Fenhorn

The artifact dice is technically a gear dice, right?

Wed 12 Dec 2018, 20:31

If you have a 'Mighty' Knife. You add one ordinary gear dice and one d8 artifact dice. The weapon dice (+1) can degrade to zero and if that happen the this mighty knife can still be used since it has a non-degradable d8 dice.

edit: or does the artifact dice count as a bonus dice so if the weapon bonus goes down to zero, the item can no longer be used.
“I’d say thistles, but nobody listens to me, anyway.” - Eeyore

lupex

Re: The artifact dice is technically a gear dice, right?

Wed 12 Dec 2018, 22:36

Your first option is the correct interpretation.

Fenhorn

Wed 12 Dec 2018, 23:01

Thanks

The reason I asked was that artifact dice comes from different sources and artifact dice that comes from talents or pride are just bonus dice, so that's was the reason I for a while thought perhaps all artifact dice was just a bonus dice (and not also a gear dice).

Eldhierta

Wed 12 Dec 2018, 23:31

Has this been stated by FL somewhere? I'd argue that even artifacts can break and that the artifact-die is unusable until the weapon/item has been repaired.

Fenhorn

Thu 13 Dec 2018, 00:21

Has this been stated by FL somewhere? I'd argue that even artifacts can break and that the artifact-die is unusable until the weapon/item has been repaired.
Not directly, but it says that "Artifact Dice are never degraded by wear." and that could be interpreted that this is a gear dice without a bane symbol.

Rymdhamster

Thu 13 Dec 2018, 00:56

There is this old thread from January (so that would be in the alpha-stage of the rules) where its said it was intened for the artifact die to have a bane on the 1 and cause breakage of the item:

link

Also this thread from may (so alpha or beta stage, not sure which) which I interpret as meaning that while the artifact die does not degrade, once the weapon is broken it cannot be used untill repaired. But once repaired the artifact die remains: 

link

So nothing current, but it's something to go on atleast. 

Fenhorn

Thu 13 Dec 2018, 01:07

That settled that, for now at least.

lupex

Thu 13 Dec 2018, 10:37

If the current version of the artifact dice do not have a bane, then they do not cause the item to break.

An item that has lost all of its bonus dice can still be used but just doesn't add any bonus dice, it isn't completely broken.

Eldhierta

Thu 13 Dec 2018, 12:16

If the current version of the artifact dice do not have a bane, then they do not cause the item to break.

An item that has lost all of its bonus dice can still be used but just doesn't add any bonus dice, it isn't completely broken.
I disagree. But each to his/her own I guess. I will run my game with artifacts breaking when the Gear Bonus reaches zero, despite the artifact die. The artifact die will only be available for use when the item is in working condition, when it is broken the power lies dormant.

Rymdhamster

Thu 13 Dec 2018, 12:27

Only if you houserule it =)
It says on page 48 of the players book (in the swedish version anyway) that if the gear bonus reaches zero, the item is broken an can not be used at all untill it has been repaired.
GZIP: Off