hperantunes

Calendar

Sat 02 Mar 2019, 18:30

How many days exactly has a year in the world of the Forbidden Lands?

The calendar in the Gamemaster's Guide says that there are eight phases in a year, split by eight festivals - each phase being 45 or 46 days long.

Are the festival days contained within a phase, in which case a year has 364 days, or do they literally fall between the phases for a total of 372 days?

Valyar

Re: Calendar

Sat 02 Mar 2019, 21:24

I was wondering the same while I was preparing a calendar module for Fantasy Grounds. Because the section is not verbose enough for those who are calendar freaks (I am not), I made the following decisions:
  • The festivals that divide the phases are on the 1st of the respective month that they precede.
  • The autumn/winter phases are with 45 days, leaving more days for fun in the spring/summer
  • There is no information on the days in a week, so I play it safe and familiar - 7 days.
  • The name of the week days are taken from Pathfinder. I think they sound quite appropriate for the setting.

hperantunes

Sat 02 Mar 2019, 23:33

Nice ideas.
Valyar:
  • There is no information on the days in a week, so I play it safe and familiar - 7 days.
  • The name of the week days are taken from Pathfinder. I think they sound quite appropriate for the setting. 
Regarding the days in a week, there's an interesting discussion in a different topic with some cool names.

Addramyr

Tue 12 Mar 2019, 19:01

Since it's made up calendar, I would do it with fixed numbers.

A year is 360 days. I won't bother with months being longer by 1 day or leap years or other such nonsense.
A phase (Lore equivalent of months) is 45 days, there are 8 phases per year.
That makes 5 weeks of 9 days each.

All whole numbers. All weeks of same amount of days. All months same same length.
Plus 360 days feels cool, it's like "a full circle".

Another advantage is the average cost of your hirelings in a stronghold is about 9 copper per day.
With weeks of 9 days, you can average this at 1 gold per week, which is convenient.

hperantunes

Wed 13 Mar 2019, 06:03

I'm most likely going to customize the calendar in my campaign, but I still think it would be nice to have something like the number of days in the game world's official calendar less subject to interpretation.

Maybe we could have additional details in a future Forbidden Lands book or online free supplement, eh? ;)
GZIP: Off