Magnapocryphe
Topic Author

Alderland and technology

Fri 22 Feb 2019, 18:54

Okay, I go straight on it.

SInce 1200 years, Alderland exist. Humans came here with a medieval technology.
Then they really mastered iron and many metals.
They have many mines too.

I can't hold myself to think that they may have some how develop powder, and other complex mechanics (small I mean, like pocket watches, etc.).

I'm not sure about the idea to go steampunk... it seem to be too much. But some powder and mechanic level is great.

It is my dream : the next book in FL will tell us about such a technological Alderland hidden behind the Ironlock.

If some one could mmake it true... I would pledge for it!!! :D
If you see the Buddha on the road,
Kill the Buddha.

hperantunes

Re: Alderland and technology

Sat 23 Feb 2019, 23:59

Keep in mind that in real life many civilizations didn't develop some of what we consider as advanced technology.

For example, mesoamerican peoples such as the Aztecs, Maya and Inca had pretty advanced civilizations at their heyday, yet there's no evidence that they have ever developed gunpower, optic devices and advanced metallurgy before they came into contact (violently) with foreign powers.

Magnapocryphe
Topic Author

Sun 24 Feb 2019, 09:14

You're right!
But considering what we know about Alderlanders, through what they bought during War, they are pretty more on an european way of évolution. Iron needs fire to bé made, cause it's an alliage. Then, mining and technological tries are in their culture...
Other people on earth were mostly limited by context and culture un addition ^^
It does not seem to bé the case right here.

Finally, i was honest and said it was a dream ;-)
I Hope it will be an option.
Kill the Buddha.

johnnii

Sun 24 Feb 2019, 17:18

For gunpowder I would put it to the Aslenes to be the primary developer with regards to their fiery culture :)

Röteborgaren

Sun 24 Feb 2019, 19:58

We fleshed out Alderland a bit in our campaign. Some key points about our Alderland (none of it canon):
  • A few hundred years ahead in technology. They use rapiers, flintlock pistols, cannons etc.. Inspired by renaissance Italy in fashion and architecture.
  • Expanded south into other regions during bloodmist in Ravenland.
  • Power split among several large merchant families. The king is more a formal title than anything.
  • Use of magic strictly illegal by punishment of death. Heavy punishments in general, and very strict laws.
  • However, crimes are all able to be absolved by paying fines. Meaning rich families can do pretty much anything and get away with it. Including keeping a court sorcerer.
This probably doesn't mesh all too much with the official settingbook that's on the way, but it works for us as a stark contrast to the chaos that is Ravenland :) It's really enjoyable when the PCs that grew up in Ravenland encounter strange new terms like "business enterprises" and "accountants". I also have some of the NPCs be inspired by Alderland practices like "Smithing as a Service" and "pick and mix arrows".
Resources for Forbidden Lands
Slumpgen NPC Generator for Android (EN, SE)
Collection of Houserules (EN, SE)
Fobbot the Discord Dice Bot (EN, SE)

Sherman

Mon 25 Feb 2019, 06:53

I always consider magic in a world to be a major inhibitor of technological advancement. Science is typically painfully slow, with tons of minor achievements interspersed with someone managing to put together enough of other people's efforts to actually make something noticeable. 

If my options are spending a lifetime figuring out how to polish glass correctly/master the gears of a watch or enslave people's minds/cure diseases with the wave of a hand, I don't know how much I'd be inclined towards the former. I'd expect people with wealth, ability, and determination to be impressive will do the thing that makes them impressive in their lifetime, even if hundreds or thousands have done similar things before. The option of throwing magic is just going to drain the talent pool I feel...

Eldhierta

Mon 25 Feb 2019, 13:48

I always consider magic in a world to be a major inhibitor of technological advancement. Science is typically painfully slow, with tons of minor achievements interspersed with someone managing to put together enough of other people's efforts to actually make something noticeable. 

If my options are spending a lifetime figuring out how to polish glass correctly/master the gears of a watch or enslave people's minds/cure diseases with the wave of a hand, I don't know how much I'd be inclined towards the former. I'd expect people with wealth, ability, and determination to be impressive will do the thing that makes them impressive in their lifetime, even if hundreds or thousands have done similar things before. The option of throwing magic is just going to drain the talent pool I feel...
My thoughts exactly. Why bother with gunpowder when you can sing your way through the bedrock of the mines and decimate your enemies with your will and mind alone?

hperantunes

Mon 25 Feb 2019, 22:51

For gunpowder I would put it to the Aslenes to be the primary developer with regards to their fiery culture :)
Actually a great idea, as in real life Europeans were not the ones to develop gunpowder either!

Sherman:
I always consider magic in a world to be a major inhibitor of technological advancement.
Same here. It's a common trope.

Magnapocryphe
Topic Author

Tue 26 Feb 2019, 15:59

To me it's just the opposite... about science and magic.

My reasons:
1- magic caster are a "higher" class in the society, that may hold status by power.
2- low people goes to depend on magic casters... and it's often a problem
3- science motive : give knowlegde to everybody, versus the secretive culture of magic

Even in a world with magic, except if the magic is used by every one, regardless his class, name, or anything else, the science goes strong, and maybe faster than another.
Indeed, the will of science is to understand world, but in those world, science would like to emulate magic power with no magic.
I mean, giving people an easier way of life, without the need for them to learn magic (that is always a long course).

If science had been inhibitated by magic, why make ship or forge? every body learn magic, and everybody is on his own with magic uses.
There is already a technologic level in medfan worlds. And i 1000 years, medfan worlds will be our, with magic.
We just don't see the technology in medfan because it's a far past that seems uncivilized for us. But it is not.
And it has already made several researches, and several scientific discoveries... that shall not be the lasts.

My only question is why people would stop to develop technology while a sorcerer can throw you a dead shot spell? I wanna dead shot him too! Create a gun for me! I'm not powerful enough!

And In FL, with the problem of Zygofer in Alderland, I realy consider that they feel the need for developping a strong offensive technology.

Rotborgaren:
Your ideas are great!
I was wondering about forbiding magic in alderland, regarding the Zygofer rebelion. You comfort me in my view of this question ;-)

To all:
In addition, i find that there is already some technological evolution dropped in the FL.
I'm thinking mainly about the floating ballon (travel event . 16).

But I don't want the dwarves to have all the mastercrafting in science.

My fuuuull dream would be human develop science, and goblins rise powder/mechanics science to a higher level.
To me goblins are the kin that is the closest to the human : selfish, opportunist, egoist, adpatable, smart, etc.
They would be likely to share a lot with them when they will realize that they could keep many benefits from this exchange, and gain respect from other kins... To me they are the kin that could be the link between humans and non humans. :-)
Kill the Buddha.

Aldorf

Wed 27 Feb 2019, 11:46

Röteborgaren's input is fantastic :) Think I will use it for inspiration.

My players have already come across an overrun dwarf hold at the edge of a new clan's kingdom. It had a laboratory where somebody has experimented with various powdered flowers and dragon scales to make explosives, even small daemons (though my players never found this out). They also found documents from the clan leader where this hold was charged with inventing some kind of explosives. Indications are that they have succeeded and therefore been granted the hold as their and the leader of the company made a lord in the clan. 

My plan is to introduce a type of hand cannon in the game, inaccurate and slow, but powerfull.