Harper

Re: Peoples and clans

Tue 03 Oct 2017, 02:19

I like Erik‘s idea that halflings and dark elves are of the same origin, halflings good and dark elves evil. Hope I got it right with the elves...
Found it:
What I'd like to do is have the halflings be ”the good side” of one species and perhaps the ”svartalf” the bad side. Perhaps they are born as twins resulting from some godly deal (”OK, you can have one if I have one too”) I'll be back with more concerning this.
Duuuude not the elves man, let them be related to another race lol

Eldhierta

Tue 03 Oct 2017, 06:50

For me (and this might have been only for me) "Retro" meant what I read on the KS page:
RETRO ROLEPLAYING
So, what do we mean by a retro RPG? In Forbidden Lands, you will play raiders and rogues in an unforgiving world, but what you do is up to you. RPGs from the late ’70s and early ‘80s often had this open approach to adventuring. You were free to roam a map and discover its secrets and treasures. This is something we aim to recapture - with the support of modern game mechanics. The sandbox approach to gaming gives the players the freedom to make their mark on the game world however they want - if they can survive long enough to tell the tale.
What mattered to me was a) raiders and rogues; b) unforgiving world; c) roaming the map and discovering its secrets and treasures. Races and tropes from the D&D Genre of fantasy didn't pop into my head at all. It was the open, sandbox play-style mixed with Free League's smart mechanics that made me excited.

Again, not a disaster for me. But not what I was thinking about when I got excited about the project.
This. So much this. Classic and old school is for me more about the style of play. Lovers of DnD have just that, DnD. Let this be something different, something dark, gritty and unknown, just like it's setting. If it's all about discovery and reclaiming history, let us do that, give us something to discover.

From what I gather from the small pieces of lore shared, the elves of FL may be the coolest necro-elves I've ever heard of with hearts made of jewels who can be resurrected as long as their heartstone is intact. So that might slide. But for all of the other kin to work, I would want for them to be really unique takes on their respective tropes.

Are dwarfes and halflings really so cool you have to have them both? Why not let them be two offshoots of the same species? Or maybe halflings are the shunned caste of the dwarfen society, having strayed from the ways of old and who have commingled with men to such a degree as to no longer be considered real dwarves by their more traditional brethren?

Or halflings (halfings?) could be a derogatory word for all mixbreeds? And some would then look just like the original trope (human-dwarf) for the hobbit-fans and the rest (all other mixbreeds) could be relatively trope-free.

I'd rather have a few, well concieved types of kin than trying to cram all the popular ones into a game that don't really need them and don't have any real reason for them to be there.

Also, Orcs as a slave-race feels a bit over and done with, let them be their own masters for once.

King_Kull

Tue 03 Oct 2017, 09:51

If I recall it correctly the orcs are now free and hating the elves and dwarves, their former master.

Hm, nice idea that the halflings (btw, the term halfings rocks) are related to the dwarves. The halfings should be the surface dwarves their culture know more akin to the humans and therefore shunned by the other and real dwarves. Perhaps the gods of the dwarves have cursed them and now they are beardless - what a shame ;)
I am king!

Svante Landgraf

Tue 03 Oct 2017, 10:20

I certainly hope orcs will be playable. In fact, I'd prefer if the playable peoples would include weird stuff like ogres, reptilians, half-demons, revenants, and insectoids. My tastes might be a bit too far out here. :) Will probably do a hack for some weirder peoples as well as classes once the game hits.
(sound of spatiotemporal holocaust)

McAber

Tue 03 Oct 2017, 11:40

I agree. Being able to play Orcs and similar races would be nice.
McAber, tilltuffsad varulv

Harper

Tue 03 Oct 2017, 12:07

Can't have retro or classic without "tropes" of some kind to reflect those things

Peter

Tue 03 Oct 2017, 12:15

Personally I don't think that halflings are needed, although if there is an angle that's cool enough they are certainly welcome. Being related to Svartalfer (who are not dark elves btw, rather related to Orcs and Goblins) sounds interesting.

Goes for all of the kin, I trust Erik to have interesting angles as we have seen with Elves and Orcs from the snippets so far
Check out my BoL heroic migration period hack - Barbarians of the Dark Ages
Kolla mitt ny-klassika BRP-derivat - Monster och Människor

Tomas
Site Admin

Tue 03 Oct 2017, 12:46

Great discussion here!

A general comment: Our aim with Forbidden Lands is to keep the classic fantasy races/peoples, but make them feel different and fresh. On the surface, they might act and look as you would expect them to - this is a retro game with classic fantasy art after all - but under the surface, there is many new things to discover. This is the balance we strive for. We, or rather Erik mainly, has created new contexts and backstories for the peoples of the Forbidden Lands, connecting them to the world and to each other in fresh and unexpected ways,
Fria Ligan

Eldhierta

Tue 03 Oct 2017, 13:42

The thing I think I most balk at is the thought of all preconcieved notions of good or evil races as they are established in other worlds. Especially as we, the players, are in a morally grey area as looters and raiders who enter the Ravenlands in search of riches and fame. I love living in the gray areas, blacks and whites set my teeth on edge.

But I have faith in the Free League, moral ambiguity is a big part of M:Y0 and Coriolis. At least the way I play it =D

Brior
Topic Author

Tue 03 Oct 2017, 14:14

The thing I think I most balk at is the thought of all preconcieved notions of good or evil races as they are established in other worlds. Especially as we, the players, are in a morally grey area as looters and raiders who enter the Ravenlands in search of riches and fame. I love living in the gray areas, blacks and whites set my teeth on edge.

But I have faith in the Free League, moral ambiguity is a big part of M:Y0 and Coriolis. At least the way I play it =D
As far as I'm concerned you don't need to worry about the setting being black and white. I have a constructivist take on this where good and evil mostly results from perspective. The first thing I sort out with a character is drive and moral platform and how this builds conflicts with others. The orcs for instance don't think they are evil. They may be hierarchic, violent and despise weakness, but that's how they think it should be. Others don't agree naturally, which is what builds conflict and story.