Arnold

Are the playable races to much antagonists?

Thu 04 Jan 2018, 19:45

In the short description of the 7 playable races, there seems to be much room for conflict between each other and only small room for coexistenz or cooperation. 
Dwarfs and Elves seems to  be able to work together, but with humans, both have big problems, and the halfelves have problems with humans and elves.
Orcs bring these problems to the edge.

I think it would be helpful to lower the potential of conflict, my group of players will exhaust these potential until they kill each other ...

Jurij 1138

Re: Are the playable races to much antagonists?

Thu 04 Jan 2018, 19:58

I love the conflict! Look at LotR and Conan - characters working together DESPITE their animosity. That's what builds powerful stories (IMHO), and what makes it fun to play. It also gives the GM a lot of tools for events and encounters.

lupex

Thu 04 Jan 2018, 20:56

Maybe there just needs to be something to expand on why they might work together?

Brior

Thu 04 Jan 2018, 21:10

What is not visible here is that in the full setting, alla kins have several factions, some who seek peace and some who seek annihilation. What you have seen is just the general player-version of kins. As a player you kan pretty much decide your attitude, but of course there will be complications if you travel to the core areas of traditional enemies. I think this will open opportunities för adventuring and interaction.

King_Kull

Fri 05 Jan 2018, 10:30

Yes, I think that a player can play as he wishes and a little animosity in a group isn’t so bad if it doesn’t escalate and will be civil. I had a group with an elf and a dwarf and they didn’t get along very well and have traded words every so often but it was more like Legolas and Gimli in the movie.
I am king!

9littlebees

Fri 05 Jan 2018, 18:59

I also like what is presented.  Year Zero games are pretty good at addressing PC relationships and I would always prompt my group to think long and hard before choosing a harmful relationship with another PC right out of the gate (at character creation), since this ultimately can cause the group (both PCs and players) unnecessary stress before we even start playing.  Sure, PC decisions during a campaign can cause tension, but that is as a result of exploring the fiction together.

roodie

Fri 05 Jan 2018, 19:27

One of my fondest RPG memories is a Warhammer Fantasy campaign a long, long time ago, where the party contained an arrogant high elf swordmaster and a shady dwarf (hint: these races don't get along well in Warhammer :-D). I let the players decide their own relationships, and the result was 2 years of endless fun. According to their story, the wandering swordmaster accidentally saved the dwarf, who felt obliged to repay the favour. 

The problem was that in the process the elf managed to save the dwarf 2 more times. 

The whole thing resulted in many, many hilarious scenes. Don't underestimate the players' creativity concerning character relationships :-) 
Last edited by roodie on Fri 05 Jan 2018, 23:59, edited 1 time in total.

lupex

Fri 05 Jan 2018, 19:37

Yes, I think that a player can play as he wishes and a little animosity in a group isn’t so bad if it doesn’t escalate and will be civil. I had a group with an elf and a dwarf and they didn’t get along very well and have traded words every so often but it was more like Legolas and Gimli in the movie.
I agree, a little animosity can be fun. I am currently playing a typical dwarf in an Advanced Fighting Fantasy adventure, I don't really like magic, elves, or the paladin that make up the rest of the party and I keep commenting as such but as we are an adventuring group we are mature enough not to have it cause real friction.

As I have said I would like to see some guidance for players on why they would tolerate other races and how they might of come together to form an adventuring party and why they might find it prudent to stay together.
GZIP: Off