Erzaad
Topic Author

Class Speculation

Wed 04 Oct 2017, 20:48

One of the areas I'm most interested in learning about are the classes and what kind of roles they'll fill. Some sounds pretty self explanatory, but others are rather nebulous. So I thought I'd make some speculation on each and see what other thoughts people have. 

Raider - Going to be your standard bruiser-type melee class. Possibly similar to the Enforcer from M:Y0 and has an intimidation factor.

Rogue - I can't imagine this being too different from your typical D&D rogue. Sneaky, steal-y, assassin-y person. May do well with melee or ranged.

Ranger - I suspect this will be similar to the Stalker in M:Y0, the class that can provide bonuses and help when exploring the map. Not sure if it'll have the "natural" flair that the D&D class tends to have, or will be more like a LOTR ranger.

Spellbinder - No idea what style of magic is going to be present here, but I get the impression that the setting is going to be relatively low-magic, so Spellbinders are going to be rare, feared, or shunned. The name suggests that magic is inherently wild and needs to be bound and controlled before it can be used. I'm hoping for a very unique magic system that plays off this. Something high risk, high reward. Possibly Elf only, or not taken by dwarves?

Scoundrel - If this isn't the Forbidden Lands' equivalent of M:Y0's Fixer archetype, I have no idea what'll set it apart from the rogue. And if it's going to be the negotiating "face" of the party, then I'm not sure how that'll interact with the Minstrel.

Minstrel - Sounds like a Bard, but it might work like the Chronicler from M:Y0, boosting other people's rolls with inspiration.

Druid - Hard to imagine a Druid as anything but a caster with power over nature. We currently don't have an obvious divine caster, so maybe druids will fill this role. If so, perhaps it'd make more sense to call them Shamans? I typically don't like divine casters and holy warriors (paladins), but shamanistic casters have always been cool in my mind. Maybe Wargfolk only?

On a related note, I am very against the idea of kin-restricted classes. I will instantly ignore any rule that says something like "only Elves can use magic because something something". Or how in Dragon Age: Origins, dwarves couldn't be mages because they were too resistant to magic. It makes sense in the lore, and it's a neat flavor to the race, but I don't think it's fun gameplay to restrict players like that.

9littlebees

Re: Class Speculation

Wed 04 Oct 2017, 21:02

Yep, I think race-specific classes only works if you have a very large number of classes, like WFRP's careers. With such a small number of classes, this just feels restrictive, though I'm keen to see details in the Alpha.

As for the Rogue / Scoundrel split, I think they're fairly clear:

"Rogue (thief), Scoundrel (trader/trixter)"

The Rogue will be a straight sneaky thief, while the Scoundrel will be much more of a Charisma trickster.
I make YZE games (https://drivethrurpg.com/browse.php?author=Matt%20Kay) and produce predominately Free League content on my YouTube channel (https://youtube.com/@3skulls)

LupNi

Thu 05 Oct 2017, 13:50

On a related note, I am very against the idea of kin-restricted classes. I will instantly ignore any rule that says something like "only Elves can use magic because something something".
This! I can't agree more, I always felt like these were unnecessary restrictions. They restrict player creativity and enforce cliché archetypes "dwarf=axe-wielding heavy armored tank"

Sonata

Mon 16 Oct 2017, 10:50

More than just battle-organized class system I'd like to see what they can do on the exploration side. As Erzaad said there is, for exemple, Raider, rogue, ranger, and scoundrel, they all look like thief D&D-oriented classes (raider seem to be the most warrior-like though). It was said that the ranger will help exploring the map but I'll like that each class has her own utility in battle AND in map exploring. I don't have M:Y0 or Tales from the loop so you have any clues?

boxcornersdiety

Wed 18 Oct 2017, 22:17

Consider merging the Raider with the Ranger and the Rogue with the Scoundrel.

The talents and skills system should be enough to distinguish them from each other. Its better to have each class be clearly distinct in purpose. 

9littlebees

Wed 18 Oct 2017, 22:28

The talents and skills system should be enough to distinguish them from each other. Its better to have each class be clearly distinct in purpose. 
Welcome to the forum, boxcornersdiety!  Sorry to respond in this manner to your first post, but I have to respectfully disagree.

A stealthy thief (Rogue) is very different to a sweet-talking con-person (Scoundrel).  As for the Raider vs the Ranger, the Raider is a standard melee Warrior, while (I assume) the Ranger is more of an archer.

In other words, I feel that each of these 4 classes certainly has a distinct purpose.
I make YZE games (https://drivethrurpg.com/browse.php?author=Matt%20Kay) and produce predominately Free League content on my YouTube channel (https://youtube.com/@3skulls)

King_Kull

Thu 19 Oct 2017, 00:13

Welcome to the forum, boxcornersdiety!  Sorry to respond in this manner to your first post, but I have to respectfully disagree.

A stealthy thief (Rogue) is very different to a sweet-talking con-person (Scoundrel).  As for the Raider vs the Ranger, the Raider is a standard melee Warrior, while (I assume) the Ranger is more of an archer.

In other words, I feel that each of these 4 classes certainly has a distinct purpose.
Yes, I totally agree with you!
I am king!

Astro_Val

Thu 19 Oct 2017, 16:58

I ve mentioned before but I would love to see a class that merges martial with arcane.
Some sort of magic wielding warrior.
 Doesn't have to be DnD-ish or overpowered about it :)

Erzaad
Topic Author

Thu 19 Oct 2017, 17:08

Gish classes are the best.

Astro_Val

Thu 19 Oct 2017, 17:53

Gish classes are the best.
Hello! Been a while since I ve heard that term! 

:)