xedric
Topic Author

More thoughts on names

Mon 18 Feb 2019, 11:59

Since Im working on my generators for the Forbidden Lands (found here) I often look at the names in the material by Fria Ligan. I dont want to generate names that I have invented but rather names I have invented that sound, look and feel like the names in the books.

So looking at the names of the rost brothers. The names (in swedish) that I have found so far are: Zygofer, Zytera, Pyronax, Kartorda, Feroxa and Teramalda. These are the only names in the books that have the letters z and x. I think Kartorda and Teramalda sounds like the generic nordic fantasy names you find throughout the books. These two names could have been names of dwarves or whatever. The other names hold some clues though as to how I want to generate rost brother names that are unique yet sound like the names in the books.

I think the names have a slight roman sound. Maybe it is the letter x that does it. Im not sure but I think that rost brother names that are inspired by roman names could work. What do you think? And lots of letters z and x of course.

Then there is the name Feroxa. Fer as in Ferrum which is latin for iron. Not a coincidence I think. So names should often have the syllable fer or ferr as a nod to this. Or other syllables that sound like iron, rust or the colors of iron and rust: grey and red.

Then there is the name Heme which I think comes from Hemoglobin, the protein inside red blood cells. So names could definatley have parts that are connected to this: hem hemo, heme

Thoughts? Soon there will be Rust brother names available in the generator! And Rust brother village names too.

AndersP

Re: More thoughts on names

Mon 18 Feb 2019, 12:06

Yes, I also get a slight roman name-feel to their names. In Grindbone you have another name btw which is Hamedas. In Hagglers house there is Rembredo and Karuptus.

Brior

Mon 18 Feb 2019, 12:28

Some short comments (I really don't want to be interpreted as ”the truth” here being the constructor, but instead encourage whatever you guys come up with that works!):

* All names in one culture don't necessarily have the same basis. Some names probably stem from immigrants, different classes, merged older cultures, old spelling etc. In fact I usually go for general rules in these cases but make sure to include ample exceptions when I construct worlds, since this is how it is in the real world. I get somewhat tired when all names look the same. As a minimum you could have two different naming practices and mix them.

* I made a table of sample names for each kin and culture in FL, but I don't remember if it made it into the books. For Alderlanders I suggested: ”Names with a Germanic/Latin touch. Cognomina are common, based on deeds, occupation, physical traits or area of origin.” (ie Bordwyl Twofinger etc)

* The letters ”y” and ”z” in Latin stem from ancient Greek, so you could add some Greek types of names too. These names probably are connected to Aslene way back since names there are even more greek in style (Kratullos, Ansander etc).

* Feroxa is indeed from Ferrum and also oxide = rust. Any iron based names would be suitable for Rust connected people, so bring out your dictionaries and chemical books ;-). Heme is also the red (iron containing) substance in blood (not really a protein though – proteins make upp the globulin part of hemoglobin). Since nobody (?) noticed so far: the Haggler's house Heme temple is actually built in the chemical form of a Heme-group ;-).

xedric
Topic Author

Mon 18 Feb 2019, 13:57

Yes, I also get a slight roman name-feel to their names. In Grindbone you have another name btw which is Hamedas. In Hagglers house there is Rembredo and Karuptus.
Thanks! Ill add those names to my list. They also sound slightly roman-ish btw.

xedric
Topic Author

Mon 18 Feb 2019, 14:14

Some short comments (I really don't want to be interpreted as ”the truth” here being the constructor, but instead encourage whatever you guys come up with that works!):

* All names in one culture don't necessarily have the same basis. Some names probably stem from immigrants, different classes, merged older cultures, old spelling etc. In fact I usually go for general rules in these cases but make sure to include ample exceptions when I construct worlds, since this is how it is in the real world. I get somewhat tired when all names look the same. As a minimum you could have two different naming practices and mix them.

* I made a table of sample names for each kin and culture in FL, but I don't remember if it made it into the books. For Alderlanders I suggested: ”Names with a Germanic/Latin touch. Cognomina are common, based on deeds, occupation, physical traits or area of origin.” (ie Bordwyl Twofinger etc)

* The letters ”y” and ”z” in Latin stem from ancient Greek, so you could add some Greek types of names too. These names probably are connected to Aslene way back since names there are even more greek in style (Kratullos, Ansander etc).

* Feroxa is indeed from Ferrum and also oxide = rust. Any iron based names would be suitable for Rust connected people, so bring out your dictionaries and chemical books ;-). Heme is also the red (iron containing) substance in blood (not really a protein though – proteins make upp the globulin part of hemoglobin). Since nobody (?) noticed so far: the Haggler's house Heme temple is actually built in the chemical form of a Heme-group ;-).
Wow, thanks! Much appreciated :D 
Totally agree that names should not all follow the excact same pattern. Something I am working on adding more of in my generators.
Ah so heme is actually a substance! I thought it was a made up word :P 

xedric
Topic Author

Mon 18 Feb 2019, 14:28