Magnapocryphe
Topic Author

Re: Animals, food, and zoology

Wed 13 Mar 2019, 16:39

It's true, but thé problem with being isolated is that growing a herd became harder i think.

It's the main topic i'm pointing at. Hunting and fishing was still possible, if there was a place to do so, close enough (few hours maximum).
And it's far less efficient than growing herd.
Then less meat in there plates, and more végétables, cause growing fruits and plants was still possible and easier. Isolation causes a sort of precarity, as to me.

On an other hand, cows and sheeps came back to something close to wildness, i think. :-)
If you see the Buddha on the road,
Kill the Buddha.

9littlebees

Thu 14 Mar 2019, 16:45

I like the suggestion that herding became a job for children. As a result, after the Bloodmist lifted, there are mostly only smaller herd animals are left - sheep, goats, and pigs.

Maybe there are one or two settlements which have cows. This creates some interesting power dynamics around dairy as a luxury food item. Cow-based butter, milk, cheese - these are all food items that are only slowly being distributed around the Ravenlands, and they are worth more than their weight in gold.

Goat and sheep dairy products are more widely available, but are considered vastly inferior. To the Ravenalnders, comparing goat / sheep dairy products to cow dairy products would be like comparing common mushrooms to truffles.
I make YZE games (https://drivethrurpg.com/browse.php?author=Matt%20Kay) and produce predominately Free League content on my YouTube channel (https://youtube.com/@3skulls)

robh

Fri 07 May 2021, 11:30

Im not sure I agree. People were prepared. Life was centered around the home or settlement and you were self-sustaining. The Mist only rose at night so you had the entire day to work the farm, hunt or fish. I think life in the villages worked just fine, the only thing you could not do was travel far. 
This is how I set the background as well. Interprets the core setting, is simple to both explain and understand and does not bring in any extra complications that need to be built into very subsequent adventure.