Klas

Re: Damage and recovery

Sun 21 Jan 2018, 13:27

That fatigue is related to hydration doesn't seem strange to me. So then that you can't heal it without access to water seems quite natural. One could argue that you cannot heal any of the traits without water.

Either way, the emphasis is on the REST and this makes it easier to narrate. The resource mechanics just forces a focus on survival gameplay, which seems like a good fit for the setting.

I see a bigger problem with how deadly it is to be starving. You die after just a few days when going without food. For water that would be fine. For food I'd expect to live quite a bit longer :)

Jizmack

Wed 24 Jan 2018, 21:16

Yes, I agree, Starvation is extremely overwhelming.
I would suggest that instead of dying when broken by hunger, you should just be unable to recover unless you eat again.

King_Kull

Thu 25 Jan 2018, 18:16

How often will a character die of starvation? As I have not played the game I really could not say if it's really happening often.
I am king!

Klas

Thu 25 Jan 2018, 21:17

It also seems it should be possible to act in limited ways when it comes to hunger. It's more endurable than having been downed by an enemy in combat. E.g. that the character is reduced to 0 stat dice when subject to STARVATION, but not prevented from acting entirely. It might also make sense to have a profession talent that lets you spend KP to reduce the penalty further. (I seem to remember that there already is something like that?)

lupex

Fri 26 Jan 2018, 13:23

On a separate note, is it possible to receive a critical injury without being broken? 

And if you are broken by a CONDITION do you also take a critical injury?
Last edited by lupex on Fri 26 Jan 2018, 13:33, edited 1 time in total.

Eldhierta

Fri 26 Jan 2018, 13:32

On a separate note, is it possible to receive a critical injury without being broken? 
And if you are broken by a CONDITION do you take a critical injury?
Critical injuries are only inflicted when you are broken by damage, i.e. when your STR hits zero. At least that is the case in M:Y0.

Fenhorn

Fri 26 Jan 2018, 14:10

You can get "Sprained Ankle" by failing some Survival checks.
My interpretation is that if you become broken by for example Hunger Damage it is a special case the Hunger itself counts as the "critical injury" in that case. The text say that you will die after one more day of hunger.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

King_Kull

Fri 26 Jan 2018, 15:48

You can get "Sprained Ankle" by failing some Survival checks.
My interpretation is that if you become broken by for example Hunger Damage it is a special case the Hunger itself counts as the "critical injury" in that case. The text say that you will die after one more day of hunger.
Yes, you aren’t suffering a Critical when you reach 0 by Hunger or Thirst. You will be only dead - and that’s sad enough ;)
I am king!

Jizmack

Fri 26 Jan 2018, 22:28

In the combat rules it states, “when your Strength hits zero, you suffer a critical injury.”
Isn’t it better if instead you suffer a critical injury when you suffer more damage than your Strength?
This would give you a small window where you can be broken by damage in combat without being critically injured.
It also addresses the case when you are broken by pushing Strength-based rolls.

Tomas
Site Admin

Sat 27 Jan 2018, 09:55

Starvation is a form of non-typical damage. We'll clarify.
Fria Ligan