Tomas
Site Admin

Re: Class Speculation

Thu 19 Oct 2017, 20:11

I ve mentioned before but I would love to see a class that merges martial with arcane.
Some sort of magic wielding warrior.
 Doesn't have to be DnD-ish or overpowered about it :)
One thing we want to do is to avoid limiting a magic-wielding character to doing magic only. A druid or spellbinder should not be stopped from being good with a sword too. We'll have to balance this of course, but we have some ideas there...
Fria Ligan

Astro_Val

Sat 21 Oct 2017, 00:22

I ve mentioned before but I would love to see a class that merges martial with arcane.
One thing we want to do is to avoid limiting a magic-wielding character to doing magic only. A druid or spellbinder should not be stopped from being good with a sword too. We'll have to balance this of course, but we have some ideas there...
Thats really good to know! 

Spellcasters should be allowed to wear armour and fight properly; it makes more sense especially in a Land that is as Savage as this :)

King_Kull

Sat 21 Oct 2017, 07:30

Spellcasters should be allowed to wear armour and fight properly; it makes more sense especially in a Land that is as Savage as this :)
Oh, are the Forbidden Lands the Savage Lands? ;)
I am king!

Astro_Val

Sun 22 Oct 2017, 20:24

:) I presume that was a reference to a video-game that came out recently?

King_Kull

Sun 22 Oct 2017, 22:54

:) I presume that was a reference to a video-game that came out recently?
Savage Lands = Savage World
It was rather a RPG reference ;)
I am king!

negromaestro

Wed 25 Oct 2017, 23:22

Looking at all the classes, especially The Minstrel, and not knowing much about all the non-standard Player races, like the orcs and ogres, would it be impudent to consider some class restrictions like no minstrel professions in certain races like orcs and ogres?

negromaestro

Wed 25 Oct 2017, 23:30

Also, if the Forbidden Lands elves still follow the "noble elves trope" it might also make sense to restrict "Raiders" (distinct from warrior) as a class not open for those of the elf race? 

In our modern "me" culture everyone wants everything all the time, but I think, a fantasy setting has more character if it is not afraid to use some old tropes if those tropes tell good stories.  

lupex

Wed 25 Oct 2017, 23:33

Looking at all the classes, especially The Minstrel, and not knowing much about all the non-standard Player races, like the orcs and ogres, would it be impudent to consider some class restrictions like no minstrel professions in certain races like orcs and ogres?
For me I actually think playing an Orc minstrel would be rather fun and break some of the Orc stereotypes. Also as Orcs would have a verbal storytelling tradition a minstrel would make perfect sense.

negromaestro

Thu 26 Oct 2017, 01:49

For me I actually think playing an Orc minstrel would be rather fun and break some of the Orc stereotypes.  Also as Orcs would have a verbal storytelling tradition a minstrel would make perfect sense.
I would lean towards an orc skald rather than minstrel. The skald seems ore in line with the oral tradition of battle hymns and praises of a warrior race.

Eldhierta

Thu 26 Oct 2017, 22:53

Also, if the Forbidden Lands elves still follow the "noble elves trope" it might also make sense to restrict "Raiders" (distinct from warrior) as a class not open for those of the elf race? 

In our modern "me" culture everyone wants everything all the time, but I think, a fantasy setting has more character if it is not afraid to use some old tropes if those tropes tell good stories.  
Don't know if I would call a race (elves) that enslaved another race (orcs) for several generations noble though...

And as for the race-restriction on classes, as long as you can think of a believable background for your PC, I think they should all be free game for every race. The orc skald is actually a great example for an orc variant of the minstrel-class. Or warrior poet. Rockskalds anyone?
GZIP: Off