husentiel91
Topic Author

Forbidden Lands RPG: Need Advice For Playing Sorcerer

Fri 16 Oct 2020, 18:19

So I'm joining a Forbidden Lands game. I'm planning on playing a sorcerer, but I'm worried. This game is pretty hardcore and low-magic, and it's very easy to get oneself killed in one shot. The initial magic talent I'm going to take is Stone Song, but I feel like I need at least minimal melee of ranged fighting ability. Is there a way to make a balanced character without spreading myself too thin? Or maybe there's a way to make a viable spellsword, or someone similar?

Overall, the party is already pretty well-rounded. We have a dwarven fighter, a human hunter, a half-elf blood sorcerer and a wolfkin druid with healing magic.appvalley
tutuapp
tweakbox
Last edited by husentiel91 on Mon 19 Oct 2020, 10:53, edited 2 times in total.

Fenhorn

Re: Forbidden Lands RPG: Need Advice For Playing Sorcerer

Fri 16 Oct 2020, 18:23

Since this is not a game where you cast spells every round, you cast spells every now and then and between those now and then you probably need to to be able to fight. Magic is cast through talents in this game, so you don't need specific skills for that.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Mr Oldtimer

Sat 17 Oct 2020, 02:35

What Fenhorn said.

Since you already got quite a well rounded party, I'd go for exactly what you want to play! Choose kin and personality first or go with the background generator and just build what you want to play. It's more fun to adventure and die as your preference than live like what the others want you to play.
As a spell caster you could very well be the best or second best melee fighter in the group still. It won't break the game. If that's your preference.

BrotherB

Sat 17 Oct 2020, 10:03

I have played about 24 sessions as a Elf Druid. But my characters role are more of a tank than spellcaster. He are a very good and strong fighter. His background paints him up as an guardian of natural life.

As the other says. Play who you want to play rather that thinking in roles.
Nothing lasts, but nothing is lost.

Konungr

Sat 17 Oct 2020, 15:22

The way I always describe it to people is that magic is more like Conan and LotR then anything else. Gandalf has a sword and fights with his sword more often then he casts magic in a fight. Thulsa Doom is a warlord in armor with a sword. He's also a sorcerer that turns things into snakes. Nobody is JUST a spell caster. Magic is too dangerous and too costly for anyone to rely on it as their first go to action.