Brior

Re: Peoples and clans

Sun 01 Oct 2017, 12:30

The plan is that all these four will be playable from start. Potentially playable other peoples at this point are ogres, halflings, vargfolk, ”neslingar” (svartnissar) – sort of goblins, black elfs and probably some more. Also there will be several options within the four main peoples as they have several factions each.
By black elf, you mean Svartalf, right? Not Dark Elves? 
Depending on the concept you may prefer keeping the Swedish Svartalf (which gives it a norse mythology ring) or go for hobgoblin in terms of translation
Yes I mean ”svartalf” – I just have to wing it here in English. I write all my stuff for the game in Swedish and leave the translations to others (although I have a say of course). Again I feel the problem with translating ”släkte” which I prefer to ”race” – not only out of political reasons but out of biological ones. I use ”people” for the time being.

Brior

Sun 01 Oct 2017, 12:41

Beastmen? Hm, for me it’s very Warhammeresque. There will be Wolfmen, if I recall correctly, but Rhinos and Elephants - or other animals - steroids TMNT for my taste. Therefore no ducks ;)

Who has given the elder people the savage orcs? The Raven God? Or were the orcs created by the humans?

Especially interested in Erik‘s take of the halfling as the are normally an uninteresting race to me. But perhaps they have a nice twist? Are they a mix of an old forgotten race and demons perhaps? They look like lively cherubs but they are hiding a dark secret...

Sadly no troll... :( Was only interested in this race as a playable character because I‘m a Troll - as a pledge level ;)
Never played Warhammer myself, so that's not my inspiration.
Concerning the orcs they were surely not made by the humans. Either a godly creation or they already lived there and simply were enslaved for the purpose. Myth doesn't always correspond to realities…
What I'd like to do is have the halflings be ”the good side” of one species and perhaps the ”svartalf” the bad side. Perhaps they are born as twins resulting from some godly deal (”OK, you can have one if I have one too”) I'll be back with more concerning this.
Concerning trolls: there will inevitably be sacrifices and decisions here. If we try making everybody happy it'll be a mess. My personal priorities in building a fantasy world is coherence with believable build-in problems.

Peter

Sun 01 Oct 2017, 12:57

The plan is that all these four will be playable from start. Potentially playable other peoples at this point are ogres, halflings, vargfolk, ”neslingar” (svartnissar) – sort of goblins, black elfs and probably some more. Also there will be several options within the four main peoples as they have several factions each.
By black elf, you mean Svartalf, right? Not Dark Elves? 
Depending on the concept you may prefer keeping the Swedish Svartalf (which gives it a norse mythology ring) or go for hobgoblin in terms of translation
Yes I mean ”svartalf” – I just have to wing it here in English. I write all my stuff for the game in Swedish and leave the translations to others (although I have a say of course). Again I feel the problem with translating ”släkte” which I prefer to ”race” – not only out of political reasons but out of biological ones. I use ”people” for the time being.
Sounds good, I thought that might be the case. Can't think of a better translation for Släkte than "people". I mean I suppose something like "kin" could technically be an option, but I just doesnt have the right ring.
Check out my BoL heroic migration period hack - Barbarians of the Dark Ages
Kolla mitt ny-klassika BRP-derivat - Monster och Människor

The1TrueFredrix

Sun 01 Oct 2017, 13:34

I’m usually not a fan of a “new” setting falling back on the old tropes of human/elf/dwarf/orc etc, but given this is a retro style world, i’m very happy to see them here. I especially like the Orc has slave race idea (I ran a homebrew campaign back in the ‘80’s where PC’s raided the goblin coast and caught slaves, before realising that THEY were the bad guys). But I have to ask,

How well do Drawfs and Elves get along?
Effekt - A fan podcast celebrating Swedish RPGs including, but not limited to: Alien; Coriolis; Forbidden Lands; Symbaroum; and Tales from the Loop. Featuring discussion magazine episodes and Actual Play recordings. https://effektpodcast.org/

Peter

Sun 01 Oct 2017, 13:38

Beastmen? Hm, for me it’s very Warhammeresque. There will be Wolfmen, if I recall correctly, but Rhinos and Elephants - or other animals - steroids TMNT for my taste. Therefore no ducks ;)
I don't think this draws on the Old World much at all. Vargfolk are more likely to be protagonists than antagonists (although they can be pretty savage) - same with the other classic 'djurfolk'  (animal-folk) of old school Swedish BRP role-playing.Even the rat-folk were basically good guys, more Reepicheep than Skaven.

