silverfoxdmt73
Topic Author

MONSTER: Manticore

Mon 19 Feb 2018, 21:40

Hi,

I was wondering what people think of this monster. Are it's abilities in keeping with the games power levels? Let me know of any problems you see.

MANTICORE

These monstrous creatures has a vaguely human looking head, a lion's body and reptilian wings. A wild mane grows around its head and down it's back and it's long tail ends in a cluster of deadly spines that it can shoot out at it's prey. They are cunning predators that hunt their prey over a large territory. They often live in mountainous or hilly areas, flying over their territory to spot potential prey before swooping down and attacking. They often attack first with a volley of tail spikes before moving in for the kill. While not particularly intelligent they can talk and take a sadistic pleasure in taunting their enemies while attacking, mocking them and telling them exactly how they will devour them. Rarely they will spare a victim if they think they can gain some tribute or a greater feast at a later time.

Occasionally, a manticore will serve a more powerful master if they are provided with regular food, acting as a guard to their lair, or as a hunting partner to a giant chief. Manticores have been known to hunt in packs  if threatened by a larger foe. They fear dragons and avoid them whenever possible.

STRENGTH 7, AGILITY 3, WITS 2, EMPATHY 3
PROTECTION: 2 (fur)
MOVEMENT RATE: 2

MONSTER ATTACKS D6:
1. Tail Spikes: A manticore’s tail has a dozen vicious looking tail spikes that the creature can shoot out at it’s opponents. As one of its attacks it can fire up to three spikes at a time, either at a single adventurer or up to three separate ones within SHORT range. The manticore counts as a FAST SHOOTER and counts as having a Marksman skill of 3. (three Base Dice and three Skill Dice) Each spike does 1 Weapon Damage (stab wound)

2. Death from Above:The manticore flies in with its forelegs extended, sweeping in a wide arc. All adventurers within ARM’S LENGTH are attacked using five Base Dice and Weapon Damage 2 (slash wound). Adventurers who are hit are also knocked to the ground. Note that this attack can only be used once per combat encounter.

3. Tail Sweep:Using its long, spiked tail the manticore makes a sweeping attack, hitting all adventurers withinARM’S LENGTH. Roll for an attack using seven Base Dice and Weapon Damage 1 (slash wound) against all victims.

4. VIOLENT BITE:With a low growl, the manticore bites at the nearest adventurer, biting him using all its strength. Perform an attack using seven Base Dice and Weapon Damage 2 (slash wound). The attack can bePARRIED.

5. CLAW STRIKE:The manticore uses its very sharp claws to tear at an adventurer. Roll for an attack using seven Base Dice and Weapon Damage 2 (slash wound). The attack can bePARRIED.

6. TAUNT: The manticore mocks its opponents, ridiculing their size or strength and telling them how easily it will defeat them, making the adventurers tremble with fear. All targets withinNEARrange suffer an attack using six Base Dice, causing DOUBT instead of Damage. The attack can’t beDODGED, and armour doesn’t provide protection.

King_Kull

Re: MONSTER: Manticore

Tue 20 Feb 2018, 00:46

I can only say Wow! Seems very consistent with FbL. But really I‘m not experienced enough with the game to be a good judge of the Manticore.
I am king!

Jurij 1138

Tue 20 Feb 2018, 03:25

Nice!

This should be paired with Nils Gullikson's drawing of a manticore on page 77 of Monsterboken (old supplement for Drakar och Demoner). ;)

Tomas
Site Admin

Tue 20 Feb 2018, 21:56

Very cool. :)
Fria Ligan

silverfoxdmt73
Topic Author

Tue 20 Feb 2018, 22:09

Very cool. :)
Cheers.

I don't suppose there is a list of monsters already to be added to the bestiary for the game? I don't want to create monsters you're already making yourself.

Tomas
Site Admin

Tue 20 Feb 2018, 22:16

Well, actually there is. :) This is the current list. The monster attacks for all of these are not written yet, so feel free to suggest some ideas. :)

Gray Bear
Demon
Minotaur
Harpy
Ent
Manticore
Troll
Skeleton
Ghoul
Giant
Dragon
Flying lizard (english name not set)
Dragonsnake (english name not set)
Hydra
Insectoid
Ghost
Giant Spider
Strangling Vines
Gryphon
Giant Squid
Sea Serpent
Dire Wolf
Giant Earthworm
Fria Ligan

Jurij 1138

Tue 20 Feb 2018, 22:33

Well, actually there is. :) This is the current list. The monster attacks for all of these are not written yet, so feel free to suggest some ideas. :)

Wyvern?
Lindworm?

9littlebees

Tue 20 Feb 2018, 22:42

Wyvern?
Lindworm?
+1 to these suggestions.
I make YZE games (https://drivethrurpg.com/browse.php?author=Matt%20Kay) and produce predominately Free League content on my YouTube channel (https://youtube.com/@3skulls)

silverfoxdmt73
Topic Author

Wed 21 Feb 2018, 00:47

Are you going to include different types of humanoids too besides orc & goblin? Races like hobgoblin, gnolls, ratmen etc?

King_Kull

Wed 21 Feb 2018, 09:01

Are you going to include different types of humanoids too besides orc & goblin? Races like hobgoblin, gnolls, ratmen etc?
Hope there will be not too many races. FbL has another feeling for me than classical fantasy worlds with the obligatory races.
I am king!