Attackmack

Willpower and house rules?

Sat 21 Sep 2019, 08:34

I may be GMing Forbiden Lands in the near future and have been reading up on the rules and such to start planning for it.
But im a little puzzled over the rules for willpower points, and how to gain them. The rulebook (as usual for Free league games) does encourage to keep the rolls to a minimum, not rolling for basic things and only rolling if the result can be of interest for the game.
But willpower can only be gained through rolls and pushing them.

It doesnt feel fair to mages etc.

How does the system work as written, and does anyone have any house rules dealing with this?

Attackmack

Re: Willpower and house rules?

Sat 21 Sep 2019, 08:54

I see several threads on the topic so maybe I was too quick to start another one :D

Seems plenty of good ideas and thoughts around, as well as some house rules. Making sure a spellcaster isnt defenseless without WPs, and maybe allowing everyone to start with 1 point.

myrsloken

Sat 21 Sep 2019, 09:27

I see several threads on the topic so maybe I was too quick to start another one :D

Seems plenty of good ideas and thoughts around, as well as some house rules. Making sure a spellcaster isnt defenseless without WPs, and maybe allowing everyone to start with 1 point.
The first thing you have to realize (and communicate to your players!) is that there are no D&D-style spellcasters in the forbidden lands. Unless you heavily modify the rules, sorcerers and druids have to pick up some weapon skills and talents to be able to fight effectively.

Ebrim

Sat 21 Sep 2019, 18:49

Magic isn’t supposed to be a throw-away thing in FBL. It’s potentially quite risky and powerful. Unless you want to heavily modify your game it’s probablu best to ditch the idea of the squishy wizard wielding firebolts. Sorcerers and druids are going to need ways to participate and help with combat situations that aren’t magic. Whether that’s directly getting into the melee, learning ranged skills, or trying to “help” their comrades.

This all said, I find WP to not be hard for my players to obtain.

Valyar

Sat 21 Sep 2019, 20:09

I didn't find the need for willpower house rule. It is important resources for the players and I should not be taken away or moderated, as a lot of talents use WP.
It was a bit annoying for the GM in the 1st edition of the rules, but with the 2nd edition where GM has no WP - I love it :D

lupex

Sat 21 Sep 2019, 20:56

In my game we use small stone skulls to represent willpower. As he Gm I miss my pile of 30 skulls.
My Forbidden Lands Session Generator - https://perchance.org/fl-session-generator
(Legends, Villages, Castles, Dungeons and NPCs)

My Forbidden Lands Monster Generator - https://perchance.org/fl-monster-generator

faun

Mon 23 Sep 2019, 01:41

In my game we use small stone skulls to represent willpower.  As he Gm I miss my pile of 30 skulls.
you can still keep the pool, it just never runs out lol. That sounds fun, I have a player who can't ever keep track of WP, she has vision issues, so physical tokens might be excellent. Thanks for the idea.

Attackmack

Mon 23 Sep 2019, 18:07

Using some form of tokens or beads for WP is a great idea. Maybe coins of some sort :)

lupex

Mon 23 Sep 2019, 20:16

I also use tokens for xp.
My Forbidden Lands Session Generator - https://perchance.org/fl-session-generator
(Legends, Villages, Castles, Dungeons and NPCs)

My Forbidden Lands Monster Generator - https://perchance.org/fl-monster-generator
GZIP: Off