trickonometry
Topic Author

New Player with Questions!

Fri 26 Jun 2020, 23:02

Hello! A buddy of mine had picked-up Forbidden Lands a while back, and he recently introduced it to me. We’re getting a group together now to play, likely through Roll20. I've been reading through the rules diligently, and I LOVE the atmosphere and fresh approach to character building and a different rule set (we’ve played a lot of D&D). That said, I do have a few questions (some specific, some general) I thought this forum might be able to help answer to make sure our first session goes as well as possible. (-:

1) The combat system seems a little daunting after coming from playing D&D - any tips/tricks to help keep it simple and/or flow well when we have our first encounter?
2) I personally love the idea of the Peddler class and playing a diplomatic character, but I have some concerns - are Peddlers able to hold their own in a fight? Items seem useful, but does their access to gold and items do enough to make them a valuable member of a party? I just don't want to be playing all for flavor text only to be slaughtered in the first encounter. lol
3) Are there talents and/or skills that a party would really miss if they weren't present? For instance, it seems like healing is in such small supply that a party might be seriously disadvantaged if they didn't have someone with dedicated healing skills. Are there other skills/abilities that a party should really make sure they have covered?
4) Are there any weak/broken talents and/or skills that either need to be buffed or potentially nerfed? Given the rough-and-tumble vibe the game gives off, we're a little less concerned with things being a little overpowered, I'm more concerned with avoiding anything that would under-perform to a high enough degree that it makes it harder to have fun.
5) Are there any tips/tricks you wish you would have heard before your first session that would have made it better?

Thank you for any and all help y'all can provide! (-:

OddsBodkins

Re: New Player with Questions!

Sat 27 Jun 2020, 04:16

You might find it helpful to see how the game is played by enthusiasts, like those over at Three Skulls Tavern - they show everything from Session 0 to house rules and how to manage exploration and combat, along with some interesting house rules to augment/speed up play.

Konungr

Sat 27 Jun 2020, 16:51

1) It's not unlike DnD in that there is an action economy. But unlike DnD where you get a move, a action, and a free action + reactions you just get a slow and a fast. In other Year Zero games these are assigned points (slow actions are 2 points fast actions are 1 point) and then players have 3 points each turn to act.

The biggest difference is probably the zones instead of measuring things in 5ft steps. It's pretty easy when you consider a bar in a inn. The open entrance is a zone. In the middle of all the tables is a zone. Behind the bar is a zone. So if the player wants to move from the tables to behind the bar by jumping the bar that is 1 move action that requires a roll because the terrain is difficult.

2) The classes don't matter that much unlike DnD. Everyone can pick up every weapon and use it. The vast majority of combat talents are available to everyone.

3) It depends on the party and what challenges they are facing. Equipment repair is important. Foraging or hunting is important. Survival in general is important. Survival is a big aspect of this game. Not just living through a fight but making it in the world.

4) I personally think if you are looking to make a build you are playing the game wrong. It's about being a person in the world, not a Diablo character build. But if we are going to do this you need to consider what power means. Someone who just wants to win fights would love executioner, axe talents, and so on to make sure your every blow is destroying your enemies. But, that person will die of thirst in the wildness like any man.

5) Don't plan for what you want your characters to be. First, they just might not live that long. Second, let the events that happen to them help shape who they become. When they do eventually die (and they probably will) make it a good interesting end to a story and move on to the next one. Don't get all upset about it.

Ebrim

Tue 30 Jun 2020, 03:52

I think Konungr gives really good answers. And thanks for the shout, OddsBodkins!

Since both Three Skulls Tavern and Peddlers were brought up... I'm playing a peddler in the Forbidden Lands AP over at 3ST and I certainly don't feel irrelevant even when a fight breaks loose. I've also GM'ed a couple Forbidden Lands campaigns.

