Spiraller

Bloodling

Fri 12 Jul 2019, 19:04

According to the book, a bloodling suffers d3 dmg every round a torch or lantern is within arm's length of it. Now, what if a player decides to use their action to swing or thrust a torch at it? Would you allow for another d3 dmg? Or dmg per 6 rolled? Or no extra dmg on top of the per round dmg?

Emperyan

Re: Bloodling

Fri 12 Jul 2019, 21:07

Still within Arm's Length no?
Slightly more seriously, I'd let the players attack with the torch or lantern as a regular attack (Base Melee, Dmg 1, Blunt) and apply the bonus light damage per round as a separate entity. So, no "extra" damage but they can use the light source to attack the Bloodling.

Spiraller

Fri 12 Jul 2019, 21:54

That makes sense. Only thing is that I wonder if a gear dice is necessary to account for a broken torch. Also, half dmg or full dmg? Since it's not a copper weapon...

Emperyan

Fri 12 Jul 2019, 23:55

I'd say half... unless they have a copper lantern ;)
Personally, I wouldn't give them a Gear die (more chance to succeed!) but I would make them roll for the Consumable depletion after the encounter (broke torch, spilled the oil, etc.)

Whenever I'm in doubt I tend towards the harsher rulings... Like the books says "Nothing is for free" and "Them that's got shall lose"! 

Spiraller

Sun 14 Jul 2019, 05:50

Still within Arm's Length no?
Slightly more seriously, I'd let the players attack with the torch or lantern as a regular attack (Base Melee, Dmg 1, Blunt) and apply the bonus light damage per round as a separate entity. So, no "extra" damage but they can use the light source to attack the Bloodling.
Would the number of torches or lanterns affect the amount of dmg per round? Or is it a single d3 regardless of how many light sources at arm's length?

Emperyan

Mon 15 Jul 2019, 03:46

I think just the 1d3... my watch word for rulings in this system is always default to the hardest setting.
If they'd meant for there to be more damage for more light, I think the rules would have said 1d per light source or make an attack with a number of dice equaling the number of light sources. Bonus 1d3 straight damage is already pretty generous so...

faun

Mon 15 Jul 2019, 03:57

I think just the 1d3... my watch word for rulings in this system is always default to the hardest setting.
I think this makes sense, also I'd use a moth to flame mentality, and more bloodlings would be attracted to the light until the light is gone. Otherwise 300 years doesn't make sense, a couple of fires and they'd be gone.
GZIP: Off