Bartolom
Topic Author

armour voluntary degrading

Tue 20 Apr 2021, 14:51

sorry if this has already been asked, couldn't find it while looking back.

is the rule meant so that you can voluntary take a hit on your armour, i.e. as in the example in the rule book where the dwarf gets hit, takes 4 damage, rolls a 6 and a 1, which means that the armour goes down from original (was 8) to 7 and that he then can opt to take the rest of the damage on his mail to go down to 4 armour rating total (in the example it says 5 but i guess this is an error?) --> meaning you take no damage yourself.

have been playing mutant and understood when reading just the rules the rule to be: you have 8 armour, you roll and if the damage is higher than what you protect then it will go down with the amount of 1 (skull) that you roll, it doesn't say that you can also let the armour degrade voluntary (and it seems a bit odd).

Fenhorn

Re: armour voluntary degrading

Tue 20 Apr 2021, 15:00

That example is very confusing.

The armor rules works just like in MYZ. If you take any damage, any Bane rolled on the armor roll will damage the armor that amount. If you have a helmet, it is up to you what piece of armor that will take the damage.

The confusing in the example is that the world damage is used both for damage to strength and for damage to the armor piece.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Bartolom
Topic Author

Tue 20 Apr 2021, 15:04

awesome, thank you!

Fenhorn

Tue 20 Apr 2021, 15:08

I found an old thread about that example and how armor works. Here is the answer that was given then.
Armor works like this:
* Any success rolled with the armor roll reduces the damage by one. So if a hit would do 4 damage and the armor roll resulted in 1 success, you take 3 damage.
* If any damage penetrated the armor, any bane rolled with the armor roll will reduce one or the targets armors armor ratings by 1 point (the wearers choice). So if you took 3 damage but also sadly rolled a 1, your armor will take damage. If you had a chainmail (6 AR) and an open helmet (2 AR), you can damage either one of them by one. For example the chainmail down to 5.
* Natural armor never take damage.

The example is actually correct.

agent_pumpkin

Sun 30 May 2021, 18:11

So can you guys help with this example then please?

If a target recived 1 point of damage from a single attack and then decided to roll for their Studded Leather armour but they roll no successes and a single bane. Do they now take 1 damage to Strength and 1 damage to armour?

Fenhorn

Sun 30 May 2021, 18:42

So can you guys help with this example then please?

If a target recived 1 point of damage from a single attack and then decided to roll for their Studded Leather armour but they roll no successes and a single bane. Do they now take 1 damage to Strength and 1 damage to armour?
If you take damage from an attack, you make an armour roll. If, any of the damage goes through the armour (the armour roll didn't remove it), then the armour takes if you rolled a bane (1 point per bane). So with your example, you take 1 damage because the armour roll didn't remove that and sadly the armour takes 1 point of damage as well.

agent_pumpkin

Thu 17 Jun 2021, 15:50

Understood. Many thanks.