I was wondering what people think of this monster. Are it's abilities in keeping with the games power levels? Let me know of any problems you see.
These monstrous creatures has a vaguely human looking head, a lion's body and reptilian wings. A wild mane grows around its head and down it's back and it's long tail ends in a cluster of deadly spines that it can shoot out at it's prey. They are cunning predators that hunt their prey over a large territory. They often live in mountainous or hilly areas, flying over their territory to spot potential prey before swooping down and attacking. They often attack first with a volley of tail spikes before moving in for the kill. While not particularly intelligent they can talk and take a sadistic pleasure in taunting their enemies while attacking, mocking them and telling them exactly how they will devour them. Rarely they will spare a victim if they think they can gain some tribute or a greater feast at a later time.
Occasionally, a manticore will serve a more powerful master if they are provided with regular food, acting as a guard to their lair, or as a hunting partner to a giant chief. Manticores have been known to hunt in packs if threatened by a larger foe. They fear dragons and avoid them whenever possible.
STRENGTH 7, AGILITY 3, WITS 2, EMPATHY 3
PROTECTION: 2 (fur)
MOVEMENT RATE: 2
MONSTER ATTACKS D6:
1. Tail Spikes: A manticore’s tail has a dozen vicious looking tail spikes that the creature can shoot out at it’s opponents. As one of its attacks it can fire up to three spikes at a time, either at a single adventurer or up to three separate ones within SHORT range. The manticore counts as a FAST SHOOTER and counts as having a Marksman skill of 3. (three Base Dice and three Skill Dice) Each spike does 1 Weapon Damage (stab wound)
2. Death from Above:The manticore flies in with its forelegs extended, sweeping in a wide arc. All adventurers within ARM’S LENGTH are attacked using five Base Dice and Weapon Damage 2 (slash wound). Adventurers who are hit are also knocked to the ground. Note that this attack can only be used once per combat encounter.
3. Tail Sweep:Using its long, spiked tail the manticore makes a sweeping attack, hitting all adventurers withinARM’S LENGTH. Roll for an attack using seven Base Dice and Weapon Damage 1 (slash wound) against all victims.
4. VIOLENT BITE:With a low growl, the manticore bites at the nearest adventurer, biting him using all its strength. Perform an attack using seven Base Dice and Weapon Damage 2 (slash wound). The attack can bePARRIED.
5. CLAW STRIKE:The manticore uses its very sharp claws to tear at an adventurer. Roll for an attack using seven Base Dice and Weapon Damage 2 (slash wound). The attack can bePARRIED.
6. TAUNT: The manticore mocks its opponents, ridiculing their size or strength and telling them how easily it will defeat them, making the adventurers tremble with fear. All targets withinNEARrange suffer an attack using six Base Dice, causing DOUBT instead of Damage. The attack can’t beDODGED, and armour doesn’t provide protection.