1) Combat in Forbidden Lands tends to be very quick. Only rarely does a fight last more than a couple rounds. The actual playing of it the first time if you're all new might be a little slower as you learn how to put together your dice pools and you'll probably miss some stuff and that's fine. The beauty of combat in Forbidden Lands is just how good of a trade it makes for giving interesting options while also keeping the actual system from being way too clunky.

2) Peddlers can certainly excel when it comes time to manipulate someone but that's not the end of their utility. As Konunger says, anyone can pick up and use a weapon, and as everyone in Forbidden Lands is a raider and a rogue - almost certainly they all will. My Peddler in 3ST is also the person in the group most adept a dealing with animals and is a natural healer due to his high empathy score which may be useful in a pinch. He also has a good strength score of 4 helping to keep him relevant in a fight despite having no melee skill or for helping with other physical tasks but he's not of much use for the journeying/survival gameplay generally (though the Peddler talent Pack of Many Things has some pretty awesome utility in almost any situation).

3) Survival. You really want to make sure that someone in the group has a decent survival dice pool of at least 5 dice. Healing is good, magical healing from a druid can allow for things that normal heal skill can't do but obviously comes with the risk of mishaps so use it sparingly.

4) I generally dislike the Luck talent. I've thought of a number of ways to houserule it as my fear is that it can remove the fear of near instant death that should always follow a character when they go into a fight. That said, unless you invest quite heavily in it, it's actually not the worst and if it's being "abused" the GM can always have a few NPCs with Executioner hanging around... I can't think of any talents you absolutely wouldn't want except for the Fighter Talent "Path of the Enemy", as it says in the PHB, this will only be useful to you if your table is going to be using the Advanced Combat system with cards quite often.

5) The GM should read and re-read the Principles of the Game and following that re-read the advice for how to set up your first session. I think that advice is golden. Don't start with some crazy over-arching plot, not for your first game of Forbidden Lands. It doesn't have to be flashy. Go slow, have the players know of a couple sites they might want to visit, have a couple random encounters in mind from the GM Guide as they're great at giving world lore and feel.
Catch me on Three Skulls Tavern: YouTube or Twitch, a Forbidden Lands AP which focuses on learning the game, playing Raven’s Purge

Tywyll

Tue 30 Jun 2020, 13:34

I would say the Smith Talent is very important to repair weapons and armor in the field.

d(sqrt(-1))

Fri 03 Jul 2020, 10:58

(though the Peddler talent Pack of Many Things has some pretty awesome utility in almost any situation).
I was thinking about the Pack of Many Things talent - interestingly it says that you need to track what has been pulled out and it can't be put back. So can you give these things to other people? It would seem odd if they could then try to sell them, esp at Rank 3 where you can pull items valued in GP. Obviously limited by the WP you want to spend as well. I thought it was amusing to see that although you can't pull out heavy things, with the Rank 2 talent RAW you could pull out a long spear (cost 4 WP though unless you have level 3).

Not necessarily a good idea but I did wonder about giving it a resource die of its own, starting at d12 and every time you pull something out you roll as normal. When it's gone you have to buy a new one as per the Talent.

Ebrim

Sat 04 Jul 2020, 04:37

I was thinking about the Pack of Many Things talent - interestingly it says that you need to track what has been pulled out and it can't be put back. So can you give these things to other people? It would seem odd if they could then try to sell them, esp at Rank 3 where you can pull items valued in GP. Obviously limited by the WP you want to spend as well. I thought it was amusing to see that although you can't pull out heavy things, with the Rank 2 talent RAW you could pull out a long spear (cost 4 WP though unless you have level 3).

Not necessarily a good idea but I did wonder about giving it a resource die of its own, starting at d12 and every time you pull something out you roll as normal. When it's gone you have to buy a new one as per the Talent.
Haha, yes. I think a GM should feel free to limit it to things that could conceivably be stored in a quite large bag.
Catch me on Three Skulls Tavern: YouTube or Twitch, a Forbidden Lands AP which focuses on learning the game, playing Raven’s Purge