Eldhierta

Re: Alpha- Rules

Fri 19 Jan 2018, 01:26

I posted this on the magic of FbL in the Swedish forums, I apologize in advance for the rough translation:

Regarding the magic in FbL I wonder if there will be a talent in the finished game that allows you to change profession, like in MY:0, or if magic will be exclusive to the mage and the druid? In my opinion that would be a bit disappointing, magic being reserved for two specific classes.

So I've pondered if one should re-make the mage into the profession scholar and the druid into... well, druid, but without the forced magical bond, more like a custodian of nature. Might be a bit similar to the ranger, oh well... The magical traditions wouldn't be bound to any one profession and all PC's would be able to study the arcane arts, if they find a tutor. The scholar and the druid would, just like the other professions, have three different profession talents to choose from of which two would be bound to their affinity for knowledge/nature/magic, something like having an easier time learning magic than other classes or maybe being able to discern a spell while someone is weaving it or something similar. The third one would be one of the three magical traditions bound to their profession as stated by the current rules.

Proposed talents:

THE PATH OF KNOWLEDGE (Scholar)
You are well versed in the ancient knowledge that permeates the Ravenlands, the myths and mysteries that tell the history of the kingdom. The things that you don't know about the Forbidden Lands are not worth knowing.

TIER 1:
By spending a point of willpower you get +1 on any skill roll. Your rigorous education have given you theoretical knowledge of how to use the skill to achieve optimal results. In theory. May even be used to grant another player a bonus on a roll in addition to the bonus of being aided (with this ability a player may have up to four bonus die if they are being aided by three PC's + a PC using The Path of Knowledge).
TIER 2:
When you roll for LORE to get information about an ancient ruin or artifact you may spend one point of willpower to automatically succeed with the roll.
TIER 3:
In a social conflict against a larger group or if you try to convince your opponent that you're in the right you may spend willpower to cause your opponents to become confused by citing obscure infromation and facts from one of your old tomes. Every point of willpower spent allows you to give one point of confusion to an opponent.

THE PATH OF THE RITUALIST (Scholar)
You are a master of rituals and the use of ingredients in magic. A prepared magician is a wise magician.

TIER 1:
By spending one point of willpower while weaving a ritual requiring an ingredient that you are missing you may adapt the ritual to suit the situation and be able to cast it without ingredients. The willpower required for the ritual is spent separately.
TIER 2:
When you use an ingredient to cast a spell you may spend one point of willpower to tripple the effect of the ingredient. The spell is magnified by three degrees instead of one. May not be combined with tier 1.
TIER 3:
By spending willpower when you observe someone else casting a spell or ritual you are able to learn it automatically. The cost in willpower is one point per tier of the spell or ritual being cast.

THE WAY OF NATURE (Custodian)
You are bound to the wilds and it's power and strength courses through your body. You are the messenger of life.

TIER 1:
When you roll for HEALING you may spend willpower to automatically succeed, nature aiding you in your mission. Each point of willpower cures one point of misery in the afflicted attribute.
TIER 2:
If you are being attacked by wild animals you may spend willpower to calm them. Each point of willpower pacifies one individual (may need to be adjusted depending on animal size).
TIER 3:
By spending willpower while travelling through the wilds you cut the time needed to cross a zone in half, for you and your group. One point of willpower per zone. Nature creates a path for it's champion.

THE PATH OF THE CUSTODIAN (Custodian)
Nature is assailed by enemies from every direction. By demons and their spawn, by the sacrilegious invaders who carve, cut and burn to build their ugly settlements. You are the protector of life, nature's custodian.

TIER 1:
By spending one point of willpower your roll for STEALTH automatically succeeds while in the wilds. Additional willpower may be spent to help your companions succeed with their STEALTH rolls as well.
TIER 2:
You are used to fighting beneath the forest's canopy and may spend one point of willpower to distract your opponent while fighting in the wilds. By using nature to your advantage you set your opponent off balance, the distraction causing him to receive a negative modifier of -1D6 on every roll till the battle ends.
TIER 3:
When battling abominations not of nature, such as the undead, demons and creatures tainted by demonic energies you can use the power of nature itself to defeat them. Each point of willpower spent causes two points of damage on a target of your choice (that fits the criteria).

Obvious WIP, but I think there is a grain of awesome somewhere within.

Tomas
Site Admin

Fri 19 Jan 2018, 02:07

@Tomas

I just tried printing the first 3 Alpha chapters (I find it a lot easier to read on paper than on a screen) and noticed that there is a very light grey background on every page.  This makes it extremely expensive to print at home, as every page is effectively filled in with ink.

Is there any chance you can turn this background off and possibly resend it with the next chapters, as well as keeping the background off of future alpha releases?  My printer and wallet would be ever so grateful!!
That should be doable, yes. :)
Fria Ligan

9littlebees

Sun 28 Jan 2018, 20:51

That should be doable, yes. :)
Sorry to pester you, but is there any update on this? I'd really like to be able to print out the alpha chapters.

Tomas
Site Admin

Thu 01 Feb 2018, 21:26

It's on our todo-list! :)
Fria Ligan

King_Kull

Wed 07 Feb 2018, 00:42

Chapter 7
Page 134
PATHFINDING MISHAPS
Perhaps it would be better to call Quicksand Treacherous Ground. This term is not so special and can be used for a variety of terrain, such as Marshland, Forest, etc.

Page 141
EXPLORE
What happens if I explore? A hint where we can find more information would be good.

Page 141
SEA TRAVEL
And what’s the speed of rafts, boat, etc.?

Chapter 9
Page 147
PROTECTION
Does it work like armor? The Grey Bear has for example a protection of 4 therefore the GM can roll 4 dice?

Page 147
MIGHTY ROAR
“…then the gray bear lets out a roar mighty roar,…” = “…lets out a mighty roar,…”
Page 156
PUSH OF DEATH
Is the vicitm of the attack also prone?
Page 156
PARALYZING CHILL = PARALYZING CHILL
Chapter 10
Page 167
THE MASSACRE LURE
“A dozen humansare crawling…” = “A dozen humans are…”
I am king!

silverfoxdmt73

Wed 07 Feb 2018, 16:45

Pg93, there is no Pike in the weapon table.

Jizmack

Thu 08 Feb 2018, 01:21

Mot sure if this has already been mentioned...

Chapter 5, page 95
“Taking cover behind something counts as a fast action.”
Chapter 5, page 77
‘Take Cover’ is not on the Fast Action list.

Arnold

Thu 08 Feb 2018, 17:08

Their seems to me a mistake in the english charakter sheet.

UTSEENDE should be appearance or something like that

The1TrueFredrix

Thu 08 Feb 2018, 20:55

Their seems to me a mistake in the english charakter sheet.

UTSEENDE should be appearance or something like that
Yeah and Charisma is Empathy in the rules. 
Effekt - A fan podcast celebrating Swedish RPGs including, but not limited to: Alien; Coriolis; Forbidden Lands; Symbaroum; and Tales from the Loop. Featuring discussion magazine episodes and Actual Play recordings. https://effektpodcast.org/
GZIP: Off