evilgaz
Topic Author

Tips For a One Shot

Tue 22 Jan 2019, 13:21

Hi All

I'm hopefully trying out a one shot of Forbidden Lands this weekend with some friends. It seems like something we could roll up characters for on the day and use tables to have an adventure along the way, but equally some preparation is usually good and have prepared encounters and knowledge of what characters you're dealing with in advance is normally good for showing a new game off. What's everyone's thoughts of this?  If you were running something as a one shot, would you do the characters in advance? What about the exploration and locations? Are there any good pre-done resources out there (like a set of characters) that are tried and tested (and that I could just steal)?

Cheers!

Gaz

Dudde

Re: Tips For a One Shot

Tue 22 Jan 2019, 13:57

If I have the time, I would run a short combat encounter using pre-made, simple characters. This is to show your players how the system works, and how deadly combat could be.
Then I would let them create their own characters (or keep the pre-made ones) and start with one of the locations from the game (or one of the many fine ones from this forum), the table for random encounters, and the map.
"Whenever I encounter a problem I can't solve, I throw a molotov-cocktail at it, and then I have a NEW problem instead."

finarvyn

Re: Tips For a One Shot

Sun 27 Jan 2019, 02:08

Are there any Pregen characters out there? I'm just getting started with the game (it's on order for me at my local game store, so I don't actually have a copy yet) and I find that looking at Pregens is a great way to get a feel for the game.
Marv / Finarvyn
Fell in love with Tales from The Loop, Vaesen, 5E LotRR ... Now hooked on Dragonbane, which still should be called Drakar och Demoner IMO. Played OD&D since 1975..