King_Kull

Re: Assorted tidbits

Sat 14 Oct 2017, 12:54

Alright! I‘m not much of a metal fan but the two guitarists and the bass player are metal aficionados ;)
What’s the name of the band?

We are Superglut - http://www.superglut.de
Cool!
The thing is I suddenly became aware that there exists a retro metal band called ”Svavelvinter” (”Schwefelwinter), which is the title of my first published fantasy adventure as well as the first novel in my series of novels AND a game by Fria Ligan with a section on this forum. The guy behind the band, who is/was a singer in bands like Solution .45 and Scar Symmetry, turned out to be an old rpg-player that had named his new band after my game setting. We talked and got the idea to make an album together which turned out really nice. I wrote lyrics to all eight songs and he does the rest. All songs picture places, characters and events that take place in my fantasy setting Trachoria. The album is going into mixing and mastering in february and will probably be released come spring 2018. I'll make sure you know when it's available!
This is my partner's home page: http://www.dimoutproductions.com/
Cool a soundtrack to your books! I must say that is very nice in Shadows of Esteren that there are tips for music in their adventures. And they have three albums out with their own music.
I am king!

utterkungen

Tue 17 Oct 2017, 17:42

Brior, I'm guessing that the spelling "reapenter" was intentional. Anything you could tell us about this?
The combination of "reap" and "repent" is interesting to me. It adds a brutality to the word that otherwise isn't there. I envision the people reciting this chant would be self flagellating. The second and third lines make me think that they believe that something in society has been lost to time. A yearning and effort to return, even through violence, to these old ways would be central to their religion.
...Or am I reading too much into this?

Brior
Topic Author

Tue 17 Oct 2017, 18:48

Brior, I'm guessing that the spelling "reapenter" was intentional. Anything you could tell us about this?
The combination of "reap" and "repent" is interesting to me. It adds a brutality to the word that otherwise isn't there. I envision the people reciting this chant would be self flagellating. The second and third lines make me think that they believe that something in society has been lost to time. A yearning and effort to return, even through violence, to these old ways would be central to their religion.
Utterly intentional ;-).
I do wordplay like this all the time in Swedish, as my readers probably know, but it's hard for me judge what works on this subtle level in English, so the reapenter word is tentative and for others to decide whether it works or not.
It's always interesting when there are several possible interpretations of words or sentences. In my Trachorian novels, magic is mainly manipulation of the blueprint language of the gods, so the magicians in the books are modelled on language philosophers like Wittgenstein, Husserl and Nietzsche. There are lots of interesting and very fundamental things to say about language and how it works.
In the Forbidden Lands game I introduce the pictogram language of ”Maha”, which the players will have to decode and then use. And when I say decode, it's more to it than just interpreting signs one by one, you will actually have to figure out the structure of the language. I will test this before release to make it sufficiently but not too hard – ”lagom”, as we say in Swedish.

Brior
Topic Author

Tue 17 Oct 2017, 18:52

Incidently, my initial post was based on Poe's poem ”The Raven” if anybody missed that. I love to borrow snippets and if possible put them in an unexpected context.

Dunhurst

Tue 17 Oct 2017, 20:27

Brior, I'm guessing that the spelling "reapenter" was intentional. Anything you could tell us about this?
The combination of "reap" and "repent" is interesting to me. It adds a brutality to the word that otherwise isn't there. I envision the people reciting this chant would be self flagellating. The second and third lines make me think that they believe that something in society has been lost to time. A yearning and effort to return, even through violence, to these old ways would be central to their religion.
Utterly intentional ;-).
I do wordplay like this all the time in Swedish, as my readers probably know, but it's hard for me judge what works on this subtle level in English, so the reapenter word is tentative and for others to decide whether it works or not.
It's always interesting when there are several possible interpretations of words or sentences. In my Trachorian novels, magic is mainly manipulation of the blueprint language of the gods, so the magicians in the books are modelled on language philosophers like Wittgenstein, Husserl and Nietzsche. There are lots of interesting and very fundamental things to say about language and how it works.
In the Forbidden Lands game I introduce the pictogram language of ”Maha”, which the players will have to decode and then use. And when I say decode, it's more to it than just interpreting signs one by one, you will actually have to figure out the structure of the language. I will test this before release to make it sufficiently but not too hard – ”lagom”, as we say in Swedish.
Do you find that there is a nuanced difference between certain fantasy concepts between Swedish and English when translating? Like in English, Dwarves are often depicted and sound (in place names and proper nouns and their own language) kind of robust and hard-edged. Is it the same in Sweden/Swedish Idiom?
Dunhurst

