Morgoth
Topic Author

Why Two Rulebooks this time around?

Thu 12 Oct 2017, 22:47

First, many congrats on a super successful kickstarter. Fria Lagan certainly deserves this success after their hard work on their prior games! Now all they need is a Supers book for superhero roleplaying! (or at least a Supers Mutant book building off of MY0 to allow playing X-men! :D )

Now another question about the rulebooks: MY0, Coriolis and TFtL had 1 corebook each; any reason this game gets 2? Not compaining here, ideally I would have preferred a third book, a solo bestiary book full of art and creatures. But just wondering, I take it one is a player book and the second a GM book, with advice on how to run a hexcrawl, adventure sites, adventure site construction, bestiary, etc?

Eldhierta

Re: Why Two Rulebooks this time around?

Thu 12 Oct 2017, 23:12

First, many congrats on a super successful kickstarter. Fria Lagan certainly deserves this success after their hard work on their prior games! Now all they need is a Supers book for superhero roleplaying! (or at least a Supers Mutant book building off of MY0 to allow playing X-men! :D )

Now another question about the rulebooks: MY0, Coriolis and TFtL had 1 corebook each; any reason this game gets 2? Not compaining here, ideally I would have preferred a third book, a solo bestiary book full of art and creatures. But just wondering, I take it one is a player book and the second a GM book, with advice on how to run a hexcrawl, adventure sites, adventure site construction, bestiary, etc?
Oh, they are? In the Swedish prints, all of MY0 and it's addons have been dual rulebooks and so is the Swedish edition of Coriolis. TftL is single rulebook in Swedish as well, though. As for the reasoning behind the differences your guess is as good as mine :D

King_Kull

Thu 12 Oct 2017, 23:44

Because there is a slipcase - and a slipcase for one book? ;)
I am king!

Eldhierta

Thu 12 Oct 2017, 23:53

Sounds legit :)

Morgoth
Topic Author

Fri 13 Oct 2017, 00:45

Wait, does the box set have the books in a slipcase inside the box set? I thought it was a box set but no slipcase?

9littlebees

Fri 13 Oct 2017, 01:17

Wait, does the box set have the books in a slipcase inside the box set? I thought it was a box set but no slipcase?
It's a box.  King Kull is referring to the box when he is saying slipcase.

Fenhorn

Fri 13 Oct 2017, 01:21

The Swedish versions of MYZ, Genlab Alpha and Mechatron all came in boxes (normal game boxes) and with two rulebooks. One book for the players (making characters, combat, magic, talents, etc.) and one for the GM (how to run the game, monsters, setting, etc.). The English versions didn't have the box so they combined the two books to one book. This time around they decided to run a KS for both the Swedish and English versions at the same time (they normally do a kickstarter first for the Swedish, and then for the English version) so they had to pick a format and they picked the Swedish format with a box and two books (and I'm glad they did).
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

King_Kull

Fri 13 Oct 2017, 10:03

Mea culpa - box not slipcase. Don't know why, but I confused Forbidden Lands with Trudvang, there is a slipcase. Sorry for the confusion.
I am king!

Tarostar

Fri 13 Oct 2017, 12:12

I have both the Swedish and English versions and to me having two books is much better in pretty much every way.

The players have their own book and they can read it, borrow it, buy it and have their copy at the table without any worries of them reading something they shouldn't. It is also easier since you don't have to explain which chapters they can and cannot read.

It is also easier to lookup things quickly when you know that rules and player focused material is in one book, while GM material is in the other.

The only advantage I can think of for having all in one book is ease of transport, and of course it is easier to market a book when you can say "everything you need is in this book".

Very glad it will be two books. :)

Jurij 1138

Fri 13 Oct 2017, 12:22

I have both the Swedish and English versions and to me having two books is much better in pretty much every way.

The players have their own book and they can read it, borrow it, buy it and have their copy at the table without any worries of them reading something they shouldn't. It is also easier since you don't have to explain which chapters they can and cannot read.

It is also easier to lookup things quickly when you know that rules and player focused material is in one book, while GM material is in the other.

The only advantage I can think of for having all in one book is ease of transport, and of course it is easier to market a book when you can say "everything you need is in this book".

Very glad it will be two books. :)
Yeah, especially (as in Mutant) when there are two chapters dealing with the game world - one for the GM and one for players.