Brior

Re: Peoples and clans

Sun 01 Oct 2017, 14:33

So, Aslene in the West. Horsemen, on and off wars with Alderland. We literally have crumbs to on, but if I were allowed an early guess I would think the inspiration is the great Seljuq Sultan Alp Arlsan - and that we should expect some turko-persian influence (although as it is Erik writing it may not be that straight-forward).
Your not so far from the mark, Peter. I've mostly looked at Scythians and Parthians so far. I definitely don't want the Game-of-thrones-horsemen or Djenghis Khan. On a side note, I've looked at cucutenian-tripyllian stone age clay figurines for the half elven druids that honor the god ”Drejaren” – ”Clay” (Gods mostly have short names like ”Rust”, ”Heme”, ”Clay”, ”Flow” etc – English names to TBD) from the same area.

Peter

Sun 01 Oct 2017, 15:15

Your not so far from the mark, Peter. I've mostly looked at Scythians and Parthians so far. I definitely don't want the Game-of-thrones-horsemen or Djenghis Khan. On a side note, I've looked at cucutenian-tripyllian stone age clay figurines for the half elven druids that honor the god ”Drejaren” – ”Clay” (Gods mostly have short names like ”Rust”, ”Heme”, ”Clay”, ”Flow” etc – English names to TBD) from the same area.
Now this is very cool. Wasnt familiar with Cucutenian-Tripyllian culture but those figurines have a lot of personality!
Completely agree on staying away from the dothraky/horde stereotype (now, a proper horde is different. The mongol armies were very organised and 'Ordu' is stil the Turkish word for army.) It would be very cool to see steppe peoples as a rich, chivalric - channeling Rustam more than Genghiz Khan
Check out my BoL heroic migration period hack - Barbarians of the Dark Ages
Kolla mitt ny-klassika BRP-derivat - Monster och Människor

Eldhierta

Sun 01 Oct 2017, 16:05

Concerning Ravenmen/Raven People a case could be made for actually not making a "chosen" humanoid race. Like, actual ravens could be his chosen. Maybe a giant race of highly intellectual ravens if you want stretch it (kind of like the Great Eagles from LotR). Or harpies or vildvittror (kind of the same thing)?

One thing I really like in open settings like these is when you have these pseudo-religious myths. Like in Dark Souls, where some of the noblest warriors strive to become dragons since there's a legend around that that actually can happen if you try hard enough. And then, when they finally start to transform, some of them become these slavering dumb beasts, while some actually transcend.

Actually, that could explain harpies/vildvittror as the seekers who've gone insane from the search while the great ravens are the fully transcended prophets of the Raven God. Heralds of the Raven's Purge =D

Harper

Sun 01 Oct 2017, 16:26

Ye olde tropes were a given when I started this so I though how to make something fresh without degenrating to ostrich riding elves (Swedes know what I'm referring to ;-) )
Why? Why would anyone do that?, what's wrong with these people???
Lol

Peter

Sun 01 Oct 2017, 16:45

And lo!
But beware, for you cannot unsee what you have seen.
The late 90's was a very dark time in Sweden...

Brior

Sun 01 Oct 2017, 17:18

Concerning Ravenmen/Raven People a case could be made for actually not making a "chosen" humanoid race. Like, actual ravens could be his chosen. Maybe a giant race of highly intellectual ravens if you want stretch it (kind of like the Great Eagles from LotR). Or harpies or vildvittror (kind of the same thing)?

One thing I really like in open settings like these is when you have these pseudo-religious myths. Like in Dark Souls, where some of the noblest warriors strive to become dragons since there's a legend around that that actually can happen if you try hard enough. And then, when they finally start to transform, some of them become these slavering dumb beasts, while some actually transcend.

Actually, that could explain harpies/vildvittror as the seekers who've gone insane from the search while the great ravens are the fully transcended prophets of the Raven God. Heralds of the Raven's Purge =D
I like the idea of making something more of the ravens and will bring it up with FL.
(Incidently there are wild ravens in the woods where I walk daily with my dogs. Remarkable birds, beautiful plumage ;-).)

Tomas
Site Admin

Sun 01 Oct 2017, 19:51

Great to follow the discussions here! As for English terminology, we're considering "kin" instead of race and "svartalfer" will probably simply be goblins. Thoughts?
Fria Ligan

Peter

Sun 01 Oct 2017, 20:00

As for English terminology, we're considering "kin" instead of race and "svartalfer" will probably simply be goblins. Thoughts?
Sounds good, although if Svartalf is Goblin, then how is Vätte translated?
Personally I think "People" works - if nothing else it has form from Tolkien...

Eldhierta

Sun 01 Oct 2017, 20:32

Great to follow the discussions here! As for English terminology, we're considering "kin" instead of race and "svartalfer" will probably simply be goblins. Thoughts?
I like kin. It reeks old world to me. You also have ilk, for the not so positive referencing of nasty critters like svartalfer and vättar(goblins and gnomes?) and other such nefarious creations.
Last edited by Eldhierta on Sun 01 Oct 2017, 20:33, edited 1 time in total.

Harper

Sun 01 Oct 2017, 20:33

And lo!
But beware, for you cannot unsee what you have seen.
The late 90's was a very dark time in Sweden...
My brains coping mechanism chose to see that as a comedy...
Much like Cthulhu......
GZIP: Off