Omligh

Re: The Sorcery System

Tue 31 Oct 2017, 03:32

I think I will wait for more information about spellcasting and then I will make my opinion known ;)
Very wise! ;)
And I won't argue. We have yet to learn about the basics. Just providing thoughts and ideas.
Cheers for responding!

Eldhierta

Sat 04 Nov 2017, 00:22

I like this and have been thinking of a very similar approach, but I fear it might slow down play too much, requiring the extra roll. In my mind, I would prefer to roll once for the spell. If the roll fails, the misfire is determined by the existing pool somehow.

Current thinking is that the highest die in the pool determines the severity of the misfire. The severities increase with the level of the spell. So you have a misfire table with 1 through 5 as rows (highest die rolled), and the columns are spell levels. Make sense?
I was thinking on a continuation of my corruption-take on the magic system that could work well with this, setting-wise. Let's throw corruption out the window and say that if you push while casting spells and roll the equivalent of bio-hazard from MY0, you accumulate residual magical energies, kind of like fission creates radiation. So you could cast spells as much as you like, but higher levels of magic causes greater accumulation of residual energy which in turn increases the risk of magical disasters.

However, the residual magical energies don't dissipate by themselves, so pushing even small, simple spells contribute to amassing dangerous levels of unstable magic that can blow up in the casters face at any moment. The only difference is that pushing high level spells gets you to critical mass faster. Kind of like the Rot works in MY0, so everytime you gain a new point of magical residue, you have to roll for your total amount of points, where critical failures cause side effects to your spells (maybe some beneficial too? It's wild magic after all, not evil magic) or even full out vortexes of wild magic. And the different levels of spells would work similarly to the different zones of Rot i.e getting a bio-hazard on a level 1 spell nets you a single point of residual energy, while a level 3 bio-hazard nets you three points.

Getting rid of the residual energy would require the Spellbinder to slowly leech it out over time or through some kind of ritual. Maybe some sorcerers have deviced a volatile form of magic that feeds on wild magic? (Demonology, anyone?)

Dangerous enough? =D

Tomas
Site Admin

Sun 05 Nov 2017, 20:29

Nice ideas here. :)
Fria Ligan

Omligh

Sun 05 Nov 2017, 20:32

I like this and have been thinking of a very similar approach, but I fear it might slow down play too much, requiring the extra roll. In my mind, I would prefer to roll once for the spell. If the roll fails, the misfire is determined by the existing pool somehow.

Current thinking is that the highest die in the pool determines the severity of the misfire. The severities increase with the level of the spell. So you have a misfire table with 1 through 5 as rows (highest die rolled), and the columns are spell levels. Make sense?
I was thinking on a continuation of my corruption-take on the magic system that could work well with this, setting-wise. Let's throw corruption out the window and say that if you push while casting spells and roll the equivalent of bio-hazard from MY0, you accumulate residual magical energies, kind of like fission creates radiation. So you could cast spells as much as you like, but higher levels of magic causes greater accumulation of residual energy which in turn increases the risk of magical disasters.

However, the residual magical energies don't dissipate by themselves, so pushing even small, simple spells contribute to amassing dangerous levels of unstable magic that can blow up in the casters face at any moment. The only difference is that pushing high level spells gets you to critical mass faster. Kind of like the Rot works in MY0, so everytime you gain a new point of magical residue, you have to roll for your total amount of points, where critical failures cause side effects to your spells (maybe some beneficial too? It's wild magic after all, not evil magic) or even full out vortexes of wild magic. And the different levels of spells would work similarly to the different zones of Rot i.e getting a bio-hazard on a level 1 spell nets you a single point of residual energy, while a level 3 bio-hazard nets you three points.

Getting rid of the residual energy would require the Spellbinder to slowly leech it out over time or through some kind of ritual. Maybe some sorcerers have deviced a volatile form of magic that feeds on wild magic? (Demonology, anyone?)

Dangerous enough? =D
I like this very much! Haven't had that much experience myself with P&P RPGs, but from the games I've played, magicians seem overpowered because they didn't have these types of consequences attached. Something like a "chaos-chart" (if you will) where all that power and possibility suddenly can become an incredible danger, not only to the caster, but to the entire party or more.
Two enthusiastic thumbs up!

9littlebees

Sun 05 Nov 2017, 22:14

Dangerous enough? =D
Having magical corruption behave like Rot from MYZ is an awesome idea. Still need miscasting on bad casting rolls, though, IMHO.