EDIT: Ooops pretty much ninjaed. Take the opportunity to say that I really love the way the peoples are grounded in the setting. Nothings generic, and even the classic antagonisms are sort of retro-engineered. Very cool
Last edited by Peter on Sun 01 Oct 2017, 13:41, edited 1 time in total.

King_Kull

Sun 01 Oct 2017, 13:39

Never played Warhammer myself, so that's not my inspiration.
Never played WFRP? Uh oh... ;)
Concerning the orcs they were surely not made by the humans. Either a godly creation or they already lived there and simply were enslaved for the purpose. Myth doesn't always correspond to realities...
Ok, very nice. Perhaps the orcs were there before the elf’s and dwarves in the Ravenland and they are the natives.
What I'd like to do is have the halflings be ”the good side” of one species and perhaps the ”svartalf” the bad side. Perhaps they are born as twins resulting from some godly deal (”OK, you can have one if I have one too”) I'll be back with more concerning this.
Hopefully you‘ll be back with more soon ;) This is a very interesting theme.
Concerning trolls: there will inevitably be sacrifices and decisions here. If we try making everybody happy it'll be a mess. My personal priorities in building a fantasy world is coherence with believable build-in problems.
It was rather a joke because my pledge level is Troll. Totally understandable that you can’t make everyone happy. And you’re absolutely core to make a coherent world that is believable. Good work so far and I‘m so excited about the game!
I am king!

King_Kull

Sun 01 Oct 2017, 13:45

I don't think this draws on the Old World much at all. Vargfolk are more likely to be protagonists than antagonists (although they can be pretty savage) - same with the other classic 'djurfolk'  (animal-folk) of old school Swedish BRP role-playing.Even the rat-folk were basically good guys, more Reepicheep than Skaven.
Have nothing against beastmen per se if they are coherent with the world. But I‘m not a fan of elephant, rhino, squirrel, zebra, etc. man because that reminds me too much of TMNT and it makes a setting for me more comical and that’s not what I would like for FL. But Ravenmen could be interesting because they could be the favourite race of the Raven God...
I am king!

silverfoxdmt73

Sun 01 Oct 2017, 13:59

Have nothing against beastmen per se if they are coherent with the world. But I‘m not a fan of elephant, rhino, squirrel, zebra, etc. man because that reminds me too much of TMNT and it makes a setting for me more comical and that’s not what I would like for FL. But Ravenmen could be interesting because they could be the favourite race of the Raven God...
I wouldn't want anything included for comic value either. There are many traits to beast races that can be expanded upon to make them a 'serious' part of the lore of FL, or any other setting. TMNT isn't the only game to include them. 

Peter

Sun 01 Oct 2017, 14:00

So, Aslene in the West. Horsemen, on and off wars with Alderland. We literally have crumbs to on, but if I were allowed an early guess I would think the inspiration is the great Seljuq Sultan Alp Arlsan - and that we should expect some turko-persian influence (although as it is Erik writing it may not be that straight-forward).

Brior

Sun 01 Oct 2017, 14:10

I’m usually not a fan of a “new” setting falling back on the old tropes of human/elf/dwarf/orc etc, but given this is a retro style world, i’m very happy to see them here. I especially like the Orc has slave race idea (I ran a homebrew campaign back in the ‘80’s where PC’s raided the goblin coast and caught slaves, before realising that THEY were the bad guys). But I have to ask,

How well do Drawfs and Elves get along?
Ye olde tropes were a given when I started this so I though how to make something fresh without degenrating to ostrich riding elves (Swedes know what I'm referring to ;-) )

Dwarves and elves have a ”working relation” I'd say. Elves consider dwarves somewhat like Neanderthals while dwarves think elves are useless dreamers. Both would say of the other: ”I guess they make some minor contributions while missing the big picture. Mostly harmless though.”
GZIP: Off