Peter

Re: Peoples and clans

Sun 01 Oct 2017, 21:09

I like kin. It reeks old world to me. You also have ilk, for the not so positive referencing of nasty critters like svartalfer and vättar(goblins and gnomes?) and other such nefarious creations.
Its a touch too Olde Worlde for me .Risks sounding contrived.
Check out my BoL heroic migration period hack - Barbarians of the Dark Ages
Kolla mitt ny-klassika BRP-derivat - Monster och Människor

Harper

Sun 01 Oct 2017, 21:31

I'd like to see lots of rumours in this setting, some true, many not, something to inspire mystery, (and maybe create an adventure seed or two)

It would be kind of cool if you could also choose which rumours were true...

Eldhierta

Sun 01 Oct 2017, 21:33

I like kin. It reeks old world to me. You also have ilk, for the not so positive referencing of nasty critters like svartalfer and vättar(goblins and gnomes?) and other such nefarious creations.
Its a touch too Olde Worlde for me .Risks sounding contrived.
Well... how about folk then? The Elder Folk? Maybe? People just feels too mundane, too... dunno, modern?

Brior

Sun 01 Oct 2017, 21:48

I'd like to see lots of rumours in this setting, some true, many not, something to inspire mystery, (and maybe create an adventure seed or two)

That is absolutely so. I'm revising the adventure ”Weatherstone” right now and some details in the initial premises are simply untrue. The concept of misinterpretation has always interested me and is very much connected to the way our own world works. In my novels for instance, characters draw all kinds of conclusions that the reader knows to be false but that sound right to the ones drawing them.

Harper

Sun 01 Oct 2017, 22:22

That is absolutely so. I'm revising the adventure ”Weatherstone” right now and some details in the initial premises are simply untrue. The concept of misinterpretation has always interested me and is very much connected to the way our own world works. In my novels for instance, characters draw all kinds of conclusions that the reader knows to be false but that sound right to the ones drawing them.
That can create suspense and mystery, 
You would be neutral to the lack of information, but plant the "what if?" seed and you can bring in things like wonder, fear or hope, 
And I think the thing that retro gamers are looking for is that awe and wonder they had when they first started playing,
And if nothing else it should aggravate your curiosity, 

Patrick

Sun 01 Oct 2017, 23:36

Great to follow the discussions here! As for English terminology, we're considering "kin" instead of race and "svartalfer" will probably simply be goblins. Thoughts?
I like the sound of svartalfer rather than goblin, if it is a playable race.  "Goblin" sounds like a derogatory label used by other races/kin, not something the svartalfer would call themselves.

Jizmack

Sun 01 Oct 2017, 23:58

I thought “svartalfer” are “dark dwarfs” who live alongside the dark elves.
Is that the same as goblin?

King_Kull

Mon 02 Oct 2017, 00:34

What novels? Fantasy? And are they available in English or German?
I am king!

King_Kull

Mon 02 Oct 2017, 00:36

Please absolutely go with the Nordic names! Love them and they fit much better with the game world. I like kin :)
I am king!

negromaestro

Mon 02 Oct 2017, 00:47

Having the Nordic names is a good way the cement the theme of Forbidden Lands as being different from other English Language fantasy settings. 

However, please remember that GMs and Players who spend over 2 hours at a table will most likely just revert to common names regardless, including renaming using common adjectives too.

Hence, with regards to the "races" this will always get colloquially translated to "fantasy races" by players and not "fantasy kin" so if we are not using the Swedish name, we may as well stick to "races" since that is what most Players will call them irrespective of what is written in the books. 
GZIP: Off