Eldhierta

Sun 05 Nov 2017, 23:09

Dangerous enough? =D
Having magical corruption behave like Rot from MYZ is an awesome idea. Still need miscasting on bad casting rolls, though, IMHO.
Well, a failed spell could just fizzle. Seeing as how the system with residual energies would be quite punishing enough, I think slapping the risk of miscasting in there too could be a bit too much. Either or would be fine, but both would make being a spellbinder really punishing. I mean, you don't have "miscasting" on a warrior swinging his zweihänder, right?

9littlebees

Mon 06 Nov 2017, 00:14

Dangerous enough? =D
Well, a failed spell could just fizzle. Seeing as how the system with residual energies would be quite punishing enough, I think slapping the risk of miscasting in there too could be a bit too much. Either or would be fine, but both would make being a spellbinder really punishing. I mean, you don't have "miscasting" on a warrior swinging his zweihänder, right?
I kind of read your earlier post as the residual energies being more like a sort of corruption building up in the caster, which would eventually manifest in weird ways (like in WFRP).  So that would be different to miscasting.  

My earlier suggestion would mean failing a spell casting could have bad immediate consequences related to the spell itself, assuming the dice pool was low enough (in reality, most of the time the spell would just fizzle on a failed roll - it would only seriously miscast on a particularly bad roll).  What I'm calling "magical corruption" would be a more gradual progression, like Rot, maybe leading to weird mutations (tentacles, a mouth opening somewhere on the body, always weeping sore, etc).  I feel there could be room for both.

But then, I really, really love WFRP and will be using Forbidden Lands to create something similar once the game is released.

And magic users should have the potential to be punished more than warriors, definitely.  They're dealing with dangerous and wild magic, after all.  Let the magic users have access to great power, but also great risk.

Eldhierta

Mon 06 Nov 2017, 04:14

I kind of read your earlier post as the residual energies being more like a sort of corruption building up in the caster, which would eventually manifest in weird ways (like in WFRP).  So that would be different to miscasting.  

My earlier suggestion would mean failing a spell casting could have bad immediate consequences related to the spell itself, assuming the dice pool was low enough (in reality, most of the time the spell would just fizzle on a failed roll - it would only seriously miscast on a particularly bad roll).  What I'm calling "magical corruption" would be a more gradual progression, like Rot, maybe leading to weird mutations (tentacles, a mouth opening somewhere on the body, always weeping sore, etc).  I feel there could be room for both.

But then, I really, really love WFRP and will be using Forbidden Lands to create something similar once the game is released.

And magic users should have the potential to be punished more than warriors, definitely.  They're dealing with dangerous and wild magic, after all.  Let the magic users have access to great power, but also great risk.
I see =D Yeah, that was my original thought with the corruption concept but I felt that the cosmetic dangers of wielding unspeakable powers didn't really have to be set in stone, it felt more like a personal house rule choice type if thing.

And I think we're almost on the same track with the fizzle/miscast mechanic. My idea would be that a simple failed roll wouldn't amount to anything and even a failed pushed roll could pass without any negative effects, but as soon as you start rolling ones on your pushed rolls you start accumulating residual energy (or RE). They would come rolling quite fast, seeing as how you'd gain 1/2/3 points for every one you roll, depending on the level of the spell. And then for every batch of RE you get, you have to roll for ALL of your previously accumulated RE:s as well, where the amount of ones rolled would determine the severity of the magical discharge.

Of course mages have to be punished, they mess with powers no one should mess with, putting all our lives in jeopardy. Arrogant freaks ;)

King_Kull

Mon 06 Nov 2017, 08:55

Would be interesting to know how corruptive magic is in the Forbidden Lands. I love Warhammer but I hope that it has nothing to do with mutations. That is so Warhammeresque. I see corruption in this game more like the Dark Side in Star Wars. At first your mind and personality changes. And if you accumulate too much corruption you physique will betray you inner corruption. But no tentacles, wheels as legs and the other enjoyable things from Warhammer ;)
I am king!

9littlebees

Mon 06 Nov 2017, 14:42

Would be interesting to know how corruptive magic is in the Forbidden Lands. I love Warhammer but I hope that it has nothing to do with mutations. That is so Warhammeresque. I see corruption in this game more like the Dark Side in Star Wars. At first your mind and personality changes. And if you accumulate too much corruption you physique will betray you inner corruption. But no tentacles, wheels as legs and the other enjoyable things from Warhammer ;)
Yeah, that's a good point. Dabbling with that power should corrupt, but something more fitting with the setting would definitely be good, although I still feel it should be handled with physical manifestations from the get-go.

So very subtle changes at first, but more pronounced as you take on more Corruption / Rot.