Eldhierta
Topic Author

Re: Riding in the Forbidden Lands

Mon 09 Oct 2017, 21:28

* The mist was a nighttime problem only, so you could move around during daytime. It could however attack also indoors under certain (mostly unknown) circumstances, so people refrained from travel just the same rather than trying to go from village to village and stay indoors during night. This simply turned out not to be such a good idea.
* The bloodmist mostly didn't affect animals (note ”mostly”)
* The bloodmist mostly didn't attack people in their homes (again note ”mostly”)
* Vargfolk reportedly could travel unharmed in the blood mist provided they stayed in forests. They called it ”The breath of the hunter”. Vargfolk commonly suffer from agoraphobia (fear of open spaces) since these days, since they were attacked like others in open land.
Hehe, I like the blood mist already. Too bad it's gone... Brior, have you read Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn Saga by any chance? Otherwise I strongly recommend it, one mistlover to another :D

On another note, how pervasive was the mist? Did it rise high and blot out all vision or did it just creep along the ground? Or somewhere in between? How intelligent was it? Could it set traps for unwary travellers, hinting at free passage and then box them in, swallowing them in it's velvety folds?

Raven Lord, how I love the mists...

Eldhierta
Topic Author

Mon 09 Oct 2017, 21:38

Horses definitely – part of the setting pictures two (conflicting) horserider clans from the neighbor country Aslene (currently ”The Ashen Vale”). These will not be mongol type riders nor GoT ones, but lean more towards Scythians / Parthians / Samurai / Kosack.

The lizard on the cover – sure, although it does have a separate story (her name is Pyravia by the way).

Wolves for the darklings (svartalfer) of course.

Also I've tried to squeeze in some pleistocene beasts, among these a smaller version of the wooly mammoth. We'll see how these play out as potential mounts ;-). No centipedes or sixlegged rhinos planned (well, perhaps some wooly ones…)

Edit: No ostriches ;-)
Thank the Raven Lord there will be no ostriches!

Need to know more about Pyravia, I'm a sucker for named, storydriven creatures :)

Hell to the yes on naming them Darklings! I might even go so far as making that a swedish slang for svartalferna, Mörklingar.

So all in all - horses, some lizards, whooly mammoths/rhinos and wolves.

How about bears, larger cats (with scales?), Ravens (capital first letter means big variant in my head, apparently), boars, bison and giraffes? Just throwing stuff out there, was thinking that some sinister version of giraffes could have been used by the Rust Brothers to ride in style above the mists?

Brior

Mon 09 Oct 2017, 22:30

Hehe, I like the blood mist already. Too bad it's gone... Brior, have you read Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn Saga by any chance? Otherwise I strongly recommend it, one mistlover to another :D

On another note, how pervasive was the mist? Did it rise high and blot out all vision or did it just creep along the ground? Or somewhere in between? How intelligent was it? Could it set traps for unwary travellers, hinting at free passage and then box them in, swallowing them in it's velvety folds?
Did I say that the blood mist is gone? I believe I said that the blood mist seems to be gone. It's like when you drop a glass in the kitchen and you sweep it up and the glass seems to be gone until you one morning pour your coffee and step on a sharp shard. And you pick it up, and the glass again seems to be gone…

Concerning intelligence: who knows? The blood mist is seemingly gone.

Brior

Mon 09 Oct 2017, 22:36

How about bears, larger cats (with scales?)
Whoa, Eldhierta, the Masters of the Universe game isn't due until 2019 ;-)

Eldhierta
Topic Author

Mon 09 Oct 2017, 23:39

How about bears, larger cats (with scales?)
Whoa, Eldhierta, the Masters of the Universe game isn't due until 2019 ;-)
Oh man... isn't this the Kickstarter-forum for MotU? Phew, lucky I didn't make more of an ass of myself by showcasing my skimpy chainmail... :D

King_Kull

Tue 10 Oct 2017, 00:34

By the might of Greysk... Ah, wrong forum ;)

Okay no eagle-ostrich-mix... :(
One elf on an elk makes no incident to rule them as completely out as riding animals. Would be sad.
But what about war badgers? Giant riding rats for the small folk like goblins or halfings? Giant moles or worms for dwarves?
Cats, bears and lizard are boring as they are mainstream. But if it’s cool for the setting I will buy it :)
I am king!

Astro_Val

Wed 11 Oct 2017, 13:39

Interesting discussion.

Riding fantasy raptors and mammoth and wolves  is more than enough for me so I don't have anything to add
(though large cats get a +1 from me. But only if they have a unique spin)

That said:

What about teleportation cycles for strongholds and previously discovered locations?

(under certain conditions; I am not talking about something as video-gamey as fast travel btw)