Aldorf

Re: Monster balance question...

Tue 02 Oct 2018, 10:06

I was thinking one initiative card per 3-4 players, rounding up. So 2 cards for 4-5 players and possibly 3 cards for 7-8 players.
I'd do more. An extra card for every 2-3 players. We've only met and fought one monster so far in game, so it might depend on what you meet. We we're five players and I think it got 3 initiative cards, and I think we might have survuved even one more card.
One extra per player might be a bit much, though =D

Edit: Oh, actually take this with a big grain of salt! I just rememberd that we actually play with a rather significant house rule where we don't actually get fewer dice just because we take misery. We play the same way that monster do, that we always get our full number of dice. From that respect, your count would probably be much more appropriate!

Sorry =)
Well hello there Rymdhamster! 
This is true! The houserule in this case swing the balance quite a bit, but has achieved the desired effect. It is still difficult and deadly to have any fight, but there is less faff with figuring out your dice pool. 
In the encounter with the flock of harpies, the only monster the group has met so far, I only learnt afterwards that they could be given multiple initiative cards for the sake of balance. There was a fair few of them though so even with one initiative against five players they still posed a real threat. I think one card per 2-3 player for the monsters is quite reasonable, when using this houserule.