King_Kull

Re: Damage and recovery

Sat 27 Jan 2018, 10:16

In the combat rules it states, “when your Strength hits zero, you suffer a critical injury.”
Isn’t it better if instead you suffer a critical injury when you suffer more damage than your Strength?
This would give you a small window where you can be broken by damage in combat without being critically injured.
It also addresses the case when you are broken by pushing Strength-based rolls.
You mean the max Strength of a character?
I am king!

lupex

Sat 27 Jan 2018, 11:55

Starvation is a form of non-typical damage. We'll clarify.
It might just be because we don't have the critical hit tables in english yet.

Jizmack

Sun 28 Jan 2018, 02:54

In the combat rules it states, “when your Strength hits zero, you suffer a critical injury.”
Isn’t it better if instead you suffer a critical injury when you suffer more damage than your Strength?
This would give you a small window where you can be broken by damage in combat without being critically injured.
It also addresses the case when you are broken by pushing Strength-based rolls.
You mean the max Strength of a character?
Yeah, basically when your Strength goes negative instead of just zero.

Fragpuss

Sun 28 Jan 2018, 11:08

I think Kull's suggestion - please correct me if I'm wrong - is that you sustain a critical injury if you suffer more damage in one blow than your normal maximum strength. So a single mighty blow can cause a critical, but a succession of minor wounds can't.

I could get behind that. I've seen it in other systems (not Coriolis this time, you'll be pleased to know  ;) )

King_Kull

Sun 28 Jan 2018, 11:12

I think Kull's suggestion - please correct me if I'm wrong - is that you sustain a critical injury if you suffer more damage in one blow than your normal maximum strength. So a single mighty blow can cause a critical, but a succession of minor wounds can't.

I could get behind that. I've seen it in other systems (not Coriolis this time, you'll be pleased to know  ;) )
Yes this was my interpretation as I read the description from Jizmack.
I am king!

lupex

Sun 28 Jan 2018, 11:20

I am in favour of characters being able to score critical injuries to end a fight, rather than having to wear each opponent down wth standard damage.

King_Kull

Sun 28 Jan 2018, 11:50

I am in favour of characters being able to score critical injuries to end a fight, rather than having to wear each opponent down wth standard damage.
I‘m not sure what I wish for. As the game was playtested it the system seems to function as RAW. And as I haven’t seen a single adversary I have no feeling for combat. If a normal enemy has a Strength of 2 or 3 than it’s not much work to bring him down to 0 I assume. The thing with crits is that opponents could use it too. As I have written that reminds me of Rolemaster (and I didn’t like that game too much). A game that I really liked is WFRP. You and your opponents have Wounds and when they are below 0 the characters receives crits. That is very much like in FL. And I like it. Because you could place a big bad baddie at the doorstep of your players and then a heavy combat would ensure. In RM: second round, lucky crit for a player, BBB is dead. No intersting combat where the players have to fear for the life of their characters. This is my personal taste.
Last edited by King_Kull on Sun 28 Jan 2018, 12:11, edited 1 time in total.
I am king!

Fragpuss

Sun 28 Jan 2018, 12:04

That's a fair point. Coriolis (I know, here I go again ;)) has hit points (=Strength + Agility) rather than depleting the attributes themselves, so it takes (a little) longer to wear someone down. 

To my mind though, if a typical PC (and thus NPC) is going to have a strength of 3 then they're likely to go down with one or two hits anyway - a critical hit isn't going to significantly shorten the fight. Even a humanoid BBB is going to have Strength 6 at most (assuming they follow the RAW for character creation), so they're not going to be able to absorb much more punishment.

King_Kull

Sun 28 Jan 2018, 12:16

How about some optional rules in the game? There could be some areas where such ideas as crits are written. There are some games that have such ways to incorporate some alternative rules for the interested.
I am king!

lupex

Sun 28 Jan 2018, 12:23

That's a fair point. Coriolis (I know, here I go again ;)) has hit points (=Strength + Agility) rather than depleting the attributes themselves, so it takes (a little) longer to wear someone down. 

To my mind though, if a typical PC (and thus NPC) is going to have a strength of 3 then they're likely to go down with one or two hits anyway - a critical hit isn't going to significantly shorten the fight. Even a humanoid BBB is going to have Strength 6 at most (assuming they follow the RAW for character creation), so they're not going to be able to absorb much more punishment.
It might not shorten the fight by much but it will make it more brutal and fun and unexpected, and players could then choose to continue to fight even though they have a mortal wound, maybe by spending a WP or something? And it makes the choice of spending additional ⚔️ more interesting than just doing additional damage.  

Also, what would be the point of inflicting a critical hit on an enemy that is already broken, the fight is finished anyway?