Sherman

Re: How do you start your campaign?

Tue 26 Feb 2019, 09:17

I literally said there is a beacon light on a distant hill so you opted to go check it out. I didn't have any idea what was up there until the second session. First session was them making characters, and then running into a group of Urhur Orcs who also went to check out the light. Insulted their leader who issued a formal challenge via thrown glove to defend the honor of the Empire. I was a little disappointed they didn't just jump into a fight so we could see the rules, and instead convinced the other orcs to stay out of it while their champions fought. It was pretty interesting really. In retrospect, I now see that six orcs would have absolutely murdered them, so good job team!

The light turned out to be the ghost of a slain Raven Sister who was summoning aid to their ruined temple on account of the spiritual distress of her distant sister in the Vale of the Dead. She gave them some cryptic hints about returning song to the Vale... I told them the vale was some distance away, which is good and bad I'm seeing. They are blowing past other points of interest to reach the "main quest" I guess, even though all they're getting for it is a 7sp Raven holy symbol. Which they already got. Feel indebted I guess? They're seeing the world though!

anachronist

Mon 11 Mar 2019, 13:14

I'm going to have a game of Forbidden Lands coming Friday (Stop reading this, Frank! I mean it!) at a friends birthday. So my preparation is the birthday gift. We'll see if this works out :)
I got me a sketchbook with blank pages and did some drawing and writing. Hopefully this is the start for a nice campaign logbook.
Obviously the last one is not done yet. I hope I find some time to finish it in time. This might become the first stronghold for the party.
Last edited by anachronist on Tue 12 Mar 2019, 08:58, edited 1 time in total.

Rymdhamster

Mon 11 Mar 2019, 13:35

I think that a great campaing should start in a tavern.
(Please observe that not all campaigns need to be great. And even if they do,  "should" does not equal "must". There are always exceptions).
I think the characters should already be a group (even if that happned just a few seconds ago), they should have a bunch of hooks to follow up on (treasure maps, letters of inheritance, legends about monsters), and a bunch of various NPC:s available to consult about the various hooks (or some of them, atleast) to get the planning started.
Mysterious old men in hooded robes are optional.

hperantunes

Mon 11 Mar 2019, 22:16

Unfortunateley the pics are not showing. What did I do wrong?
You need to put the direct link to the jpg images instead of just the address of the ibb.co url between the IMG tags. Nice drawings, by the way.

anachronist

Tue 12 Mar 2019, 08:59

Unfortunateley the pics are not showing. What did I do wrong?
You need to put the direct link to the jpg images instead of just the address of the ibb.co url between the IMG tags. Nice drawings, by the way.
That did the trick. Thx a lot.

Sherman

Tue 12 Mar 2019, 09:26

That is a simply amazing log book. I love it.