Morgoth
Topic Author

The Sorcery System

Thu 12 Oct 2017, 22:55

So lets talk about magic, rather Sorcery, as I feel the retro aspect of this game would lend more to Sword and Sorcery magic rather than high fantasy magic

I really hope magic will not be freeform, I much prefer codified lists of spells that players can cast and find; the latter gives them a reason to go out and risk their frail bodies to adventure, otherwise if they could just make their own spells they would rather stay safely in a tower and do research. Aside from spell lists I believe a system to allow collecting of spell regents to make spells more powerful would be great; it would give PC Sorcerers/Spellbinders more reason to adventure to find and collect these rare ingredients. Like maybe a rare Herb that can increase the potency of curing spells, or a dragons eye that increases the power of all fire spells by a large amount; ofcourse no dragon would willingly part with an eye so...

Another thing I would like is separate magic styles; an adventuring Spellbinder would need to have spells that suit an adventurer out in the badlands. So spells that are quick to cast and both utilitarian and combat focused, as well as defensive focused. However other NPCs in the game world such as city based mages or court mages would use a different, more traditional magic system that's slower to cast but has different, more grandiose effects. Spells of summoning daemons or other things for example, or spells to alter the weather, scrying, etc.

Finally I was not a fan of the small handful of Mutant Powers in MY0, nor the extremely small number of psychic talents/powers in Coriolis. Thus please, please please give players a large number of spells to potentially use in the game. One of the greatest fun of playing a mage is choosing spells and figuring out which/when to use it! :)

Eldhierta

Re: The Sorcery System

Thu 12 Oct 2017, 23:38

I've always liked grimoires. You know, these thick leatherbound tomes crackling with arcane energies. But I also think it's a bit of a drag when mages/sorcerers need to look up their spells before casting them, so I propose a system that would work as follows:

Spellbinders carry their magical arsenal in some kind of book/grimoire that is specifically primed for storing spells. As long as you have the tools and the time to transfer the spells to your grimoire from other arcane tomes, you can learn new spells. Every spell has a value, the mightier the spell, the higher the value. A spellbinder has an allotment of slots to fill with spells that can be cast on the go, without needing to look it up in the grimoire. High value spells take up multiple slots, while low value spells generally take up one. You can change your memorized spells, but not while travelling or in the heat of battle.
All spells contained within the grimoire can be cast in the field, but while a memorized spell requires a normal action only, using a spell from the book may take several actions or even turns in select cases.
The allotment allowed can be increased with a tiered talent that also showcases the prowess and rank of the Spellbinder (Apprentice, Journeyman, Spellbinder).

Also, binding a spell in your grimoire is a very personal experience, so no one but you can cast spells from your grimoire. But others can study it and learn it's secrets and inscribe them in their own books, given enough time.

Good balance?

P.S. I like your idea with reagents, they could be a requirement for inscribing new spells in the grimoire as well D.S.

9littlebees

Fri 13 Oct 2017, 00:05

I am also not a fan of the Coriolis powers, but don't really have a problem with the number of MYZ mutations.
As for Forbidden Lands, Fria Ligan have already said that magic will be "wild, dangerous and unpredictable" and that there will be "different disciplines of magic, some specific to certain cultures".  So my hope is that they produce disciplines which feel tight and thematic, whilst remaining wild, dangerous and unpredictable.  I get the feeling that we will see a list of spells under each discipline, however due to its chaotic and dangerous nature, that list of spells is unlikely to be very long.  

Shadow of the Demon Lord handles something similar in a very good way (IMO), with only about 12 spells per magical tradition. However, there are 30 magical traditions in the core book and magicians can choose multiple traditions.  That effectively distills a huge list (>300) of spells down to about 2 dozen for each PC to choose from.  I foresee something similar here, but on a smaller scale (fewer disciplines).

Oh, and reagents to buff spells is an awesome idea, as long as we're not talking ingredients needed to actually cast the spell, which I think would not be a great idea.

Astro_Val

Fri 13 Oct 2017, 14:43

I am actually a huge fan of free-form magic and I think it could be done in a way that fits the setting* but I dont necessarily want magic to be this way in FL.

