Tarostar
Topic Author

Hex Crawl and Travel

Fri 06 Oct 2017, 10:05

The hex crawling and adventure sites is the most exciting feature of this game for me (or maybe Strongholds...). Can you elaborate a bit more on how it will work, mostly what sort of tools and mechanics will be available. It sounds like it could be based on the zone system used in Mutant: Year-Zero. How does this tie into the epic campaign and the fate of the land?

I also like the focus on special rules for travel where the party members must all contribute. Will there be interesting outcomes such as getting lost, encounters, morale, lost supplies, hunger, thirst, wounds, wear, being late/early, etc? Is this tied to travelling inside hexes, between them?? Love to hear some examples here. I have fond memories of party travel in The One Ring, so have high hopes for this.

Is the hex-crawl toolbox and travel mechanics tied to the setting or something that can be used to quickly get a sandbox hexcrawl going for another settings?

Tomas
Site Admin

Re: Hex Crawl and Travel

Fri 06 Oct 2017, 16:19

Hi!

Good questions, we'll try to get an update done about this before the kickstarter ends!

/Tomas
Fria Ligan

ChaosAptom

Fri 06 Oct 2017, 22:02

I can barely wait, also will locations be random and unknown, like MY0 or will certain locations and their supposed state be known beforehand?

F.E. Elven temple of major god in area xy, destroyed by demons, occupied by orc clan.

Patrick

Fri 06 Oct 2017, 22:23

I am also excited about this.  What I liked about the system in The One Ring was the way characters were assigned to travel roles (Guide, Scout, Huntsman, and Look-out).  An additional role could be someone who helps the party keep up its spirits, like a Bard, Cleric, Story-teller, or just a loveable goof-ball who makes everyone laugh.

What I did not like about the travel system in The One Ring was that event locations was abstracted.  I'd prefer my players to roll for a possible event in each hex they enter.  Players should know what hex they are in at all times.

Peter

Sat 07 Oct 2017, 00:21

Very much looking forward to seeing how the map, travel rules and wilderness come together. Expecting great things! 
Check out my BoL heroic migration period hack - Barbarians of the Dark Ages
Kolla mitt ny-klassika BRP-derivat - Monster och Människor

9littlebees

Sat 07 Oct 2017, 11:30

Also really excited to see how this develops!
I make YZE games (https://drivethrurpg.com/browse.php?author=Matt%20Kay) and produce predominately Free League content on my YouTube channel (https://youtube.com/@3skulls)

Tarostar
Topic Author

Wed 11 Oct 2017, 08:30

Hi Thomas,

Any chance of some more info on this before the kickstarter ends?

Tanks,
Claus

Tomas
Site Admin

Wed 11 Oct 2017, 10:29

We'll try, but time is running out quickly! :)
Fria Ligan

Sonata

Hex Crawl and Travel

Tue 17 Oct 2017, 10:37

I'm looking forward a class system that have differents way to travel through the land. Like Patrick said,
I am also excited about this.  What I liked about the system in The One Ring was the way characters were assigned to travel roles (Guide, Scout, Huntsman, and Look-out).  An additional role could be someone who helps the party keep up its spirits, like a Bard, Cleric, Story-teller, or just a loveable goof-ball who makes everyone laugh.
I think this should be a great way to be interesting. Each rôle can have his own way to move on the map and help the group. I can't wait to see what is it going to be.