rank 3 spell and pray to Rust you don't die in the process.
  3. Grab some parchment and ink, succeed in your Lore test, and write it down.
  4. Go wild, happily casting the aforementioned Rank 3 spell from your grimoire like a boss - not bad for someone who has just learned to cast spells, eh?
And this is why I don't allow it =D Also, legendary and powerful grimoires lose their purpose if any newb can just make their own if they are lucky enough to survive this foolish endeavour.

hperantunes

Sun 17 Mar 2019, 05:28

And this is why I don't allow it =D Also, legendary and powerful grimoires lose their purpose if any newb can just make their own if they are lucky enough to survive this foolish endeavour.
You can always house-rule it out of your game but unless any of the game's designers come forward and rectify this, it seems to be rules as written.

Of course, as a GM I personally think this exploit was not intended - in any game, when a beginner character gets almost instant, cheap and permanent access to end-game abilities, it usually means something is very wrong.

Magnapocryphe

Fri 22 Mar 2019, 12:43

Help me with that please
- why mage do not have Grimoire at start?
- how to appraise the Grimoire?
- is druid can have Grimoire or sorcerer only?
Hi!
I would Say :
- mage Can have one at start : they Can spend money to buy one, it UP to him ;-)
- i would start from random tables, and consider it as a magical object : many gold maybe 2 per spells
- of course druid can have one, why not? :-D
If you see the Buddha on the road,
Kill the Buddha.

VoxenTass

Fri 22 Mar 2019, 19:52

"...you can cast a spell at one rank above your magical talent. However, this comes at a great risk, as you will automatically suffer a random magical mishap in this case." (their italics, not mine)
To me, it would seem that you could indeed write the spell in a grimoire if you so choose, but even if you use said book AND the spell component to further reduce willpower cost, you still would automatically have to roll on the table. This would be the balance in casting spells higher than your current training level requires. You could still write the spell down and cast it that way with the intent of reducing the willpower cost of said casting, but you would still always have to roll for a mishap until you raised your talent up. At least, that's how our group has interpreted the rules.

Klas Bas

Sat 23 Mar 2019, 02:30

But a grimoire doesn’t reduce the willpower cost. It only lowers the rank of the spell. The rank of the spell has nothing to do with the willpower cost either, it only regulates which spells you are able to cast.

Magnapocryphe

Sat 23 Mar 2019, 08:55

Yep! Klas bas is right.

As said on the "more predictible Magic mishaps" topic, rules by the Book are :

- i'm rank 1, planning to cast rank 2 spell.
- i need 1 WP (at least, depending on the effectivement) and suffer one mishap.
Here, i use only 1WP.
- thé Power of the spell is 1 then.

- if i use ingrédient, the Power rises to 2

- if the spell is written, its rank become 1 and i no more suffer automatic mishap. I Roll to see.

BUT there is one way to reduce power impact with writing a spell down : secure casting.
This is only possible if my rank is strictly higher than those of the spell.
If i cast a rank 2 spell written, its rank is 1.
As my own rank is 1 too, i can't securise thé cast.
The written spell casting rule allows to secure spells that were originally of my rank, not above, since they fall one rank lower.
If i cast a rank 1 spell written, its actual rank is 0. I Can secure one die.
It doesn't change the power level. It just change thé risk of getting a mishap by reducing it, as thé risk is a consequence of the power level.

This is the only way i Can see, by the Book, to interact with the power level with writing a spell.
If not, no more effects. ;-)
If you see the Buddha on the road,
Kill the Buddha.

BlissRage

Mon 23 Aug 2021, 04:21

Years later I'm coming into the game. Seems like PH specifically says you cannot write down a spell cast with chance cast (p. 121, "chance casting doesn't count") . . . is this a new rule since this discussion, or a rule some folks choose not to use?

Fenhorn

Mon 23 Aug 2021, 07:35

Years later I'm coming into the game. Seems like PH specifically says you cannot write down a spell cast with chance cast (p. 121, "chance casting doesn't count") . . . is this a new rule since this discussion, or a rule some folks choose not to use?
It is new (from the 2nd printing).
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore