Harper

Re: Magic: Divine or Arcane Wisdom?

Sat 07 Oct 2017, 17:36

Maybe threshholds of corruption where you get permament cosmetic alterations to your character? Horns, black eyes, scaly skin and other physical changes as well as more sinister changes like your character now constantly being aware of demonic voices whispering in his ear or seeing disturbing things in the corner of his eye.
I think Symbaroum has that
Yeah, and Järnringen pretty much got it from RiotMinds' 18th century horror RPG Götterdämmerung.
I only find out about RiotMinds a few days ago, due to Trudvang Chronicles,
But point being if it's already done, why do it again?

Eldhierta

Sat 07 Oct 2017, 19:00

I think Symbaroum has that
Yeah, and Järnringen pretty much got it from RiotMinds' 18th century horror RPG Götterdämmerung.
Alright, I've never played Symbaorum, so I wouldn't know. Just thought it was a nice solution to the people wanting mages who'd be free from mana points. Especially since Fria Ligan has used radiation as an accumulating baddy in earlier games.

So you mean that as long as something's been done you don't need to do it again? Like not making any more fantasy roleplaying games since that's been done before? Or not using elves, orcs, humans, halflings or any race that's already been used? That, my friend, is quite a weak argument.

Eldhierta

Sat 07 Oct 2017, 20:32

Besides, I thought it fit quite well in the setting, seeing as how all of the Ravenlands came to be as it is today because of one Spellbinder reaching too far and wielding too much power, becoming polluted/twisted by demonic influence and dooming the whole of the land in the process. But maybe that's just me.

Harper

Sat 07 Oct 2017, 20:52

Alright, I've never played Symbaorum, so I wouldn't know. Just thought it was a nice solution to the people wanting mages who'd be free from mana points. Especially since Fria Ligan has used radiation as an accumulating baddy in earlier games.

So you mean that as long as something's been done you don't need to do it again? Like not making any more fantasy roleplaying games since that's been done before? Or not using elves, orcs, humans, halflings or any race that's already been used? That, my friend, is quite a weak argument.
Not the point at all, are you trying to be argumentative?
Corruption in magic is a very specific cliche, And if it's currently being done in at least two other games do you really want to use that again?
it's you grasping straws in your weak argument, (why not ask for clarification instead of filling with self serving assumption?, how is that a valid discussion?)
Corrupting magic = specific and narrow 
Classic tropes = general and broad 
Fantasy games = even broader
To put it simply, I like fantasy, and I like classical tropes of fantasy, I would just like to see something fresh,
Look, I've worked on projects where every ego manic wanted to leave their prints on the game,
They didn't give a shit wether it hurt the game or not, as long as they left a mark they would happily screw over the game,
It's very ugly, and destructive, and the project suffers
So when I say something about someone's idea sometimes instead of unbiased reasonable discussion, it bruises egos, 
If that's the case you may be involved for the wrong reasons...

Harper

Sat 07 Oct 2017, 20:53

Besides, I thought it fit quite well in the setting, seeing as how all of the Ravenlands came to be as it is today because of one Spellbinder reaching too far and wielding too much power, becoming polluted/twisted by demonic influence and dooming the whole of the land in the process. But maybe that's just me.
Evil magic, not all magic

Eldhierta

Sat 07 Oct 2017, 21:47

Corruption in magic is a very specific cliche, And if it's currently being done in at least two other games do you really want to use that again?
it's you grasping straws in your weak argument, (why not ask for clarification instead of filling with self serving assumption?, how is that a valid discussion?)
To put it simply, I like fantasy, and I like classical tropes of fantasy, I would just like to see something fresh,
Look, I've worked on projects where every ego manic wanted to leave their prints on the game,
They didn't give a shit wether it hurt the game or not, as long as they left a mark they would happily screw over the game,
So when I say something about someone's idea sometimes instead of unbiased reasonable discussion, it bruises egos, 
Harper, I'm not trying to stir up a shitstorm here on the forums, wouldn't dream of it. But from what I've gathered from the various threads you and I have very different views of the worlds we want to play in and the rules we want to use while playing them, and that's fine and just the way it should be. People have their own preferences and their own visions.

