Peter

Re: Peoples and clans

Mon 02 Oct 2017, 08:19

I thought “svartalfer” are “dark dwarfs” who live alongside the dark elves.
In Old Norse mythology Svartalfar or Dökkalfar (black/dark elves) are some sort of subterranean anti-thesis to Ljosalfar (light elves) that may or may not be the same thing as dwarves. There's not much to go on in terms of how they are conceptualised.
In classic Swedish role playing (i.e. in good old Drakar och Demoner) Svartalfer (note the slightly adapted spelling) are one of the 'goblinoid' peoples alongside 'vättar' (which is how 'goblins' were translated in the Hobbit), 'orcher' (how Orcs were translated in LoTR), 'resar' (ogres) and troll. They are lanky and sinewy, halfway between vattar and orcher, and tend to be wolfriders and brigands. This is a classic Svartalf in this sense by Nisse.
Check out my BoL heroic migration period hack - Barbarians of the Dark Ages
Kolla mitt ny-klassika BRP-derivat - Monster och Människor

Brior
Topic Author

Mon 02 Oct 2017, 08:42

What novels? Fantasy? And are they available in English or German?
Yes, fantasy novels – four books totalling 2300 pages. Not translated into German or English yet, although I hope that one day they will be. I have a summary pdf in English in case anybody's interested.

King_Kull

Mon 02 Oct 2017, 10:12

What novels? Fantasy? And are they available in English or German?
Yes, fantasy novels – four books totalling 2300 pages. Not translated into German or English yet, although I hope that one day they will be. I have a summary pdf in English in case anybody's interested.
Absolutely!!! :) 
I am king!

Svante Landgraf

Mon 02 Oct 2017, 10:16

How about reptiloid folks? There is at least one Gullikson illustration, from Monsterboken 1, and I've always been a fan of those. Would love if they were playable. Especially if there are remnants of an ancient, pre-human reptiloid civilisation with gruesome ruins in the swamps, where the current degenerated descendants roam as barbarians, but some splinters of the old order linger with priests and wizards and ceremonial knights in sealed-off castles.
Last edited by Svante Landgraf on Mon 02 Oct 2017, 10:42, edited 1 time in total.
(sound of spatiotemporal holocaust)

Brior
Topic Author

Mon 02 Oct 2017, 10:27

How about reptiloid folks? There is at least one Gullikson illustratio, from Monsterboken 1, and I've always been a fan of those. Would love if they were playable. Especially if there are remnants of an ancient, pre-human reptiloid civilisation with gruesome ruins in the swamps, where the current degenerated descendants roam as barbarians, but some splinters of the old order linger with priests and wizards and ceremonial knights in sealed-off castles.
We have some nice, welcoming marshes, so it would definitely be possible ecology-wise. I'll bring it up with FL on friday. I foresee them to have some problems moving around elsewhere as player characters though.

Svante Landgraf

Mon 02 Oct 2017, 11:10

How about reptiloid folks? There is at least one Gullikson illustratio, from Monsterboken 1, and I've always been a fan of those. Would love if they were playable. Especially if there are remnants of an ancient, pre-human reptiloid civilisation with gruesome ruins in the swamps, where the current degenerated descendants roam as barbarians, but some splinters of the old order linger with priests and wizards and ceremonial knights in sealed-off castles.
We have some nice, welcoming marshes, so it would definitely be possible ecology-wise. I'll bring it up with FL on friday. I foresee them to have some problems moving around elsewhere as player characters though.
I was envisioning a very rag-tag group of player characters of every conceivable kin and persuasion, united in their greed and lust for adventure. The reptiloids could easily be mercenaries, hired barbarian-guides, priests on a mission, or strange and noble knights. But maybe that's just me.
(sound of spatiotemporal holocaust)

Peter

Mon 02 Oct 2017, 11:25

Well... how about folk then? The Elder Folk? Maybe? People just feels too mundane, too... dunno, modern?
Tell professor Tolkien that... ;) “For the rest, they shall represent the other Free Peoples of the World: Elves, Dwarves, and Men." as Elrond would have it.
'People' is just clearer, plainer English. Kin smacks of fantasy-jargon and Folk is too colloquial - my 2 cent
Last edited by Peter on Mon 02 Oct 2017, 11:30, edited 1 time in total.

Brior
Topic Author

Mon 02 Oct 2017, 11:26

I was envisioning a very rag-tag group of player characters of every conceivable kin and persuasion, united in their greed and lust for adventure. The reptiloids could easily be mercenaries, hired barbarian-guides, priests on a mission, or strange and noble knights. But maybe that's just me.
Absolutely. I was thinking that people who never saw a reptiloid might be highly suspicious to put it mildly and also that they might have problems not being in swamps, put as long as you have a way to tackle this you're free to be one of course. Don't know if they will supported as playable characters in the rules, but I'll bring it up.

Peter

Mon 02 Oct 2017, 11:36

Savage, trident-wielding, swamp-dwelling reptilians sound spot on to me :)

King_Kull

Mon 02 Oct 2017, 12:30

Perhaps the playable swamp people are more like the people of Dunwich. Great bulging eyes, big mouth, a little frog-like. Perhaps they are the descendants of reptilian folks mixing with magic (arcane or divine) to resemble humans and to blend easier in other villages and cities.
I am king!