Nakraal

Re: Waterskin/Quiver/Backpack

Tue 17 Sep 2019, 15:42

So, what I have done is that sacks and backpacks expand how many things you can carry. Eg a Sack makes your encumbrance threshold STRx2+1, a backpack STRx2+4.
Do you think this is too much?

Fenhorn

Tue 17 Sep 2019, 15:53

So, what I have done is that sacks and backpacks expand how many things you can carry. Eg a Sack makes your encumbrance threshold STRx2+1, a backpack STRx2+4.
It will make the talent pack rat, quite pointless.
“I’d say thistles, but nobody listens to me, anyway.” - Eeyore

Ebrim

Tue 17 Sep 2019, 17:36

Oh really? Do all consumable types take a slot? How did I miss this
Yep, pg. 38 of phb under encumbrance. I missed it to early in our campaign, a player pointed it out to me. :)

Ebrim

Tue 17 Sep 2019, 17:47

Definitely too much. They should buy a donkey or hire a guy to carry extra stuff.

Slam Hammerfist

Tue 17 Sep 2019, 20:49

I was under the assumption that a sack is what the food is carried in. So your gear is the backpack, your food is in the sack, your water is in the waterskin, and your arrows are in a quiver. Each having no encumbrances if empty.

lupex

Tue 17 Sep 2019, 20:56

I was under the assumption that a sack is what the food is carried in. So your gear is the backpack, your food is in the sack, your water is in the waterskin, and your arrows are in a quiver. Each having no encumbrances if empty.
Exactly
My Forbidden Lands Session Generator - https://perchance.org/fl-session-generator
(Legends, Villages, Castles, Dungeons and NPCs)

My Forbidden Lands Monster Generator - https://perchance.org/fl-monster-generator

Tomas
Site Admin

Wed 18 Sep 2019, 18:11

I was under the assumption that a sack is what the food is carried in.  So your gear is the backpack, your food is in the sack, your water is in the waterskin, and your arrows are in a quiver.  Each having no encumbrances if empty.
Correct. The intent is that you need a waterskin or similar to carry water, for example, but the waterskin itself does not encumber you. This could have been clearer. 
Fria Ligan

faun

Thu 19 Sep 2019, 02:05

So backpack has 10 slots, if food,water,torches take up full lines, then there are 7 lines left correct? (knapsacks have six lines to start with) that's the correct way to take up the backpack space correct?

My question is if I have items strapped to the outside of the backpack such as tent/bedroll, rope, extra weapon, torches. Would those still take up lines, or are those items able to be 'added' to a backpack?

Slam Hammerfist

Thu 19 Sep 2019, 02:48

I don't think the lines on the character sheet are your necessarily whats in your backpack, but rather everything you can carry, regardless of where its stored.  Your knapsack is only to hold your food, not items, so it has no "slots".  Unless your talking about the Peddlers knapsack, but that's a way different thing.  Each characters carrying capacity is 2x their strength.  Tiny items take up no space up to 100 of them if i recall, light items take up half a space each, normal items take up one space each, and heavy items take up 2 spaces each.  So if you have strength 3 you can care 12 light items, or 6 normal items, or 3 heavy items, or any combination of them adding up to 6 spaces.  And I might be total wrong about this, but I'm pretty sure that includes armor you're wearing, and weapons you're using as well... or am i just really mean to my players?  hahaha.

faun

Thu 19 Sep 2019, 03:52

so the way i do it:
On your body - these items are in your hands or wearing. They are represented by 2x your strength in lines (each line is 1 normal item)
In your knapsack/backpack/mount These are represented by 6 lines (knapsack (remember reading that somewhere in the book) 10 lines for Backpack (Again read this somewhere) and Mound (2x strength in lines.) 

Each light item takes up 1/2 line
Each normal item takes up a full 'line' 
Each heavy item takes up 2 lines (some may take more but those are in the description)

The tiny items are accounted for in a separate box with <100 not weighing anything but they can be on body etc but in pouches or such.

This gives peddlers with the talent or packrat talent lots of goodness and also keeps players from stuffing to much.

I've been thinking of adding the extra slots on a backpack (on the outside) just from watching backpackers and those who carry things like that strapping things to the outside of the pack.
GZIP: Off