What I don't understand is how it is that in every thread you always seem to find a way to butt heads with other forumites through the way you seem to (seem to, I'm not sure that it's intentional) brush off everyone elses ideas as either stupid or inconsequential while your own musings are above judgement, lest you bring out the doomhammer and start blaming people for lambasting your person or call them psycopaths. You ask for a valid discussion, yet every time someone responds to you in a less than servile way you put the blame on them for being self-serving or misunderstanding your intention in very harsh words. How is that a valid discussion?

As for evil magic and corrupting influences, it has been stated that magic in Forbidden Lands will be dangerous and wild with very bad side effects if not properly handled. No matter the "alignment" of the magic. Evil and Good are very subjective terms, mostly employed by thinking, moral beings and there is no reason to believe that magic will judge along the same lines or even be able to judge at all. As I see it, magic is a tool, and what tool would judge it's wielder?
I didn't know about corruption being such a big part of Symbaorum (seeing as how I haven't played it), so sure, that is an argument for not using the mechanism in Forbidden Lands, since it's such a recent game. Using Götterdämmerung (another game I haven't played) as an example is a bit of a stretch though since it was released twelve years ago and never made a big mark for itself. It's no blockbuster.

I don't care if my ideas don't make it into the rulebook, I'm sure Fria Ligan have more than enough to draw from amongst themselves. But I do like musing and sharing my musings with others. It's inspiring and may give birth to new ideas that later coalesce into something that I never would have thought up without the interaction of others.

In conclusion, I don't think we'll ever hit it off, seeing as how our views drift in so different ways. So let's be civil and try to reply to eachothers posts in a constructive way from now on. Or, if that is not doable, let's not reply at all.

Harper

Sat 07 Oct 2017, 22:27

Harper, I'm not trying to stir up a shitstorm here on the forums, wouldn't dream of it. But from what I've gathered from the various threads you and I have very different views of the worlds we want to play in and the rules we want to use while playing them, and that's fine and just the way it should be. People have their own preferences and their own visions.

What I don't understand is how it is that in every thread you always seem to find a way to butt heads with other forumites through the way you seem to (seem to, I'm not sure that it's intentional) brush off everyone elses ideas as either stupid or inconsequential while your own musings are above judgement, lest you bring out the doomhammer and start blaming people for lambasting your person or call them psycopaths. You ask for a valid discussion, yet every time someone responds to you in a less than servile way you put the blame on them for being self-serving or misunderstanding your intention in very harsh words. How is that a valid discussion?
Let's just examine this shall we?
How much of what you have said is valid and how much of this is self serving bull?
When have I ever "brushed off" anyone else's ideas? (You think it's brushing off if I have a different idea?, that's your ego's assumption not fact)
When have I ever stated an idea was stupid or inconsequential? ( again, never have, any idea can inspire another idea, so even ones that could look dumb can serve a purpose, so again your ego talking not fact)
Show me where my "own musing" have been above judgement? (it's an open forum, and I've welcomed creative input, I don't expect anything I say to be used, but if it can inspire or help the game in any way great, I like helping, I'm not getting paid for this, I'm not looking for credit for this, don't need either, just trying to help if I can, so again, you opinion ego based assumption, not fact)
i will reply to anything I see as wrong, (you see, part of how a psychopath habits is to try to "character assassinate" rather than dispute the issue, to try to discredit while at the same time gain credit, they don't care about right or wrong, facts or fiction, it's just about feeding their ego, and hurting what they see as the "competition") 
But I'm sure you will even try to make out this reply is being unreasonable, lol,
But show me just once anywhere that proves your assumption fact, sound reasonable?

King_Kull

Sun 08 Oct 2017, 02:40

OMG! What is this?! I think we - as Forbidden Landsmen that we are - should discuss in the forum as civilised folk/kin/people. Let’s keep to the topic and let us discuss about the relevant topic. We can write, argue and bicker as we want, Fria Ligan and Eric have the steering wheel. We can write our opinion, give them perhaps ideas but ultimately it is their game and they could do without our input. But they want to hear us so please keep the peace before Fria Ligan will banish someone from the forum. This will be a sad moment:(
I am king!

Tomas
Site Admin

Sun 08 Oct 2017, 10:41

Alright, I'm very sorry that we need to do this, but this thread will now be locked as it has devitated from the topic and fallen to pointless bickering. You are welcome to continue to discuss magic in Forbidden Lands, but it will not be in this thread.

From now on, if you post derogatory comments about other people on the forum, you will be temporarily banned from this forum. For this forum to work, it needs to be friendly and it needs to be constructive.
Fria Ligan
GZIP: Off