Monstertomten
Topic Author

Travel between Ravenland and Alderland

Sat 18 May 2019, 19:24

In the history of the Forbidden Lands there are many occasions when the difficulty of travel between Ravenland and Alderland is of importance. Since there are no maps of Alderland I've imagined the western coast continued southward from Ravenland into Alderland.

Then it struck me... why not travel to the Forbidden lands by boat? It suddenly seems illogical to build a giant wall in a mountain pass when you can just take a fisherman's boat to travel between the countries. Somewhat of a game breaker when it comes to world building...

I have a few thoughts on this myself. But would love to hear what you guys think of this.

Brior

Re: Travel between Ravenland and Alderland

Sat 18 May 2019, 19:41

I had some thoughts on this, but they never made it to the final setting – don't remember why really. The main point from a gaming perspective is that we don't want people to travel to Alderland since it's not there yet obviously. Also there was hesitation on letting people travel from Alderland to Ravenland since we don't want other then anecdotal knowledge of Alderland in Ravenland. Otherwise I think it would have been neat to have criminals lowered into Ravenland, never to be allowed to return (much like in the movie ”Escape from New York”). My first map draft had a mine camp close to the Iron Lock, where newcomers were welcomed (as workforce / slaves / goods) and were given a first introduction to Ravenland.

Concerning preventing boating, there was talk about godly sea monsters or a giant maelstrom in the water, combined with insufficient knowledge of building ships able to leave the coastline. As there probably will be boating in an upcoming expansion, this will not work.

So you can either allow sailing to Ravenland or stop it in some other way. My suggestion is a device I used in a world I drew in the 80-ies and 90-ies, where the sea surface is not necessarily flat in all places. Imagine a permanent immobile wave hemming in the Ravenland coast – a water ridge. You cant sail upwater since your boat will simply slide back from the attempt to cross it. I think that idea is pretty elegant and not too hard to accept.

Brior

Sat 18 May 2019, 19:42

… and the western coastline does indeed continue down to Alderland.

Monstertomten
Topic Author

Sat 18 May 2019, 20:15

Wonderful answer! Especially since the plan is to actually let the players be criminals lowered into Ravenland with the words "never look back" or somesuch ;)

I was thinking of a less startling obstacle preventing alderlanders from reaching the western coast, such as high mountains and a deep dangerous forest. But now! The unmoving tsunami will be there for sure.

ColinGoblin

Tue 21 Feb 2023, 15:35

I'm new to forbidden lands and I'm french, so I struggle a bit on this one. So Alderland is the lands just south the Ravenland, where the human came from for the multiple invasions and war ? I Always though it was the first land of the human, from where they were brought by Wyrm before they arrive in Ravenland

bergec

Thu 23 Feb 2023, 22:58

I'm new to forbidden lands and I'm french, so I struggle a bit on this one. So Alderland is the lands just south the Ravenland, where the human came from for the multiple invasions and war ?
That is correct. It is the land originally bequeathed to them by Wyrm while the elves and dwarves had the Ravenland, with the mountain range called the Divide raised to separate them.
I Always though it was the first land of the human, from where they were brought by Wyrm before they arrive in Ravenland
No, that is a land across the sea to the east. There's a bit more detail about it in the forthcoming Aslene book.
Eric Christian Berg

jasales

Fri 24 Feb 2023, 18:02

We are talking about the Eastern coast right? Must be because there isn't a coast on the west of the map.

jasales

Fri 24 Feb 2023, 18:04

Those unmoving wave forms are a really cool idea! Thanks for sharing that!

Brior

Fri 24 Feb 2023, 18:14

We are talking about the Eastern coast right? Must be because there isn't a coast on the west of the map.
Yes, my fault: that is of course the eastern coast! The west coast lies beyond Aslene and The Drawn Lands, where Albenzee begins …

jasales

Fri 24 Feb 2023, 22:12

Yes, my fault: that is of course the eastern coast! The west coast lies beyond Aslene and The Drawn Lands, where Albenzee begins …
And you cleverly just added more to our maps! You! Nice job!