King_Kull

Re: Polyhedral dice,

Fri 29 Sep 2017, 15:33

Ordered dice as an add on, too, and an extra card deck. Perhaps should order another dice set...
I am king!

9littlebees

Fri 29 Sep 2017, 15:45

While I'd love to buy 3 sets of the official dice, they're far too expensive for me, personally.  I'll be making my own using blank dice, as I've done in MYZ when the official dice went out of stock and I needed more.

Approximately 0.30€ per blank die in white, black, ivory and red from TheDiceShopOnline make them very affordable, though shipping is really only reasonable here in Europe (the shop is in the UK).

I can buy the equivalent of 3 Q Workshop sets (30d6, 3d8, 3d10, 3d12) for €14.78, which includes shipping.  One set of Q Workshop dice would cost roughly €15.50.

Please don't take this as me saying not to buy the Q Workshop dice, but for those of us with tight finances, there is a more affordable route to getting custom dice.
I make YZE games (https://drivethrurpg.com/browse.php?author=Matt%20Kay) and produce predominately Free League content on my YouTube channel (https://youtube.com/@3skulls)

Harper
Topic Author

Fri 29 Sep 2017, 19:22

Read something that the mechanism is more related to MYZ. But I don’t know anything specific, sorry.
I don't have MYZ, (not like I haven't tried to get a copy, but they are sold out within the UK, can't find one anywhere) but i do have both Coriolis and Loop,
It seems to be a variant of MYZ
Hi!
MYZ is currently out of print, it will take about a month for a new batch to arrive. In the meantime, there is always the starter booklet, which is also available as a free PDF.
And yes, as the rules stand now, Forbidden Lands will use dice in a fashion very close to MYZ, with the exception that polydice will be used for powerful artifacts, magic and the like. On these, a 6+ will also mean success, and higher rolls will mean multiple successes (just like rolling several sixes). It goes like this:
D8: 6-7 means one success, 8 means two successes.
D10: 6-8 means one success, 9-10 means two successes.
D12: 6-9 means one success, 10-11 means two successes, 12 means three successes.
This is not fully finalized yet, but it's what we're working with right now.
Just throwing this out there,
But what if you had one degree of success per every two points over six? (Easy to remember)
And what if each die was called
D8 Legendary
D10 Mythic
D12 Epic

King_Kull

Sat 30 Sep 2017, 00:00

I like the dice mechanic as it is and I think the custom dice will supporting this. And it‘s not so difficult to remember. Perhaps it would be a good idea to write a little table of the successes on the character sheet.
But, Harper, the idea of the name for the dice is so awesome!!! :) I absolutely love this idea, could kiss you! GM: „Ok, it’s not easy to hit the flying raven with the message for the Rusted Brothers...“ Player: „Don’t worry. I have Demon Bane, my trusty longbow and it’s a Mythic Item - so I have a d10 within my dice pool (grin)“
I am king!

Harper
Topic Author

Sat 30 Sep 2017, 00:36

I like the dice mechanic as it is and I think the custom dice will supporting this. And it‘s not so difficult to remember. Perhaps it would be a good idea to write a little table of the successes on the character sheet.
But, Harper, the idea of the name for the dice is so awesome!!! :) I absolutely love this idea, could kiss you! GM: „Ok, it’s not easy to hit the flying raven with the message for the Rusted Brothers...“ Player: „Don’t worry. I have Demon Bane, my trusty longbow and it’s a Mythic Item - so I have a d10 within my dice pool (grin)“
Not on the mouth!...NOT ON THE MOUTH!!!!
Lol

King_Kull

Sat 30 Sep 2017, 09:50

Ok, on the cheek ;)
But really love your idea and hope that Fri Ligan love it, too, and name the dice and items with your suggestions. When you find a Legendary Artifact than you will know already that it will give you a d8 for your pool. AWESOME! :)
I am king!

Tomas
Site Admin

Sat 30 Sep 2017, 11:06

Great idea with named dice! :)
Fria Ligan

Harper
Topic Author

Sat 30 Sep 2017, 14:15

Great idea with named dice! :)
Ok, on the cheek ;)
But really love your idea and hope that Fri Ligan love it, too, and name the dice and items with your suggestions. When you find a Legendary Artifact than you will know already that it will give you a d8 for your pool. AWESOME! :)
Cheers guys, :D

9littlebees

Sat 30 Sep 2017, 14:41

Yep, great idea.
I make YZE games (https://drivethrurpg.com/browse.php?author=Matt%20Kay) and produce predominately Free League content on my YouTube channel (https://youtube.com/@3skulls)

creativehum

Sat 30 Sep 2017, 17:06

I know that the rules are not finalized.

With that in mind, one question:

The rules will be similar to the rules in MY0. Will that rules be similar enough that we can use the d6s from MY0? Or will be the d6s be formatted differently. 

I ask because I have just ordered a bucketload of blank d6s to create my own MY0 dice. (I only picked up the game a couple of weeks ago, fell in love with it, and can't wait to share it with my players!)

I am wondering if I'll be needing to get new blank d6s for FL. (While the official dice sets look great, they will be expensive to set up for all my players!)