Eldhierta

Re: Peoples and clans

Tue 03 Oct 2017, 14:41

The thing I think I most balk at is the thought of all preconcieved notions of good or evil races as they are established in other worlds. Especially as we, the players, are in a morally grey area as looters and raiders who enter the Ravenlands in search of riches and fame. I love living in the gray areas, blacks and whites set my teeth on edge.

But I have faith in the Free League, moral ambiguity is a big part of M:Y0 and Coriolis. At least the way I play it =D
As far as I'm concerned you don't need to worry about the setting being black and white. I have a constructivist take on this where good and evil mostly results from perspective. The first thing I sort out with a character is drive and moral platform and how this builds conflicts with others. The orcs for instance don't think they are evil. They may be hierarchic, violent and despise weakness, but that's how they think it should be. Others don't agree naturally, which is what builds conflict and story.
Of course, I have no doubt that your writing will be great and that you understand the inherent problems in having simple and underdeveloped protagonists and antagonists. I just reacted to the comments wishing for races to be the good side of this or the evil side of that. It feels... icky.

So they are basically men in a typical patriarchal society? ;D Though I guess that among orcs it's actually gender neutral and more about individual prowess. So, meritocracy?
Last edited by Eldhierta on Tue 03 Oct 2017, 14:47, edited 1 time in total.

Svante Landgraf

Tue 03 Oct 2017, 14:46

Maybe we could hope for an expansion down the line concentrating on nonstandard peoples and classes, like reptilians, insectoids, half-demons, minotaurs, revenants, demon hunters, death knights, demonologists, warlocks ... Would love to help with that one if there's any need. :D
(sound of spatiotemporal holocaust)

Brior
Topic Author

Tue 03 Oct 2017, 16:21

So they are basically men in a typical patriarchal society? ;D Though I guess that among orcs it's actually gender neutral and more about individual prowess. So, meritocracy?
I actually have a take on this that I think you'll find interesting, but I'll keep it to myself for now since it's kind of spoileresque.
Let me tease you by saying that only one out of eight born orcs is female and that only 50% of the male offspring makes it to adulthood. Radical meritocracy among the males – yes. (Assuming that my ideas survive – about 50% of them do ;-) )

Eldhierta

Tue 03 Oct 2017, 16:34

I actually have a take on this that I think you'll find interesting, but I'll keep it to myself for now since it's kind of spoileresque.
Let me tease you by saying that only one out of eight born orcs is female and that only 50% of the male offspring makes it to adulthood. Radical meritocracy among the males – yes. (Assuming that my ideas survive – about 50% of them do ;-) )
So meritocracy mixed with matriarchs forcing the male populace into insanely bloody gladitorial games for the right to reproduce? Sign me up! =D

Betting the females gets all the good food too, so they are the stronger gender due to not being malnourished since childhood in the mistinfused Ravenlands.

creativehum

Tue 03 Oct 2017, 16:34

Thanks for the tease, Brior. Definitely sounds like a direction I could enjoy. 

As someone who worked on the original Earthdawn game for FASA years ago I can see the value of taking things that are old and using them again. All I want is that these things are also turn into something new.

Can't wait to hear more about the setting in this last week of the Kickstarter!

Harper

Tue 03 Oct 2017, 16:47

Great discussion here!

A general comment: Our aim with Forbidden Lands is to keep the classic fantasy races/peoples, but make them feel different and fresh. On the surface, they might act and look as you would expect them to - this is a retro game with classic fantasy art after all - but under the surface, there is many new things to discover. This is the balance we strive for. We, or rather Erik mainly, has created new contexts and backstories for the peoples of the Forbidden Lands, connecting them to the world and to each other in fresh and unexpected ways,
Intriguing...

Brior
Topic Author

Tue 03 Oct 2017, 16:51

Another funny detail on orcs: I was thinking how you simply wouldn't be able to say certain sounds with tusks sticking out from your lower jaw, so I hooked two fingers in my lower lip and only used names that I still could pronounciate. Presenting yourself to an orc using a name he can't say is considered an open insult ;-). The females don't have tusks and actually like to insult their men in this way, demonstrating verbal superiority.

Harper

Tue 03 Oct 2017, 16:57

Another funny detail on orcs: I was thinking how you simply wouldn't be able to say certain sounds with tusks sticking out from your lower jaw, so I hooked two fingers in my lower lip and only used names that I still could pronounciate. Presenting yourself to an orc using a name he can't say is considered an open insult ;-). The females don't have tusks and actually like to insult their men in this way, demonstrating verbal superiority.
Lol like,
(Try using pencil stubs, as tusks)

Eldhierta

Tue 03 Oct 2017, 17:19

A study of societal structures among Orcs & Men - Matriarchs are just as big ******** as Patriarchs.

Also, where there many names you couldn't pronounce at all or did they just become slobbier and more indistinct?

Brior
Topic Author

Tue 03 Oct 2017, 17:40

Also, where there many names you couldn't pronounce at all or did they just become slobbier and more indistinct?
Anything that needs you to put your lips together is a basically no: p, v, b, f, m etc. They do become other sounds if you try and then I use those. In one of the adventure sites there is a human advisor to an orc chieftain, and he actually changed his name not to be offensive.