Rymdhamster

Re: Importance of 300 years of Blood Mist?

Tue 26 Mar 2019, 11:20

I am curious how this has been rationalised by other players, where were these battles/wars fought and by whom?
I figure most battles happend before the mist decended, when the land was much more populated than now. Then the mist came an isolated all the towns and villages, but they keept telling the stories over and over again. And as stories do, they grew into these fantastical wars, and the opposite side became more and more demonized with each telling. So most of the racist trends are based on extreme exaguarations.

Then of course, during the time of the mist, occasionally a towns crops might have failed, and facing starvatin they set out into the mist to find food, perhaps by raiding other towns they came across. For some travel seems to have been possible during the mist, but incredibly risky. These raids of course inflated the hostility even more! You've heard these stories about how horrible the orcs are all you life, and then all of a sudden out of the deadly mist comes a hoard of them and steals what little food you have!

Then the mist lifts, and five years passes which should be just enough time that some people start realizing that maybe orcs and dwarfs and humans and elves aren't all that bad, besides now everyone needs something and most settlements probably don't have enough people to raid, so trade between old enemies is more or less a neccesity. But five years shouldn't be enought time to sway the generall opinion, just to soften it ever so lightly. So old tensions are still there.

lupex

Tue 26 Mar 2019, 15:39

But the character backgrounds in the booklet actually includes reference to recent wars and battles, that is the bit that is slightly confusing due to the 300 year mist.

The1TrueFredrix

Tue 26 Mar 2019, 16:04

I too assumed that the lifting of the blood mist was a gradual process (After all, you can still get caught in it). And that an army camp might be a secure as a home. But the soldier in my party is an elf do for all I know his battles were before the bloodmist.
Effekt - A fan podcast celebrating Swedish RPGs including, but not limited to: Alien; Coriolis; Forbidden Lands; Symbaroum; and Tales from the Loop. Featuring discussion magazine episodes and Actual Play recordings. https://effektpodcast.org/

Rymdhamster

Tue 26 Mar 2019, 17:10

But the character backgrounds in the booklet actually includes reference to recent wars and battles, that is the bit that is slightly confusing due to the 300 year mist.
I can imagine the first year after the mist lifted was pretty eventfull. Everybodies still paranoid and worried it will return at any moment. And suddenly seeing there is another village on the other side of the hill, filled with dirty humans no less, probably led to some instant hostility =D

it could make sense if all the towns wear actually quite a bit bigger during the time of the mist. But the first thing every place did when it lifted was to put together an army to go out into the world and find out if it was really gone, and all these armies ran in to eachother and everybody thought everyone else was out to get them which triggered several early bloodbaths.

Tomas
Site Admin

Sun 31 Mar 2019, 18:24

Jumping in here real quick just to confirm what Brior already said - the idea is that the Blood Mist didn't disappear overnight, but rather lifted slowly over several years. 
Fria Ligan
GZIP: Off