JargogleBamboozle

Re: Peoples and clans

Mon 23 Oct 2017, 10:22

I really like these ideas, but would suggest flipping the elf concepts. Dark-skinned elves are the ones who love the sun, pale elves are the moon worshippers. Basically elves have very sensitive skin. So you also have every skin shade in-between, based on how much time they spend in the sunlight.
Nice idea too about highly photo-reactive skin, though I like the idea of elf skin being much more stark than most human skin tones. The sun elves would be typically black-skinned and the moon elves chalky white. I'm divided on it though, because I also like the idea of two distinct tribes with completely opposite colorations for all the reasons stated above.
Last edited by JargogleBamboozle on Mon 23 Oct 2017, 10:40, edited 1 time in total.

JargogleBamboozle

Mon 23 Oct 2017, 10:37

So, while discussing elven and dwarfen appearance, it makes me wonder what the goblins and orcs look like? Human skin tones? Greens? Something else?

negromaestro

Tue 24 Oct 2017, 16:19

Remember, in a fantasy setting a magical elven race can still be dark-skinned because they live underground (bear with me, I am channelling DnD tropes here), even though based on our current biology, underground creatures are lighter skinned since they do not need protection from sunlight.

Having said the above, darker skinned sun-elves would garner more respect for Forbidden Lands. :D

I am still unsure whether the core races of Forbidden Lands will all share a common ancestor especially, with regards to the orcs and large ogres?

And if they share a common ancestor, then it would seem logical to allow both orcs and ogres as Player races during character creation.

9littlebees

Wed 25 Oct 2017, 08:04

Sure, an underground elf race can be dark skinned, but most of what we're seeing here are unique spins on the classic races, so I think something essentially Drow wouldn't fit here.
I make YZE games (https://drivethrurpg.com/browse.php?author=Matt%20Kay) and produce predominately Free League content on my YouTube channel (https://youtube.com/@3skulls)

Peter

Thu 26 Oct 2017, 22:35

I dont think we have any indication that we will have dark elves and light elves. Svartalfer, that have been referred elsewhere, that is admittedly the name used in the eddas for what might be old norse "dark elves" (or dwarves) but in this context its really goblins/hobgoblins.
Check out my BoL heroic migration period hack - Barbarians of the Dark Ages
Kolla mitt ny-klassika BRP-derivat - Monster och Människor

9littlebees

Fri 27 Oct 2017, 02:01

I dont think we have any indication that we will have dark elves and light elves. Svartalfer, that have been referred elsewhere, that is admittedly the name used in the eddas for what might be old norse "dark elves" (or dwarves) but in this context its really goblins/hobgoblins.
Yeah, I personally was just speculating on the elf kin in general, saying it could be a cool twist to the usual light / dark elf trope to instead have them have photoreactive skin.  And hence you could have elves of all different skin shades, but those particularly bent on worshipping either the moon or sun would have extremely pale or dark skin, due to exposure.
So yeah, not really commenting on the original Edda "dark elves" or "light elves", nor am I expecting any of this to make it into the book.  ;)
I make YZE games (https://drivethrurpg.com/browse.php?author=Matt%20Kay) and produce predominately Free League content on my YouTube channel (https://youtube.com/@3skulls)

negromaestro

Fri 27 Oct 2017, 12:46

"Svartalfar" would play into the Tolkein-esque trope of fallen elves becoming orc-like.

Eldhierta

Fri 27 Oct 2017, 17:38

"Svartalfar" would play into the Tolkein-esque trope of fallen elves becoming orc-like.
As I understand it svartalfer aren't really fallen elves though... they are a different species altogether, though they may share certain superficial traits that make them resemble one another.

In Swedish, alv/alf are originally the same thing, a supernatural being of some kind, not specified as a tolkienesque elf. Nowadays, since Tolkien came along, I would say that "alv" would translate as "elf" while "alf" is more undefined, closer to the old meaning. Then you also have the evolution of the word, "älva", which means "fairy". Makes sense, huh? =D

pedro_salgado

Fri 05 Jan 2018, 21:10

Ok, I'm going through the alpha version of the initial chapters in english (can't read Swedish, unfortunately), and these are my impressions on the kins:

- I really liked the story of the ancient war, and I noticed there were a few differences in the story told by each kin - especially regarding the involvement of orcs. My suggestion here would be changing the account of the elves to a more defensive claim (along the lines of "we had nothing to do with it, never enslaved them, it was all Raven God trickery").

- I liked the options given in chapter 2. Relating to previous discussions in this topic: I liked the inclusion of half-elves, orcs, and halflings as playable options. The only thing is: the halflings stand out as not connected to the world in the same way as the other races (very much like the Hobbits in Tolkien). Where do they come from? Where were they during those ancient wars? It might be that these questions are not asked because no one cares, which is fine. But in this case, why is that?

King_Kull

Fri 05 Jan 2018, 21:59

The only thing is: the halflings stand out as not connected to the world in the same way as the other races (very much like the Hobbits in Tolkien). Where do they come from? Where were they during those ancient wars? It might be that these questions are not asked because no one cares, which is fine. But in this case, why is that?
Perhaps the story of the halfling (I will call them halfings as someone on the forum has suggested ;)) will be one of the legends that the players will learn as they travel the Forbidden Lands?
I am king!