lupex

Crafting skill

Sat 06 Jan 2018, 01:17

It doesn't feel appropriate to have it based on Strength, it would make more sense for it to be based off Wits. I know strength was chosen to even out the skill distribution but it just isn't logical, unless it's for black smithing things?

Fenhorn

Re: Crafting skill

Sat 06 Jan 2018, 01:56

Well, most of the crafting will be for weapons, armours and shields. So blacksmithing is mostly what you do with the skill.
“I’d say thistles, but nobody listens to me, anyway.” - Eeyore

Eldhierta

Sat 06 Jan 2018, 02:15

It doesn't feel appropriate to have it based on Strength, it would make more sense for it to be based off Wits. I know strength was chosen to even out the skill distribution but it just isn't logical, unless it's for black smithing things?
I will use a modular approach for this where the governing attribute will be decided by what kind of crafting you're attempting. STR for Blacksmithing or Construction, WIT for Design/Architecture or Alchemy, AGI for Sewing/Leatherworking or Bowmaking and CHA for Litterature or Art.

And so on. As long as the player can motivate the attribute, I'll allow it. Motivate it well.

King_Kull

Sat 06 Jan 2018, 09:33

I will use a modular approach for this where the governing attribute will be decided by what kind of crafting you're attempting. STR for Blacksmithing or Construction, WIT for Design/Architecture or Alchemy, AGI for Sewing/Leatherworking or Bowmaking and CHA for Litterature or Art.

And so on. As long as the player can motivate the attribute, I'll allow it. Motivate it well.
Yes, that’s a good rule - perhaps it could make it into the official rules ;)
CHA will not be used in my campaign. Literature and Art will be made with the Performance skill.
I am king!

lupex

Sat 06 Jan 2018, 11:33

That makes a lot of sense, consider it stolen. I agree that it would be good to call out in the rules. Is there more guidance on crafting beyond the skill description?

9littlebees

Sat 06 Jan 2018, 17:47

Yep, disconnecting skills from attributes (when a good explanation is given by the player) is a pretty standard MYZ houserule, and there are many people keen on the idea, as discussed on an earlier thread (the one with lots of posts about skills).

Arnold

Sat 06 Jan 2018, 19:21

At tales from the loop, i have aloud my players to describe how they actually usa a skill and then find the matching attribute for it.
Don´t see any necessarity in copling the two strictly together ...

Tomas
Site Admin

Thu 11 Jan 2018, 00:07

This house rule is fine, and might even become an official option.

The reason for the hard coupling of attribute+skill is to create a balance between attributes and avoid lengthy discussions mid-game about what attribute to use. But if varying attributes works fine in your group, use it. :)
Fria Ligan

9littlebees

Thu 11 Jan 2018, 15:19

This house rule is fine, and might even become an official option.

The reason for the hard coupling of attribute+skill is to create a balance between attributes and avoid lengthy discussions mid-game about what attribute to use. But if varying attributes works fine in your group, use it. :)
Yeah, the balance is understood, but I think mentioning it as a valid option in the book would be good.

Jizmack

Thu 11 Jan 2018, 19:39

I think the rules have already resolved this issue by way of talents.
The craft skill is used to repair damaged items or to make simple items from raw materials. Without talents, the character is just remaking a basic item made from mostly hard/heavy materials. This doesn’t require much creativity or highly dexterous fingers; it requires physical force.
However, if you want to master-craft an item or craft advanced items that are more intricate/complex (needing agility and wits) then you need to also have the talent.
Works fine in my humble opinion.
GZIP: Off