Brior
Topic Author

Re: Assorted tidbits

Thu 23 Nov 2017, 10:21

For the Swedish speakers, I just put an excerpt on my blog from the short story ”Mercy in Vond” that I'm writing for the game (stretch goal 24). The story features the demon Merigall that I've used Neil Gaimans ”Desire” for as inspiration. The demon will appear in the game. Not translated into English yet I'm afraid (and indeed not even completed in Swedish).

King_Kull

Thu 23 Nov 2017, 12:19

For the Swedish speakers, I just put an excerpt on my blog from the short story ”Mercy in Vond” that I'm writing for the game (stretch goal 24). The story features the demon Merigall that I've used Neil Gaimans ”Desire” for as inspiration. The demon will appear in the game. Not translated into English yet I'm afraid (and indeed not even completed in Swedish).

Have to learn Swedish... ;)
I am king!

9littlebees

Thu 23 Nov 2017, 13:02

I tried pasting your story into Google Translate, but unfortunately it's not quite up to the task.  :(
I make YZE games (https://drivethrurpg.com/browse.php?author=Matt%20Kay) and produce predominately Free League content on my YouTube channel (https://youtube.com/@3skulls)

Brior
Topic Author

Thu 23 Nov 2017, 13:16

I tried pasting your story into Google Translate, but unfortunately it's not quite up to the task.  :(
Ha, ha, that is pretty standard for the stuff I write since I like to play around with words and expressions. You will see the short story in English eventually of course, and perhaps FL could translate this exerpt pretty soon. It's probaby not the final version though.

Eldhierta

Thu 23 Nov 2017, 15:53

Kick-ass! Loved it, especially the descriptions of the two demons. There's nothing better than villainous characters with great personalities :)

If no one beats me to it, I'll try my hand on a quick translation tomorrow. Busy with DM:ing M:Y0 tonight :D

9littlebees

Thu 23 Nov 2017, 15:54

If no one beats me to it, I'll try my hand on a quick translation tomorrow. Busy with DM:ing M:Y0 tonight :D
Yes, please!!
I make YZE games (https://drivethrurpg.com/browse.php?author=Matt%20Kay) and produce predominately Free League content on my YouTube channel (https://youtube.com/@3skulls)

Brior
Topic Author

Thu 23 Nov 2017, 17:08

Kick-ass! Loved it, especially the descriptions of the two demons. There's nothing better than villainous characters with great personalities :)
Thanks, and feel free to give it a shot, Fireheart ;-)!

For our English speaking friends: Swedish allows for joining words much more freely than English, and this is very hard for Google Translate to capture, since the combinations are almost uncountable, especially in a literary text with more freedom.

Examples from the text we're talking about:
”Rostbröder” = rust brothers
”Silverspegel” = silver mirror
These are standard combinations, while
”ockradraperad” = draped in ochre
”blodsränder” = stripes of blood
”gallget” = barren goat
are nonstandard and hard to catch.
”Kromberdvärgarnas” = of the Crombe dvarwes
would be virtually impossible

King_Kull

Thu 23 Nov 2017, 18:27

Oh yes, please, that would be awesome - you would be AWESOME!!! :)
I am king!

Brior
Topic Author

Fri 24 Nov 2017, 09:00

FYI, I've now concluded the short story in first draft and will move on to the campaign's final adventure site (which is connected to the story)

Eldhierta

Fri 24 Nov 2017, 18:52

Oh yes, please, that would be awesome - you would be AWESOME!!! :)
Almost done, got to work for a couple of hours, but I'll try to have it on the forum before midnight.