MegaMagus

Converting OSR gold values to Forbidden Lands

Thu 19 Sep 2019, 16:03

Hey everyone, we have had a nice discussion on here about converting OSR monsters from other systems into forbidden lands, now I have a new question. How should we convert gold values?
I am aware that in old systems gold was the main method of acquiring xp on top of wealth, if we ignore that and think about pure wealth conversion of gold from other systems to forbidden lands, how might it work?

I have an adventure I would like to convert and run, it is already fairly system neutral but the treasure that PCs may find is listed in terms of gp value. Now I'm pretty sure this was designed for an older D&D system (think B/X or something). For reference, a small golden amulet is worth 1gp in this adventure but a hoard that the PCs may find contains items worth 250gp or so in total. The obvious answer would be to convert gp into Forbidden Lands silver (as that is the main currency in this game, rather than the usual gold), but I am not sure if this is the right way to go about it. I have not run much Forbidden Lands myself at present and so I don't really have a good sense of how much things are worth. I know gold seems to be quite rare and only for very precious things so I'm thinking 250gp->250 silver= 25 gold, that seems like a lot to me at first glance but again, I'm not really sure. In contrast 1gp->1 silver for a golden amulet seems like very little, that's like half of what a throwing knife is worth.

Let me know your thoughts good people!

Ebrim

Re: Converting OSR gold values to Forbidden Lands

Thu 19 Sep 2019, 16:25

I would drastically reduce any rewards found to make it setting consistent. Forbidden Lands loses a lot when you take away scarcity. So maybe just have the gold amulet (5d6 silver further modified by buyer) as a treasure in one place. In another place maybe replace the total coin value with a variable amount of coins of different qualities so instead of 60 coins, have 10d6 coins, some copper, some silver, some gold etc. Or maybe have some large unwieldly thing that is inherently valuable but difficult to move like an Altar made of precious metal... That way merely moving it around turns into an interesting potential problem.

One of my players found a small stash of variable coins in an adventure recently and I had fun making them roll for it.

lupex

Thu 19 Sep 2019, 22:28

I would replace the listed treasure with a roll on the find lists.
My Forbidden Lands Session Generator - https://perchance.org/fl-session-generator
(Legends, Villages, Castles, Dungeons and NPCs)

My Forbidden Lands Monster Generator - https://perchance.org/fl-monster-generator

MegaMagus

Fri 20 Sep 2019, 02:34

Yes I think the treasure hoard is already listed in terms of big items that have a total value of 250gp if they were sold.

Rolling for finds seems like a good way to do it, probably simple for the amulet and a few valuables for the hoard. Thanks guys
GZIP: Off