Rymdhamster

Re: Importance of 300 years of Blood Mist?

Tue 26 Mar 2019, 11:20

I am curious how this has been rationalised by other players, where were these battles/wars fought and by whom?
I figure most battles happend before the mist decended, when the land was much more populated than now. Then the mist came an isolated all the towns and villages, but they keept telling the stories over and over again. And as stories do, they grew into these fantastical wars, and the opposite side became more and more demonized with each telling. So most of the racist trends are based on extreme exaguarations.

Then of course, during the time of the mist, occasionally a towns crops might have failed, and facing starvatin they set out into the mist to find food, perhaps by raiding other towns they came across. For some travel seems to have been possible during the mist, but incredibly risky. These raids of course inflated the hostility even more! You've heard these stories about how horrible the orcs are all you life, and then all of a sudden out of the deadly mist comes a hoard of them and steals what little food you have!

Then the mist lifts, and five years passes which should be just enough time that some people start realizing that maybe orcs and dwarfs and humans and elves aren't all that bad, besides now everyone needs something and most settlements probably don't have enough people to raid, so trade between old enemies is more or less a neccesity. But five years shouldn't be enought time to sway the generall opinion, just to soften it ever so lightly. So old tensions are still there.

lupex

Tue 26 Mar 2019, 15:39

But the character backgrounds in the booklet actually includes reference to recent wars and battles, that is the bit that is slightly confusing due to the 300 year mist.
YZE Bestiary - https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/320924/The-Servants-of-Memory

My Blog - https://is-it-a-monster.blogspot.com/

Instant Session - https://perchance.org/fl-session-generator

Monsters - https://perchance.org/fl-monster-generator

The1TrueFredrix

Tue 26 Mar 2019, 16:04

I too assumed that the lifting of the blood mist was a gradual process (After all, you can still get caught in it). And that an army camp might be a secure as a home. But the soldier in my party is an elf do for all I know his battles were before the bloodmist.
Effekt - A fan podcast celebrating Swedish RPGs including, but not limited to: Alien; Coriolis; Forbidden Lands; Symbaroum; and Tales from the Loop. Featuring discussion magazine episodes and Actual Play recordings. https://effektpodcast.org/

Rymdhamster

Tue 26 Mar 2019, 17:10

But the character backgrounds in the booklet actually includes reference to recent wars and battles, that is the bit that is slightly confusing due to the 300 year mist.
I can imagine the first year after the mist lifted was pretty eventfull. Everybodies still paranoid and worried it will return at any moment. And suddenly seeing there is another village on the other side of the hill, filled with dirty humans no less, probably led to some instant hostility =D

it could make sense if all the towns wear actually quite a bit bigger during the time of the mist. But the first thing every place did when it lifted was to put together an army to go out into the world and find out if it was really gone, and all these armies ran in to eachother and everybody thought everyone else was out to get them which triggered several early bloodbaths.

Tomas
Site Admin

Sun 31 Mar 2019, 18:24

Jumping in here real quick just to confirm what Brior already said - the idea is that the Blood Mist didn't disappear overnight, but rather lifted slowly over several years. 
Fria Ligan

Tanarii

Sun 16 Jun 2019, 15:55

It does seem the assumption is characters will be Young, so their recent experiences / background will have been within the last 5 years anyway.

I feel like if you're going to have players use the backgrounds & random meetings, you either need to formally set an new character age limit of Young, or push the lifting of the blood mist back appropriately.  Possibly a good idea even without the backgrounds. 

hperantunes

Tue 18 Jun 2019, 06:17

I have the impression most players choose Young characters just to maximize their attributes.

There's nothing implicit or explicit towards limiting new characters to the Young age if you're rolling their background, and nothing indicates that players' characters weren't active during the years of the Blood Mist.

Nakraal

Tue 18 Jun 2019, 14:35

My intention is to make the Mist last for something like 3-4 generations. Like the pc's grandfathers will remember their own grandfathers telling stories of the world before the Mist came.

I think 300 years of general isolation is so heavy that there would be a wave of minor consequences that a GM will not be able to see before they come to play. 
Eg why would an inhabitant of a village that produces no wine would know what wine is? Or fish? Why is there a common human tongue? Modern English evolved from Middle English within some centuries and two persons speaking each but not the other can't hope to communicate. The Rust Brothers ought to be seen as some kind of Demigods by the smallfolk after 10 generations.

I'm sure that every GM will be put in an awkward position by the most superficial thing that some witty player spots that makes suspension of disbelief a bit and abit harder

pellejones

Tue 18 Jun 2019, 21:12

People could still travel during daytime meaning communication between villages is possible. Especially of you have a horse.

javaapp

Wed 26 Jun 2019, 16:12

The following post makes the assertion that an exercised and well trained horse can manage traveling 80 to 100 k a day. That’s 8 to 10 hexes per day. Even an untrained horse can manage 3 to 5 hexes per day.

https://worldbuilding.stackexchange.com ... /6414#6414

This is more than enough to cover most of the ‘regional’ areas on the b&w endpaper map. I think it safe to say that there was constant traveling and even trade between holds and villages during the Blood Mist. You just didn’t go out at night.