Fragpuss

Re: Missing oppotunities for scorcerers in the gerneral skills

Sat 27 Jan 2018, 17:26

Some interesting ideas here, a couple that occurred to me were:

Some sort of Alchemy talent that allows you to forage/scrounge/prepare ingredients
Something like the Path of Gold or Path of Many Things that allows you to rummage in your pack / pockets and find an ingredient if you don't have it on your character sheet.
Some sort of talent that allows you to create a staff/amulet or other focus to either store WP or replace the need for ingredients.

Haven't really got through the Magic chapter yet, so that's all a bit off the cuff. Still trying to get my head around combat.

Blatifagus

Sat 27 Jan 2018, 19:06

I'd like a crafting-talent that let casters imbue items (like staves and sacrificial knives) with power so that they can be used as spellingredients multiple times.

And I'd like a kind of cantrip-talent, that let casters use magical cantrips, like igniting a candle, be protected from insect bites, flip through a book etc.

lupex

Sat 27 Jan 2018, 19:09

I agree that there need to be more magic utility spell talents.

King_Kull

Sat 27 Jan 2018, 20:21

Some kind of Cantrips would be cool. Protection from rain for the caster, Dry, Ignite, but nothing that can be used in combat to damage someone. Level 0 spells anyone? ;)
I am king!

lupex

Sat 27 Jan 2018, 20:30

Some kind of Cantrips would be cool. Protection from rain for the caster, Dry, Ignite, but nothing that can be used in combat to damage someone. Level 0 spells anyone? ;)
Sounds good

9littlebees

Sat 27 Jan 2018, 20:44

Cantrips work well for D&D and other high fantasy games, but they don't fit into every fantasy setting.

Spellcasting here is dangerous, and I feel Cantrips would weaken the magic system in the setting. I say hooray for big bad spells, and risking a mishap each time you decide to cast.

King_Kull

Sun 28 Jan 2018, 02:12

Don’t think it will weaken the magic system. But without any background information about magic itself and how it’s observed by people in the world it can be so. But I like the idea that a caster could ignite his pipe with magic. It’s such a little bit of magic that it can’t be dangerous. But perhaps it’s always dangerous to use magic than cantrips obviously fit in the world.
I am king!

Klas

Sun 28 Jan 2018, 04:21

I'm for cantrips if they really provide no tactical advantages at all. So no free lights in the dark or mental effects that help you persuade your opponent etc.

Fragpuss

Sun 28 Jan 2018, 10:58

I'm with Kull and 9littlebees. Magic is clearly a serious and dangerous business in this world and, for me, cantrips would feel as though casters are taking it too lightly. Arguably, the fine control of magical forces required to light your pipe without burning the inn to the ground would take the skill of a master.

King_Kull

Sun 28 Jan 2018, 11:09

I'm with Kull and 9littlebees. Magic is clearly a serious and dangerous business in this world and, for me, cantrips would feel as though casters are taking it too lightly. Arguably, the fine control of magical forces required to light your pipe without burning the inn to the ground would take the skill of a master.
But I‘m only against Cantrips If magic really is so dangerous ;)
And really I can’t believe this considering how it will influence the working of magic in the world.
First only power hungry or desperate people would consider learning magic as it’s so dangerous and corruptive.
Second as you need a master who will teach you - who in his right state of mind would teach a pupil magic if there wouldn’t be spells that can be used to show the working of magic without danger to the teacher and the pupil? I hope that all spellcasters aren’t crazy ;)
And so I come back to the 0 Level spells aka Cantrips. Ignite a candle, protect yourself from rain and others. I‘m with Klaas on this one: no tactical advantage through Cantrips.
I am king!