Brior
Topic Author

Tue 17 Oct 2017, 21:50

Do you find that there is a nuanced difference between certain fantasy concepts between Swedish and English when translating? Like in English, Dwarves are often depicted and sound (in place names and proper nouns and their own language) kind of robust and hard-edged. Is it the same in Sweden/Swedish Idiom?
Well, my problem is that I never can be sure about the full English connotations even though I might catch some, but the answer probably is yes. There are however also nuance among Swedes. Many relate to Tolkien or other modern tales, while I tend to go back to older sources. Dwarves are present in the more than 1000 years old Poetic Edda, bearing many of the names Tolkien chose including ”Gandalf”, where they aren't really Tolkienesqe but more somewhat unreliable craftsmen. In Forbidden Lands, however we use the retro games which take much inspiration from Tolkien, so the dwarves are more that way, although we have, as you have noticed, tried to do something different with them.
Also elves to me personally are either Nordic fairy people or more of the ”Erlkönig”/Jugend German type, not really the ones in Lord of the Rings. Same goes for trolls and giants etc., while orcs obviously are made up by Tolkien.

utterkungen

Wed 18 Oct 2017, 15:56

I really like the sound of that. Makes me wish that my Swedish was better so I could feel more confident in picking up a copy of your books. The idea of magic as a manipulation of a godly language reminds me of Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson and how language is used in that book.
Oooo, interesting. I'm excited to see how that pans out! What little I know of written Chinese is that what appears as a single character is often made up of multiple base characters. When combined, the usage of the base character is altered and the meaning changes in context. What if magic in FL had a contextual component? By that I mean that the Maha characters have to be used correctly to succeed.

Consider a player that wants to combine the level one word "fire" and level two word "spear" for their spell. They would need to roll a minimum of 2 six for a successes for that combination. If they do, great! The spell would then cast as intended, maybe as conjuring a spear of fire that is shot at the target. However, if the roll is pushed and 1's show up, the alternate meaning of the would be activated. So, maybe "fire" could also mean "fatigue" and "spear" also means "wound". Any 1's would activate in word order based on word level, in this case "fatigue" first followed by "wound". Fatigue might rob you of an action on your next turn and wound would just be a straight up damage or something. Maybe the player would even be able to choose the word meaning at cast, so they could use "fire" or "fatigue" with each meaning having a positive or negative effect based on usage and rolls.

9littlebees

Wed 18 Oct 2017, 16:34

Agreed, this sounds incredible!
I make YZE games (https://drivethrurpg.com/browse.php?author=Matt%20Kay) and produce predominately Free League content on my YouTube channel (https://youtube.com/@3skulls)

Brior
Topic Author

Wed 18 Oct 2017, 17:11

Oooo, interesting. I'm excited to see how that pans out! What little I know of written Chinese is that what appears as a single character is often made up of multiple base characters. When combined, the usage of the base character is altered and the meaning changes in context. What if magic in FL had a contextual component? By that I mean that the Maha characters have to be used correctly to succeed.
Your discussion and example with the firespear rhymes well with my intentions. As soon as I came up with the Maha language idea, I felt there's great potential in it, especially with the contextual structure. Now, the magic in FL need to be more retro, so Maha can't really be the basis. The Maha language will play a role in an adventure site as a cipher, and possibly appear in a section on druid magic, but for now I hope to establish the grounds in a way that allows expansion. Hopefully we can come up with a fleshed out, symbolist magic school using Maha clay tablets later. This will be easier to discuss once you see it.

King_Kull

Thu 19 Oct 2017, 00:10

Your discussion and example with the firespear rhymes well with my intentions. As soon as I came up with the Maha language idea, I felt there's great potential in it, especially with the contextual structure. Now, the magic in FL need to be more retro, so Maha can't really be the basis. The Maha language will play a role in an adventure site as a cipher, and possibly appear in a section on druid magic, but for now I hope to establish the grounds in a way that allows expansion. Hopefully we can come up with a fleshed out, symbolist magic school using Maha clay tablets later. This will be easier to discuss once you see it.
And when will that be? :)
I am king!