I do like your proposals (some parts more than others).

another idea (not necessarily the best I can hypothesize but its what I came with impulsively at the moment):

Seeing something as having a skill/talent for each magical tradition would also interest me. You would roll, not to necessarily see if the spell succeeds or not but to see if you
have actual control over the magic(the unpredictability the designers mentioned) 

And characters should  not need grimoirs and all that vancian/dnd approach (that I am getting tired of frankly)

but finding lost books in the ruins and lost magical words and symbols -which are 'components'- could be
a way to balance spellbinders.
You would need to attain certain elements and a bit of reading in order to 'unlock' more spells and traditions.

Can't wait to find out about the actual system the team has cooked up :)

*= Desolation the rpg did this tremendously. Its High Fantasy brought Low. Great free-form magic system with two versions: one all-powerful for before the Fall and the new, twisted version of magic for the Post-Apocalypse, that actually does damage to the characters each time they cast. Non-lethal but still you can faint in the middle of a fight. There is a cost and its called the 'burn'.
Last edited by Astro_Val on Sat 14 Oct 2017, 11:18, edited 1 time in total.

Templar

Fri 13 Oct 2017, 15:03

I hope the magic will be dangerous and if you fumble to complete a magic spell it should be a really major consequences fiddling with the stream of magic. A big table for that from loosing magic touch over a time to stuck in a black hole for 1D6 days. It should be really dangerous to use magic.

Like the old swedish Drakar rules with schools of magic and the balance between magic schools.

Astro_Val

Fri 13 Oct 2017, 15:13

I hope the magic will be dangerous and if you fumble to complete a magic spell it should be a really major consequences fiddling with the stream of magic. A big table for that from loosing magic touch over a time to stuck in a black hole for 1D6 days. It should be really dangerous to use magic.

Like the old swedish Drakar rules with schools of magic and the balance between magic schools.

Interesting. I am not familiar with the system. Would you care to elaborate? :)

King_Kull

Fri 13 Oct 2017, 15:18

I can only say that I know to little about the world to say anything about magic but I like free form magic if there’s a good mechanism behind the system. But I wish that all magic user have a rote spell that they can use without difficulties and fear of corruption.
I am king!

Templar

Fri 13 Oct 2017, 19:25

Sure Astro Val

Schools of magic
Alchemy
Animinst
Demonology
Elemental
Harmony
Witches
Illusionists
Mentalist
Necromancy
Voice Magic 
Spiritualist
Staff Magic
Symbolist

You can only learn magic spells from the school you have selected/learned. 

The road to magic 
The magicians search for knowledge is setting its toll in his body and soul. Its not the spells itself its the schools of magic that sets boundaries.
Balance in magic, the wise and schoolars counts with four ways:

Order, chaos, life and consciousness.

Order <opposite> Chaos
Life >friends< consciousness
Order (a slightly connection) consciousness as Life and Chaos

But there is boundiaries between the four still.

That is the basic balance between the stream of magic is important. Like the balance in the force in Star Wars universe!!

Peter

Fri 13 Oct 2017, 20:21

Id like pretty broad, straight forward spells or magical abilities, driven by willpower (although maybe it varies by type of magic?) and culture specific magical traditions.

And magic doesnt have to be alike. I mean you could have one classic thaumaturgical school with spells and invocations, "shapeshifting" as one type of magic with different availabe animals/forms rather than spells, alchemy that allows you to brew potions.... etc
Check out my BoL heroic migration period hack - Barbarians of the Dark Ages
Kolla mitt ny-klassika BRP-derivat - Monster och Människor

Astro_Val

Sat 14 Oct 2017, 11:17

Sure Astro Val

Schools of magic
Alchemy
Animinst
Demonology
Elemental
Harmony
Witches
Illusionists
Mentalist
Necromancy
Voice Magic 
Spiritualist
Staff Magic
Symbolist

You can only learn magic spells from the school you have selected/learned. 

The road to magic 
The magicians search for knowledge is setting its toll in his body and soul. Its not the spells itself its the schools of magic that sets boundaries.
Balance in magic, the wise and schoolars counts with four ways:

Order, chaos, life and consciousness.

Order <opposite> Chaos
Life >friends< consciousness
Order (a slightly connection) consciousness as Life and Chaos

But there is boundiaries between the four still.

That is the basic balance between the stream of magic is important. Like the balance in the force in Star Wars universe!!

Thank you!