Eldhierta
Topic Author

Riding in the Forbidden Lands

Mon 09 Oct 2017, 17:25

Hiyo, forumites!
Today I've been thinking about transportation in the Ravenlands, mainly what kinds of creatures our dear PCs and NPCs will be riding. Considering the plagued nature of the lands, will horses be the mainstay or have they been replaced by a more hardened species? Like the kind of velociraptor-like creature on the cover art maybe? Or direwolves, as has been mentioned in the Peoples and Clans-thread? Maybe ostriches for the elves? ;)

Discuss and inspire! :D

Peter

Re: Riding in the Forbidden Lands

Mon 09 Oct 2017, 17:46

There may be wolfriders among one or maybe even two of the kin

And it's Erik we are talking about so we shouldnt be surprised by people riding things as least as quirky giant centipedes, war-cranes and sixlegged steppe-rhinos :)
Check out my BoL heroic migration period hack - Barbarians of the Dark Ages
Kolla mitt ny-klassika BRP-derivat - Monster och Människor

Brior

Mon 09 Oct 2017, 18:03

Horses definitely – part of the setting pictures two (conflicting) horserider clans from the neighbor country Aslene (currently ”The Ashen Vale”). These will not be mongol type riders nor GoT ones, but lean more towards Scythians / Parthians / Samurai / Kosack.

The lizard on the cover – sure, although it does have a separate story (her name is Pyravia by the way).

Wolves for the darklings (svartalfer) of course.

Also I've tried to squeeze in some pleistocene beasts, among these a smaller version of the wooly mammoth. We'll see how these play out as potential mounts ;-). No centipedes or sixlegged rhinos planned (well, perhaps some wooly ones…)

Edit: No ostriches ;-)

Fragpuss

Mon 09 Oct 2017, 18:06

Just seen Brior's post get in ahead of mine, but I'm leaving it as is anyway  :P

This a really interesting question because I think to answer it, you've got to delve into the history of the land, i.e. how dangerous and pervasive was the blood mist?

Did the various settlements actually have sufficient pastureland available to them to support a breeding stock of herd animals over several hundred years. Cows, sheep, etc. for food maybe, but were horses a luxury that they couldn't afford, if there was nowhere to ride them to?

Is breaking and riding animals in fact a 'lost' art? 

And if trade and travel were severely reduced then what would hundreds of years of inbreeding mean for the quality of those herds?

This is great! We don't have a game yet, but I'm having fun already... :D

Birkebeineren

Mon 09 Oct 2017, 18:25

There is the "Angyon" who Nils Gulliksson made for Monsterboken II, a two-legged riding animal not unlike the Tauntaun in Star Wars.

But maybe such a creature doesn't fit the setting?

Brior

Mon 09 Oct 2017, 18:48

@Fragpuss
Valid questions and points. Now I can't tell you too much about the nature of the bloodmist at this point, but some teasing info:
* The mist was a nighttime problem only, so you could move around during daytime. It could however attack also indoors under certain (mostly unknown) circumstances, so people refrained from travel just the same rather than trying to go from village to village and stay indoors during night. This simply turned out not to be such a good idea.
* The bloodmist mostly didn't affect animals (note ”mostly”)
* The bloodmist mostly didn't attack people in their homes (again note ”mostly”)
* Vargfolk reportedly could travel unharmed in the blood mist provided they stayed in forests. They called it ”The breath of the hunter”. Vargfolk commonly suffer from agoraphobia (fear of open spaces) since these days, since they were attacked like others in open land.

King_Kull

Mon 09 Oct 2017, 19:01

Don’t know if it’s appropriate to the setting but elk riders could be cool. I like the idea of course ;)
In one of my ongoing campaigns there are the Skreedasnik, mostly a combination of kozaks and Mongolian riders. They are living in the plains but there are many woods in which they live, building their houses in the great trees that make up the woods to protect themselves from the Burrowing Death. And their mounts are giant birds a mix of eagle and ostrich. They can’t fly only flutter a little in the air - without rides - so that they can reach the platforms build for them in the trees. But no ostriches... :(
Okay I have them in my campaign ;)
I am king!

Brior

Mon 09 Oct 2017, 19:29

Don’t know if it’s appropriate to the setting but elk riders could be cool.
Done already in one of the hobbit films, I believe, but it is a cool concept. Rumour has it that one of our Swedish war kings planned an elk cavallery (moosery might be the more appropriate term?) It's seems to be no more than a rumour unfortunately.

Peter

Mon 09 Oct 2017, 20:00

Don’t know if it’s appropriate to the setting but elk riders could be cool.
Done already in one of the hobbit films, I believe, but it is a cool concept. 
Done and ruined I'm afraid at least for me, lack of imagination on my part perhaps .... Lets stay clear of rabbit sledges too....! :P
There is a lot that can be done with horses though. F.ex. maybe Aslene horses sweat blood...
And then there's the good old pansarhäst (panzer-horse ;) ) from Mutant and Drakar och Demoner...
Check out my BoL heroic migration period hack - Barbarians of the Dark Ages
Kolla mitt ny-klassika BRP-derivat - Monster och Människor

Fragpuss

Mon 09 Oct 2017, 20:53

@Fragpuss
Valid questions and points. Now I can't tell you too much about the nature of the bloodmist at this point, but some teasing info:
* The mist was a nighttime problem only, so you could move around during daytime. It could however attack also indoors under certain (mostly unknown) circumstances, so people refrained from travel just the same rather than trying to go from village to village and stay indoors during night. This simply turned out not to be such a good idea.
* The bloodmist mostly didn't affect animals (note ”mostly”)
* The bloodmist mostly didn't attack people in their homes (again note ”mostly”)
* Vargfolk reportedly could travel unharmed in the blood mist provided they stayed in forests. They called it ”The breath of the hunter”. Vargfolk commonly suffer from agoraphobia (fear of open spaces) since these days, since they were attacked like others in open land.
Thanks Brior, some intriguing teasers there - nice use of 'mostly'  :). I'm looking forward to seeing what the final truth is revealed to be...