Eldhierta

Re: History

Thu 12 Oct 2017, 01:54

Good point! After all, who the f-k is Caesar and Augustus in Ravenland? I'll bring it up.
How about:
1 Aftwinter/Eftervinter
2 Wolfmonth/Vargmånad
3 Wartide/Örlog
4 Grassmonth/Gräsmånad
6 Sweetmonth/Sötmånad
7 Soltid/Suntide
8 Rotmonth/Rötne
9 Harvest/Skördemånad
10 Raventide/Hrafne
11 Bloodmoon/Blodsmåne
12 Forewinter/Förvinter
But what if there's no moon?

Peter

Thu 12 Oct 2017, 09:23

But what if there's no moon?
Good point - and what if there are three? ;)
Check out my BoL heroic migration period hack - Barbarians of the Dark Ages
Kolla mitt ny-klassika BRP-derivat - Monster och Människor

9littlebees

Thu 12 Oct 2017, 10:13

Good point - and what if there are three? ;)
I know there are a lot of people here who aren't keen on the Old World, but this is one thing I love about it. They took a familiar setting (medieval Europe) and then (on top of the usual fantasy tropes: races, monsters, magic, etc) threw in this second, very weird Chaos moon. Two of the major holidays (Hexennacht, Geheimsnacht) and some of the months (Nachexen, Nachgeheim) are then aptly named around it. So it became far more important than just another light in the night sky.

Looking forward to what Erik comes up with here, whether that be 3 moons, or none.
I make YZE games (https://drivethrurpg.com/browse.php?author=Matt%20Kay) and produce predominately Free League content on my YouTube channel (https://youtube.com/@3skulls)

Brior
Topic Author

Thu 12 Oct 2017, 10:28

I can't guarantee that we'll have all this though since it's also a question of total text volume. It might be that the months and moons have to wait to a supplement. There's a lot to squeeze in as it is.

Fenhorn

Thu 12 Oct 2017, 10:37

If space is the problem you could write it and upload a small separate pdf as webb-supplement.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Peter

Thu 12 Oct 2017, 10:50

I can't guarantee that we'll have all this though since it's also a question of total text volume. It might be that the months and moons have to wait to a supplement. There's a lot to squeeze in as it is.
Or fanlore :) It's hardly core to the game experience.
If for any reason you have to refer to months in the core text but want to avoid July, August etc you could always just number them. Either 1-12 or "The second month of Spring", "the first month of Winter"

Brior
Topic Author

Thu 12 Oct 2017, 11:07

Or fanlore :) It's hardly core to the game experience.
If for any reason you have to refer to months in the core text but want to avoid July, August etc you could always just number them. Either 1-12 or "The second month of Spring", "the first month of Winter"
Fanlore sounds great. We don't talk that much about months since the adventure sites may be played anytime depending on the campaign each group runs. This said, we're leaning towards a northern European setting with cold winters and hot summers. Probably the differences will be greater – of the inland type. Something in the rules about how the season affects adventuring might be appropriate.

Peter

Thu 12 Oct 2017, 11:10

Fanlore sounds great. We don't talk that much about months since the adventure sites may be played anytime depending on the campaign each group runs. This said, we're leaning towards a northern European setting with cold winters and hot summers. Probably the differences will be greater – of the inland type. Something in the rules about how the season affects adventuring might be appropriate.
Something you certainly have past form on from the first Svavelvinter :) (correction -  the weather chart in Svavelvinter covered day to day weather, not seasons I suppose)
Maybe just a winter phase and a summer phase? Fully agree that it is probably better not to count months in game....

Brior
Topic Author

Thu 12 Oct 2017, 11:13

Something you certainly have past form on from the first Svavelvinter :)
Maybe just a winter phase and a summer phase? Fully agree that it is probably better not to count months in game....
What I would like are festivals and I'm leaning towards something using the Wiccan calendar as a base since it's built on the year's phases.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wicca#Wheel_of_the_Year
Perhaps eight ”months” between these would be nice?

9littlebees

Thu 12 Oct 2017, 12:08

Something you certainly have past form on from the first Svavelvinter :)
What I would like are festivals and I'm leaning towards something using the Wiccan calendar as a base since it's built on the year's phases.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wicca#Wheel_of_the_Year
Perhaps eight ”months” between these would be nice?
I like the sound of that!
I make YZE games (https://drivethrurpg.com/browse.php?author=Matt%20Kay) and produce predominately Free League content on my YouTube channel (https://youtube.com/@3skulls)