Fenhorn

Re: Lethal magic

Wed 28 Nov 2018, 13:15

Ok, after a quick peruse I think I've worked out how you can minimise spell casting risk early on for certain spells. You will need:
  • Relevant spell casting Talent at Level 2 (you can get this at character generation)
  • A scroll or grimoire of the spell you want to cast (you can create one of these after you've cast the spell once)
  • ingredients as listed in the spell e.g. Healing herbs
<>
ta-da! (Assuming I've got it right!)
That's how I read it. Also, if you made a spell-casting character with only level 1 in the magic talent (using the L&A booklet or by choice) then the grimoire trick is useful. Perhaps not so useful in a middle of a combat, but as long as you have the time for it, a spell-caster should always use his grimoire and yes a spell-caster should always have a grimoire.
Thanks to that this system is fairly dangerous, ingredients become more important. I like the system. It is also fairly easy to invent new spells for it.
Edit: And who knows, my players might persuade me to allow them to cast true wild magic (perhaps by increasing the improvised spells power level without increasing its effect and letting it automatically mishap, or something like that).
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

d(sqrt(-1))

Wed 28 Nov 2018, 16:11

Great - thanks for the confirmation. I thought it was correct but it's good to see someone else agrees!

Tomas
Site Admin

Fri 14 Dec 2018, 01:34

Great - thanks for the confirmation. I thought it was correct but it's good to see someone else agrees!
This is right, yes. :)

Note that this example supposes a rank 1 spell. Spells of higher ranks are riskier!
Fria Ligan