Arnold

Re: Class Speculation

Thu 09 Nov 2017, 17:52

The concept of former orkslaves was also used in Earthdawn. i onced played one over years, and it was much fun. He had to struggle with the prejustice of his fellow comrades, who see him brutish and primitiv, and was quite impulsiv and hot-tempered ...

King_Kull

Thu 09 Nov 2017, 18:53

The concept of former orkslaves was also used in Earthdawn. i onced played one over years, and it was much fun. He had to struggle with the prejustice of his fellow comrades, who see him brutish and primitiv, and was quite impulsiv and hot-tempered ...
Ah, ED... And all orcs were impulsive. They had this Gahad thing which was physically and mentally damaging to the orc if he refused to go with his rage. That was cool.
I am king!

HumbleDM

Mon 13 Nov 2017, 14:22

Erzaad:

Druid - Hard to imagine a Druid as anything but a caster with power over nature. We currently don't have an obvious divine caster, so maybe druids will fill this role. If so, perhaps it'd make more sense to call them Shamans? I typically don't like divine casters and holy warriors (paladins), but shamanistic casters have always been cool in my mind. Maybe Wargfolk only?

I think this could be a really interesting idea actually. Druid is I believe an old word for priest, especially when you're looking at Celtic beliefs, so that can be used as a term to describe what we normally associate clerics to be if the Gods of the world are treated more like elements of spirits of nature rather than the pantheons of D&D (or Greek/Norse). Or they can be treated as someone who is a priest of these gods (considering how closely linked gods of certain pantheons are to nature). 
Considering the world I don't see why Druid couldn't fit in with that idea of someone who communes with the "gods" or powerful spirits, has a respect for the things more powerful than man, and is therefore able to command some of that power. If it is tied to nature in particular. You can take examples of Thor (Storms), Sol (Sun), Mani (Moon) or even take the elements with gods like Logi/Halogi (Fire) etc and use them as gods who have command with nature, and therefore a druid might be tied to one of these gods in particular and draw power/be granted favour from their gods. 
I'd also say that a key thing many people expect from druids in game terms is the ability to have animal companions or shift into animals.
Shaman would work as a name, but I think one man's Shaman is another man's Druid in many ways. Shamans I believe differ in that they are more linked to communing with the spirits and animism/animals. I think in a real world sense they seek answers from them, but you could definitely have them play as drawing power from spirits of their ancestors/totems of animals in battle or for finding information. 
Good examples from a game perspective of the difference is druids and shamans in Warcraft, similar in many ways, but also very different. 

9littlebees

Mon 13 Nov 2017, 22:57

If it matters, I don't personally have a problem with the term "Druid" and would actually quite like to see a class called this which breaks the D&D / WoW stereotype of animal companion caster.  Though I may be in the minority here.  When I think of the term "druid", my mind conjures up Stonehenge and Getafix, not the D&D or WoW druids.

I also like the term shaman, but see this as someone who communes with spirits.  So yeah, I'd say if the class you're aiming for has a strong nature slant to it, then go with "druid", if it's more of a spiritualist type, then go with "shaman".

Just my 2 pence / cents / öre.
I make YZE games (https://drivethrurpg.com/browse.php?author=Matt%20Kay) and produce predominately Free League content on my YouTube channel (https://youtube.com/@3skulls)

HumbleDM

Tue 14 Nov 2017, 00:58

Yep, I'm with you on breaking up that idea of what a druid is into something more like Stonehenge and Getafix. I just think that they are intrinsically linked to nature in some way so should have that elemental command thing going on. I do think you need to be able to call storms or bring life back to people, that sort of thing though. 

Do we have any indication of what the classes look like? I'm used to MYZ so I know how they are reflected in the roles there. 

Eldhierta

Tue 14 Nov 2017, 01:03

If it matters, I don't personally have a problem with the term "Druid" and would actually quite like to see a class called this which breaks the D&D / WoW stereotype of animal companion caster.  Though I may be in the minority here.  When I think of the term "druid", my mind conjures up Stonehenge and Getafix, not the D&D or WoW druids.

I also like the term shaman, but see this as someone who communes with spirits.  So yeah, I'd say if the class you're aiming for has a strong nature slant to it, then go with "druid", if it's more of a spiritualist type, then go with "shaman".

Just my 2 pence / cents / öre.
Alternatively, you could go the Shannara-road, where Druids are some mix of alchemist/sleight of hand illusionist/hedge wizard with an almost scientific approach to magic and "gods". Might be interesting =)

Erzaad
Topic Author

Wed 15 Nov 2017, 00:01

Again, I'm just hoping for something that makes the classes feel unique from your standard D&D setting, both in flavor and mechanics.