MegaMagus

Waterskin/Quiver/Backpack

Wed 11 Sep 2019, 14:28

Hi everyone! Just wondering the purpose of and assumptions of use to do with these gear items mentioned in the title. I know none of them encumber the wearer but they also offer no purpose other than the waterskin "is required to carry water". So are these just gear items that the PCs are assumed to start with? And you just assume this is how they carry their gear, arrows and water. This came up because one of my players selected a waterskin as their starting trade good and I said to them "no I think we can just assume you start with that to carry your water, so remove it from your gear list and choose something else". Is this the correct approach?

Fenhorn

Re: Waterskin/Quiver/Backpack

Wed 11 Sep 2019, 14:37

You have to carry things somehow. It is up to the player to describe how. If you don't have a quiver, then you have to have your arrows in your backpack and you can't draw those arrows very quickly. If he doesn't have a backpack, then you have to carry things in your hands.
“I’d say thistles, but nobody listens to me, anyway.” - Eeyore

todneykros

Wed 11 Sep 2019, 23:16

Hmmm... Assuming that such a ruling could surely solve the problem, it seems to me that is something that "was left in the pen" when writing the rules! It would be interesting to have an official answer because i use the same very ruling, but i feel Just like filling a blank...

lupex

Wed 11 Sep 2019, 23:37

I’m sure I read this somewhere?
My Forbidden Lands Session Generator - https://perchance.org/fl-session-generator
(Legends, Villages, Castles, Dungeons and NPCs)

My Forbidden Lands Monster Generator - https://perchance.org/fl-monster-generator

GoblinLoveChild

Thu 12 Sep 2019, 06:32

Due to the survival aspect of this game I make them carry the item as an equipment item. taking up lines on their character sheet as necessary.

lupex

Thu 12 Sep 2019, 07:17

Due to the survival aspect of this game I make them carry the item as an equipment item. taking up lines on their character sheet as necessary.
I think the intention is that as each resource takes up a slot, this would include what is used to carry the resource, otherwise that means they have already lost 4 encumbrance slots for backpack, food, water skin, water, which seems quite excessive.
My Forbidden Lands Session Generator - https://perchance.org/fl-session-generator
(Legends, Villages, Castles, Dungeons and NPCs)

My Forbidden Lands Monster Generator - https://perchance.org/fl-monster-generator

Ebrim

Fri 13 Sep 2019, 05:13

Water skin is an assumed piece of equipment you have (36). One doesn’t necessarily need to be written down though I might include it in notes. A spare one could very well be useful to have. I can definitely see making someone lose one as a result of a journeying mishap for example.

Gear for carrying other gear doesn’t cause encumbrance (36). The only exception I’d make to that is extra gear, like an extra backpack. I also don’t count worn clothes but would count carried clothes.

GoblinLoveChild

Mon 16 Sep 2019, 08:03

I know im getting into the realism vs game debate here, but in my experience water is heavy to carry. especially when you have to carry a lot to survive a few days.

Ebrim

Mon 16 Sep 2019, 17:12

I know im getting into the realism vs game debate here, but in my experience water is heavy to carry. especially when you have to carry a lot to survive a few days.
Absolutely. Carried water is counted as a normal item for encumbrance. Or to put it differently, the waterskin has no encumbrance beyond the water within it.

MegaMagus

Tue 17 Sep 2019, 14:49

Absolutely. Carried water is counted as a normal item for encumbrance. Or to put it differently, the waterskin has no encumbrance beyond the water within it.
Oh really? Do all consumable types take a slot? How did I miss this
GZIP: Off